Rapid Fire Shotgun Mod

Singled Rapid Fire Shotgun

31 replies to this topic

#1 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:03 AM

For my birthday I was looking around at my local cabellas for an ERTL PAS, but seeing none, and considering the fact that it was black friday, I picked up a RFS, with a devious plan in mind.

So lets skip the BS and get on to the Mod

Singled Rapid Fire Shotgun

Tools needed:

Dremmel

Hotglue Gun

Band saw/hacksaw

A pen spring and a double shot trigger spring

Supplies also needed:

FBR

Hotglue

Epoxy

Plumbers Goop

Super Glue

2 Ace #49 Springs

1/2 in. Sch 40 CPVC Coupler

1 ft. of OMC PETG

1/2 in. Sch 40 CPVC

Posted Image

Okay, Open the gun up. This may sound easier said than done, but with a dremmel, its not a problem. Just chop off the orange ring on the front off like the Titan.
Opened up, It should look like this

Posted Image

First, your not going to need the turret for this mod so look at your internals and cut off the turret where the casing meets the plunger tube. If this isn't explained too much, just wait. You'll see it later.
Ok, next take your plunger tube and epoxy the coupler on there. While that is drying, take out the plunger rod, most of the mod is going to be on this. Boil up some water, and when its nice and hot, stick the plunger head in the water. Once the plunger head is nice and soft, use a flat head screwdriver and pry it off carefully, without tearing it up. Its pretty easy, just be careful.
Once your done with that, It should look like this

Posted Image

Now take the plunger rod, and grind down the top part so that the whole plunger rod is nice and even. This makes it able to house smaller springs like a NF spring.

Posted Image

Now reinforce the plunger rod like in Angel's Doomsayer Improvements thread, with brass and superglue. Then slip your springs on, I used the stock spring with a Ace 49 spring and a half. All finished it should look basically like this

Posted Image

Stick that plunger head in the boiler again, until its stretchy. Getting the plunger head off was easy enough, but getting it back on is 10 times harder. But its possible, just keep trying until you get it, and don't tear it.
Put some Plumbers goop on the top of the plunger head to seal it like in Angel's Doomsayer thread. Then, grab a slip of FBR and cut it in half. Put a bed of hotglue on the plunger head, and then stick the FBR on the plunger head, just around the inside. This should give a cushion to the plunger tube.

Posted Image

Now on to the catch. Remove the safety, Its worthless. Take your Pen spring, and thread it through your DS trigger spring. Plumpers goop one side of it to the trigger, and then the other side to the wall of the handle.
Sorry for the bad pic. I hope it explains the catch.

Posted Image

Finally If you cut the turret off the same way I did, there is nothing keeping the plunger tube from flying out of the gun. Epoxy and Goop the plunger tube into one side the gun. Don't worry, you can still slide the plunger rod in and out. Silence the gun if you wish, I'll probably do that later, but as for now I'll keep it the way it is.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Ranges: I took six darts, a 9" barrel, and a 100 ft measuring tape, and this is what I got:

These ranges are all pretty much either flat or angled down.

A lot of this credit goes to Angel, he did most of the internal mods that I did, I just made them a little easier.

This is probably the most extensive mod I've ever done, I hope you guys like it.

Thanks to Angel for answering all of my questions about his mod.

If you guys need any pictures, I can get them up, I have a lot of them.

Questions? Comments? Flames?

Edited by Renegademilitia15, 01 June 2009 - 04:24 PM.

Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#2 boom1

boom1

• Banned
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:14 AM

You could of saved some labor and just buy the ball firing shotgun and called it good.Definetily not bashing you just a day ago I was tempted to do something like this.

Edited by boom1, 06 December 2008 - 02:15 AM.

mystefansdontflystraight stole my sig

#3 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:29 AM

Very nicely done. Let me know how sturdy the catch is- with that many springs in there that's a critical point to remember. At last your days of leaky 2k's are over!

And your table is looking very festive.

You could of saved some labor and just buy the ball firing shotgun and called it good.

For my birthday I was looking around at my local cabellas for an ERTL PAS, but seeing none

...Yeah.

Edited by BlackFox, 06 December 2008 - 03:30 AM.

"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#4 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:46 AM

Very Nice writeup, good work. I think it would have been much smarter to have gotten a PAS, but since you didn't see one what ever. Really great work though.
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#5 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:54 AM

You can say what you want. but I like the look of the rapid fire shotgun singled more then the Doom Sayer. it just looks pretty and like a tactical shotgun, something I am attempting to achieve with my next home made, pump action and all.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#6 Natbeanz

Natbeanz

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:43 AM

You can say what you want. but I like the look of the rapid fire shotgun singled more then the Doom Sayer. it just looks pretty and like a tactical shotgun, something I am attempting to achieve with my next home made, pump action and all.

I agree. Nice work Renegademilitia15.
QUOTE(Groove @ Jan 8 2009, 05:11 PM) View Post

Do me a favor, take a deep breath, and get some of that sand out of your vagina.

WARNING - I'M BRUTALLY SEXY

#7 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:52 AM

Oh, no way. I atually did something very similar to this a few weeks ago. Nice job on the write-up though :angry: .
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#8 UpperHand

UpperHand

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:16 PM

Im definetly going to do this, because I messed up my Doomsayer, but I'm a little confused on how to attach a barrel on there. Could you explain that a little more, hopefully with pictures? Thanks in advance.
My SCR-6
My Homemade Sidearm
The least you could do is tell me some advice. geese!

-- Headshot 21

#9 UpperHand

UpperHand

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:19 PM

EDIT -- Sorry, Internet is screwy with my microwave on.

Edited by UpperHand, 06 December 2008 - 12:20 PM.

My SCR-6
My Homemade Sidearm

-- Headshot 21

#10 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

Upper Hand: You mean the coupler? Thats what the white thing is on the front. Not the barrel.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback guys!
Singled RFS

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#11 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:47 PM

That looks pretty shweet. Any chance of getting a pic of how you attached the coupler to the plunger tube?
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#12 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:35 AM

Well...doing a few mods on this gun, I know what it's like (and how sometimes it can be a b****) but...
I really was thinking of doing this to my shotgun after it broke (tried to re-enforce the plunger rod w/ brass and add a spring and ... yeah, it went REALLY bad, as in the plunger head won't stay on...more on that later) so I was wondering if I should single it for a primary (as there is a war coming up soon).
I decided not to, because
1.) I thought it'd look retarded having a turret in the front with a single barrel (didn't think of cutting it off.......)
2.) "Rapid Fire Shotgun" with one barrel
3.) You can get the Ball gun for the same price and it has a better seal (I think?) and bigger plunger tube...

Well anyways, good mod and it looks really nice when it's singled/couplered...

#13 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:27 PM

Watari: When I was bouncing this idea off of my friend, he said the same thing. I didn't really have a choice when I bought this gun, since as I stated before, There weren't any PAS's in cabellas when I was shopping. Either way, I'm extremely pleased with the results.

Anyway, onto some pictures that Rork, and Upperhand requested.

Pics of the coupler:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Finished Pic
Posted Image

'Scuse the feet.
For anyone who saw the ranges that I got from my original mod, I added a wall of hotglue on the plunger rod, and nested brass inside the coupler, and I got the ranges up to mid 80s now.

Edited by Renegademilitia15, 07 December 2008 - 05:29 PM.

Singled RFS

#14 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:09 AM

A cool mod and all, but what is the real point in singling it? From what I've heard you can get 70 feet out of it with the turret (with something like PETG or brass as a barrel replacement obviously), and have those 8 shots... (It is an 8 shot, right? I've been out of the nerf scene for a while...) But, whatever floats your boat I guess. :)
Does it provide better accuracy?
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#15 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:37 AM

A cool mod and all, but what is the real point in singling it? From what I've heard you can get 70 feet out of it with the turret (with something like PETG or brass as a barrel replacement obviously), and have those 8 shots... (It is an 8 shot, right? I've been out of the nerf scene for a while...) But, whatever floats your boat I guess. -_-
Does it provide better accuracy?

Well, considering my bad luck in modding lately, I wanted a simple, effective, good looking, and most importantly, a working mod. Furthermore, I did some adjustments to the mod, and it gets mid 80s now.
I've never modded a turreted one, but it shoots laser strait imo.

Also, It has a 12 shot turret. :)

Edited by Renegademilitia15, 01 June 2009 - 04:27 PM.

Singled RFS

#16 Vistagecko

Vistagecko

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:55 PM

Good mod I guess. I just don't understand why you would strip the turret away. IMO the doomsayer is the most practical weapon you can possibly have on the field. 115' ranges, rear lodaing, 12 shots, pump action & an auto rotating mech.

And 80'? FA_24 got 115' along with 12 shots.

This just seems pointless to me.
QUOTE(The Kart Racing Nerf Man @ May 6 2009, 07:31 PM) View Post

I lubed it again and again, I don't see what an extra 2 centimeters does. I don't think I will cut it off.
BMX Forum

#17 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:12 PM

First, I don't think I could even get close to what Angel accomplished on his doomsayer because it is so freaking complex. I wanted something simple, reliable, and workable. All three have been attained by this mod.

As for the ranges, I don't know what I did wrong to not accomplish that, but that is something for evaluation.
Singled RFS

#18 UpperHand

UpperHand

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:42 PM

I have heard Forsaken Angel is a pretty big guy, so his level shot might be a bit farther than yours.
My SCR-6
My Homemade Sidearm

-- Headshot 21

#19 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:38 PM

http://nerfhaven.com...wtopic=9659&hl=

It is certainly capable of more than 70'.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#20 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:39 AM

http://nerfhaven.com...wtopic=9659&hl=

It is certainly capable of more than 70'.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who did this. Props for doing it first.
As for the ranges, yes, it does get more than 70'. I got it up to high 80s last week. And I probably still need to add a layer of etape on the plunger head.
Singled RFS

#21 slienced assassin

slienced assassin

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:10 PM

Good mod, although I have heard of much better ranges from this gun.
92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to "real music",
copy and paste this into your signature

http://supernerf.piczo.com/?cr=1

#22 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

For the time being, I have singled mine, but differently.

Posted Image
Posted Image

This way, I can put in the turret in about 5 minutes.

Yes, I realize this topic is older, but whatever.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#23 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:08 PM

Nice. That definitely gives the plunger tube more support, but I like the look of mine better.

Updated Ranges.
Singled RFS

#24 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:18 PM

I like that sputnik. Maybe you could buy the turret off of someone who singled it (there are at least 2 in this thread, and I know of at least 1 more), and make swappable integrations or something nifty, to compensate for the lowered rate of fire.
Teehee.

#25 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

I like that sputnik. Maybe you could buy the turret off of someone who singled it (there are at least 2 in this thread, and I know of at least 1 more), and make swappable integrations or something nifty, to compensate for the lowered rate of fire.

Thanks man!

Yeah, my turret is just too frustrating right now, (I need to remove some goop, and also buy a new tube with a nozzle lol.)

My barrels are too long too, and bleh.
<_<
tcambre on IRC.

<3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users