Nerfer Wiki, Powered By Project Nerf

8 replies to this topic

#1 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:37 AM

After working on it for some time, I'm proud to announce the launch of the new NerferWiki, powered by ProjectNerf.

What is the NerferWiki?

The NerferWiki is a collaborative website that uses MediaWiki (the same software run on Wikipedia) to allow anyone who signs up to edit articles and pages in the wiki. The NerferWiki will allow nerfers to create resources that can be constantly updated to reflect new developments in the nerf community. Ultimately, the goal of the NerferWiki is to replace the phrase, "Use the search function!" with "Check the NerferWiki!"

Why do we need another wiki?

Strictly speaking, the NerferWiki isn't a another wiki, it's actually an improvement on the same wiki you're all familiar with. The NerferWiki has been seeded with all of the content from the original wiki from NerfHQ. The administration team will also look familiar. The admins are CrankyMonky, who was primarily responsible for coordinating the wiki at NerfHQ, and CaptainSlug, the most prolific contributor on the old wiki.

To get right to the point, there is a very good reason for why there has been a change in hosting. November was the first time since before the summer that NerfHQ didn't exceed it's bandwidth limit. This may be because Spanky is paying for a better hosting package (unlikely), or NerfHQ just isn't getting as much traffic as it used to. Either way, up until recently, the other wiki just wasn't there 10-15 days out of a month, and when it was, there were frequent database issues that lead to the hard work of it's editors being lost. In order to attract editors who are willing to put in the time to improve it, a wiki has to be reliable. I know I wasn't interested in putting in a lot of time on a wiki hosted on NerfHQ, and that's one of the primary reasons I created the new wiki.

I can guarantee that the new NerferWiki will be online no less than 99% of the time. There may be a few hiccups in the beginning as we adjust to the amount of bandwidth required to meet the needs of the NIC, but there will never be multiple days of down time, and there will always be recent backups to restore to if there are any problems with the site. I will always be ready to fix any problems that may come up, unlike some other webmasters who are more difficult to get a hold of when problems arise.

How will this wiki be any better?

As a part of ProjectNerf, the NerferWiki will be dedicated to giving nerfers the information they need to get out from behind those computer screens and nerf, to get their friends nerfing, or to host a better nerf war. This wiki won't be an encyclopedia of nerf with bland articles about the history of the NIC or who won the second round of gunslinger heaven at last year's apoc. You'll be less likely to find an article about who Stefan Mohr is than to find an article on how to make a better Stefan. There will also be ongoing projects that will be organized on the NerferWiki. For example, Ubermensch's effort to get an article about nerf published by Make Magazine will now be hosted on the wiki, where anyone can collaborate on the article. It's these special projects and the dedication of the administration team that make the NerferWiki more than just a nerf encyclopedia.

What about the old wiki?

At this time the NerferWiki is operating with a Creative Commons Attribution Noncomercial Share-Alike License. This means that anyone can reproduce content from the NerferWiki as long as they give credit to all of the contributors, don't use the content for commercial purposes, and share the content under the same license or a similar one. Basically, this means that the NerfHQ wiki can import content from the new NerferWiki as long as it updates it's license. Obviously we would prefer that you use our wiki when you want to contribute or look for information, but the choice is up to you.

However, the import of content from NerfHQ to the new Wiki was a one time thing. If you do continue to contribute to the wiki at NerfHQ, your contributions will not be reflected at the new wiki unless you contribute them to the new Wiki as well.

Plans for the new wiki

Over the next several weeks the NerferWiki admin team will select a few articles each week that need improvement and start a thread on NerfHaven to discuss improvements and coordinate editors. The goal is to have the NerferWiki ready to be used by new nerfers as a complete reference before spring.

What can I do with the wiki? How can I help?

You can check out the Editor Guide for more information about how to edit the NerferWiki (a recommended read if you've never edited a wiki before), and then take a look at the Community Portal to find out what needs to be done. You can also use the Community portal to request new articles, or start new Wiki Projects. If you're interested in starting a new project, but aren't sure where to begin, I would be glad to help.

Edited by Langley, 06 December 2008 - 01:48 AM.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#2 Radio

Radio

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:50 AM

I'd love to get something in there on the "Quich" Not much out on it yet.
http://www.toysrus.c...5453&cp=3130027
Thanks for that incredible resource,
-Radio

Edited by Radio, 06 December 2008 - 01:51 AM.

November 28, 2008 1:02 Mod/Paintjob thread:
Timmytown: Thank you for taking care of that idiot VACC, fine fine work. (no pic)
VACC: Are you fucking retarded? Goodbye.

How's that for funny Timmytown?
It's like VACC was up early wishing me a happy birthday!

#3 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:53 AM

There's a Requested Pages page for situations where you don't have enough info to make the page yourself but would like to see it written by someone who does.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:44 AM

I would also like to note that the bulk of the content of the Wiki just celebrated its 1-year Anniversary.

Please buy me a cake in celebration. ;)

Edited by CaptainSlug, 06 December 2008 - 05:44 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:01 AM

With the hlidays fast approaching and my amount of free time slowly returning to me, I will finally get to my task of proofreading the blaster information for each blaster and editing the incorrect ones, of which I know there are a few.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#6 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:43 AM

I'd like to bring attention to my Project: Make Magazine Article. A few months ago, I approached Langley about this. Please look at the page. I will post a more detailed description when I get back home on Monday and don't have to post from my iPod. I'll edit this post with a full description and such.

Edited by Ubermensch, 06 December 2008 - 08:10 AM.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#7 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:12 AM

I would also like to note that the bulk of the content of the Wiki just celebrated its 1-year Anniversary.

Please buy me a cake in celebration. ;)

Only if I can hide in the cake...

So it would be appropriate to make a page about talking to authorities? I seem to remember Falcon having alot to say on the subject that helps alot.

Or like, scenarios at wars (both game types, and say, someone gets injured)?
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#8 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:57 AM

So it would be appropriate to make a page about talking to authorities? I seem to remember Falcon having alot to say on the subject that helps alot.

Adding articles on gametypes is one of the items on the to-do list. There are a few already, but they aren't liked to from the main page. The Nerf Wars index page from the 'HQ wiki is still there and I haven't gotten around to quarantining all the useless stuff and linking the useful stuff from the relevant areas of the wiki. Right now we could use a really good article on Gunslinger Heaven. Also, something I can't stress enough- Don't put something on there if you haven't tried it yet. Don't put a set of rules up unless you've tried them out at a nerf war and had so much success with them that everyone wanted to use them again at the next war. Gunslinger Heaven is a good example of this. We generally have at least one round of Gunslinger Heaven at every major east coast war. The other rules that the horsemen came up with that didn't stick would not be a good example of this, because none of them were popular enough to be used again.

The article on how to deal with the authorities would be a good start for the 'How to host a war series'. If you're not interested in writing it yourself I'll add it to my list of articles to get started on for that series.

2016 Nerf War Schedule

#9 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:47 AM

Adding articles on gametypes is one of the items on the to-do list. There are a few already, but they aren't liked to from the main page. The Nerf Wars index page from the 'HQ wiki is still there and I haven't gotten around to quarantining all the useless stuff and linking the useful stuff from the relevant areas of the wiki. Right now we could use a really good article on Gunslinger Heaven. Also, something I can't stress enough- Don't put something on there if you haven't tried it yet. Don't put a set of rules up unless you've tried them out at a nerf war and had so much success with them that everyone wanted to use them again at the next war. Gunslinger Heaven is a good example of this. We generally have at least one round of Gunslinger Heaven at every major east coast war. The other rules that the horsemen came up with that didn't stick would not be a good example of this, because none of them were popular enough to be used again.

The article on how to deal with the authorities would be a good start for the 'How to host a war series'. If you're not interested in writing it yourself I'll add it to my list of articles to get started on for that series.

I would be willing to do some of this writing. I should go to Venom and ask permission to put Zombie VIP on the Wiki. Its a twist on the standard VIP, in which you only have pistols and the zombies have nothing.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users