What Does Everybody Use To Cut Brass?

20 replies to this topic

#1 nerfer9

nerfer9

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:03 PM

Hi,

I am trying to make a breech for my pump shotty. My dremel cut off wheels wont cut through my brass. I was wondering if there was an easy way out of this problem. So, what do you guys use for your brass?

#2 orogomi ninja

orogomi ninja

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:04 PM

Dremel..."Edit"Well other than that a hack saw (sorry didn't read full post) or just borrow someone's better dremel.

Edited by orogomi ninja, 02 December 2008 - 11:14 PM.

QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 23 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Thats the way I do it. Use a rag with some light fast rubbing.

Sometimes I hate my uncontrollable imagination....

#3 Radio

Radio

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:08 PM

For a clean cut use a Tube Cutter.
Posted Image

Edited by Radio, 02 December 2008 - 11:08 PM.

November 28, 2008 1:02 Mod/Paintjob thread:
Timmytown: Thank you for taking care of that idiot VACC, fine fine work. (no pic)
VACC: Are you fucking retarded? Goodbye.

How's that for funny Timmytown?
It's like VACC was up early wishing me a happy birthday!

#4 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:14 PM

Pipe cutters, like radio said. Just go real slow so you don't crimp the brass, which is inevitable, but going slow will lessen the effect. Then if you are going to have a dart moving through that end of the brass, flare it a bit with some needle nose pliers.

#5 nerfer9

nerfer9

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:19 PM

I am going to be cutting a breech slot. Y'know, the little slot you put darts in?

#6 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:25 PM

Ah, I see. Are you using reinforced fiber glass cutting wheels or the normal skinny ones? I find that the skinnier ones work better with brass. Also, you're probably just not cutting it right, because absolutely no one has a worse dremel then I do, I mean no one, and I can cut brass fine. You ever heard of chicago power tools? I hadn't either until I bought a dremel of theirs at fred meyer. One of the worst uses of 30 bucks ever.

Edited by TantumBull, 02 December 2008 - 11:26 PM.

#7 nerfer9

nerfer9

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:29 PM

I have an almost BRAND NEW dremel xps series. 120 bits baby!. I am using the reinforced ones, I almost lost an eye one time because one of the non-reinforced ones blew up and decided to shoot towards my beautiful, gorgeous face.

#8 silentsnipe

silentsnipe

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:34 PM

I have an almost BRAND NEW dremel xps series. 120 bits baby!. I am using the reinforced ones, I almost lost an eye one time because one of the non-reinforced ones blew up and decided to shoot towards my beautiful, gorgeous face.

Heh. right. Beautiful. Uh-huh. Yeah. NOT! I bet no guy would jack- nevermind.
And it's absolutely rated R for the violence. Also boobies. And pee pees.

Talio.

Join TheNerfFreaks.forumotion.com TODAY!

#9 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:35 PM

you dont wear safety goggles? you almost deserve it then.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#10 nerfer9

nerfer9

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:43 PM

No, I am very lazy when it comes to that.... On a kinda related notice, would a 12'' brass barrel work well with a pump shotty? Or should it be shorter?

#11 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:18 AM

Depends on air output. If it puts out as much air or more air than an At2K or LS, it will work. If it is as much as a NiteFinder, 4" max.
American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

#12 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:59 AM

No, I am very lazy when it comes to that....

WEAR EYE PROTECTION. There's no if or maybe to it, especially when using a dremel which throws shrapnel in every direction.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 03 December 2008 - 01:59 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#13 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:08 AM

If you were my kid, I'd kick your ass just for being a dumbass. Then, after you were done with your grounding, and still didn't wear eye protection, I'd ground your a butt again. And sell all of your blasters, and take back all of my tools. Yeah, I know, you are probably saying "Hahaha, Jim's a nut job dad who probably beats his kids!" But I'm really just concerned about eye safety. I have had an accident with each eye, one because of someone else, and one because of myself. Neither were bad enough to make me blind, or require surgery or anything, but they have both changed my vision. Both of my eyes are more irritable, more easily. I have halos and stars from bright lights, and most objects have a fuzzy ring around them at any distance. It sucks. I had better than 20/20 vision in each of those eyes before the injuries, but now....

Just use some fucking safety glasses, huh?

Edited by Draconis, 03 December 2008 - 03:08 AM.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#14 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

No, I am very lazy when it comes to that.... On a kinda related notice, would a 12'' brass barrel work well with a pump shotty? Or should it be shorter?

What did you put into your Pump Shotty?

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#15 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:23 PM

you can use nearly anything to cut brass... a grinding wheel will cut it, a circular saw will cut it but they will leave a mess.. If you have a mitre box you can use a hacksaw and it will come out pretty nice... but everythgin has to be done slowly and carefully.

I use whatever cutting tool that is closest to me and I finish the cut off with a bandsaw with a square jig.

try wrapping the area to be cut tightly with masking tape to make a prettier cut.

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#16 nerfer9

nerfer9

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:59 PM

and take back all of my tools. Yeah, I know, you are probably saying "Hahaha, Jim's a nut job dad who probably beats his kids!" But I'm really just concerned about eye safety. I have had an accident with each eye, one because of someone else, and one because of myself. Neither were bad enough to make me blind, or require surgery or anything, but they have both changed my vision. Both of my eyes are more irritable, more easily. I have halos and stars from bright lights, and most objects have a fuzzy ring around them at any distance. It sucks. I had better than 20/20 vision in each of those eyes before the injuries, but now....

Just use some fucking safety glasses, huh?

All my dads tools? He wouldn't let me lay a hand on those things. There his babies. I have to buy all my tools. I have had an eye injury too, 10 ft long bungee cord hit me in the right eye. I was bleeding inside, and I couldn't see out of it because of the blood. I never had to have surgery luckily.

#17 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:55 PM

I agree with the eye protection thing. Actually, when using a dremel, I won't settle for anything less than a full-face guard. I use one of these babies.
Posted Image

Cost me about $150 on amazon, but it was defiantly worth every penny. I decided to get one after having a shard poke through my cheek, so much that I could lick the edge of the shard.

Modding is fun, but I would suggest not using a thin dremel tool unless you have the right safety equipment.

EDIT: I would suggest to hacksaw it if all else fails.

Oh, and for a shotty, no more than 16 inches.

Edited by Foamfoot, 03 December 2008 - 07:13 PM.

Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 14 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

Damn it Foamfoot. Why is it that you kill every good topic with a retarded response a few days late.

#18 UpperHand

UpperHand

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:04 PM

Can I ask, Foamfoot, what the name of that is and if they go for any cheaper? Right now I just use safety goggles. Thanks

EDIT-- Never mind, found one.

Edited by UpperHand, 03 December 2008 - 10:08 PM.

My SCR-6
My Homemade Sidearm
The least you could do is tell me some advice. geese!

-- Headshot 21

#19 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:13 PM

Depends on air output. If it puts out as much air or more air than an At2K or LS, it will work. If it is as much as a NiteFinder, 4" max.

Do you even know what a fucking pumpshotty is? It puts out more air than an Ls and a 2k (but it's a springer, so it's not really comparable with an airgun). And why would you tell us about a nite finder, the PAS plunger isn't even near that size.

To be of some use to answering the question that he failed at:

It really depends on dart fit. Looser darts= longer, tighter barrels Tight, short (or medium in this case)\

A PAS shouldn't really have any trouble spitting any fit dart out of a full foot. I've got one, and I use a 12' barrel, and I've had no trouble with loose or tight darts.

Hope that helped.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#20 Hoceky

Hoceky

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:15 AM

How the hell did this thread get from talking about what to use to cut brass to aruguing about PAS barrels lengths?

Edited by Hoceky, 04 December 2008 - 12:37 AM.

meh.

#21 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:34 AM

How the hell did this thread get from talking about what to use to cut brass to aruguing about PAS barrels lengths? Stay on topic please.

The Creator of this thread ASKED THE QUESTION. Others are answering it for him. Nobody hijacked the thread. Read through the entire thread before posting please.

See.

Edited by Blasphemy, 04 December 2008 - 12:37 AM.

When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users