Nbn A-1

Not a Snapbow?

14 replies to this topic

#1 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:51 AM

Commission work for one of my clan members led me to finally have enough interest to design and build my first homemade(not including the +bow). It is inspired by the SNAPbow but is a little different.
Body shot:
Posted Image
Frontal:
Posted Image
Plunger rod setup:
Posted Image
Plunger head detail:
Posted Image
Clothes-pin trigger:
Posted Image

Questions?

#2 nerfer75

nerfer75

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:05 AM

Ranges?
---nerfer75---
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.--Revelation 20:15

#3 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:43 AM

Conservatively, I would say 90 feet. It probably gets more, and I probably could alter the design to get more. I just didn't this time around because I was strapped for time and I'm not getting paid that much for it. I needed to have it done in time for CDNOW which is today.

#4 UpperHand

UpperHand

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:05 PM

For the trigger, it looks like you screwed in the metal L. What screws would be short enough w/out messing up the trigger?

EDIT- Also, when you cut a trench for the O-ring, how do you do it? I tried once=Effeminate fail.

Edited by UpperHand, 06 December 2008 - 12:07 PM.

My SCR-6
My Homemade Sidearm
The least you could do is tell me some advice. geese!

-- Headshot 21

#5 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:27 PM

Nice variations. Is the plunger head a rubber washer sandwiched between an endcap and a cut off endcap? Also, is the rear endcap bolted clear through the tube? It's a nice solution to getting annoying tiny screw holes to line up, and eventually having those holes wear out.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#6 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:50 PM

I'm sorry, but this is really bugging me. This is not based off the SNAPbow, it is based off the SNAP. The SNAPbow was just a SNAP with a stock.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#7 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:41 PM

Pretty much. The SNAPbow features quite few refinements, the stock being only the most obvious one. This is absolutely closer to the original SNAP, but I'm glad my design is helping to popularize Carbon's.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#8 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:31 PM

Nice variations. Is the plunger head a rubber washer sandwiched between an endcap and a cut off endcap? Also, is the rear endcap bolted clear through the tube? It's a nice solution to getting annoying tiny screw holes to line up, and eventually having those holes wear out.

Yes, the rubber washer comes directly from the +bow partslist, and since it has an OD of 1.375 and 1-1/4" PVC has an ID of 1.360, a little careful sanding of the washer is needed, but once you get it sanded down, it seals perfectly. And I used 2" 6-32 screws to bolt the cap on.

For the trigger, it looks like you screwed in the metal L. What screws would be short enough w/out messing up the trigger?

I just used a wood screw that I had lying around. I drilled a pilot hole, then screwed the wood screw in, then cut off everything that stuck out past the bottom of that "arm" of the clothes-pin.

I'm sorry, but this is really bugging me. This is not based off the SNAPbow, it is based off the SNAP. The SNAPbow was just a SNAP with a stock.

I am very aware of Carbon's work with the SNAP series, and have been calling it a SNAP when I talk about it. The reason it was specifically inspired by the SNAPbow was the use of +bow parts in its construction, most specifically the spring and, in this variation, the rubber washer. So, it wasn't inspired by the SNAPbow in that it emulated its actual design, but that it emulated its method of construction. This is, above all, a SNAP.

On a side note, for anyone looking to make a homemade, Epoxy putty=Surefire win. This was my first experience using the stuff. Just sand down the surface first, then make sure to use a generous amount of putty, and your parts will be well adhered.

Edited by analogkid, 06 December 2008 - 10:34 PM.

#9 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

Just a Question of Curiousity...
Can you use PVC cement/primer to hold the SNAP together, than using nails, bolts, and nuts?

I'm thinking about making one before Christmas... and they way I have it set up, makes it look over done... do for safety issues I want to use PVC cement (just in case the bolts get loose and all of a sudden you have a plunger in your head... xP
SoothSayer-

"Just adding some lube and twisting it back and forth for a while should make it easier"

Subscribe to my Music page and mods >> http://www.youtube.com/user/OnyxMP312

#10 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:54 PM

Just a Question of Curiousity...
Can you use PVC cement/primer to hold the SNAP together, than using nails, bolts, and nuts?

I'm thinking about making one before Christmas... and they way I have it set up, makes it look over done... do for safety issues I want to use PVC cement (just in case the bolts get loose and all of a sudden you have a plunger in your head... xP

You probably could but using screws as well will only make it better. SNAP's are about the only home made (using glue) that truly benefit from having a physical grip as well. Whether you use screws, zip ties or nails, it will simply make it stronger.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#11 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:07 AM

I wonder if anyone has made one used solely of PVC cement and primer... xD and thanks for responding... its just that... this creation is a sure fire to work... but safety goes a long way!
SoothSayer-

"Just adding some lube and twisting it back and forth for a while should make it easier"

#12 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:11 AM

Just screws will work better. They're plenty strong, and you can take it apart to maintain it, which is pretty important for a SNAP (or any homemade). The only places you'll need glue is for the grip and the trigger assembly.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#13 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:33 AM

To echo what rork said: you really don't want to glue a SNAP together, as the plunger seal will eventually wear out and have to be replaced. With glue, you're pretty much SOL, but screws will allow for easy maintenance. Screws are enough to keep yourself safe...and you're very right, there's a lot of power in these things. So long as you glue it down or screw it down, you're fine.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#14 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:16 AM

I very rarely use glue to assemble structural parts, because I constantly take apart, repair, and improve my stuff. It is always worth it to take more time and find a way to attach something with screws then to take a couple seconds to glue something and then need to break it apart later.

#15 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:21 AM

Alrighty pals! Thanks for the heads up!! OFF TO BLUEPRINTS!!!
SoothSayer-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users