what you should know about ebay

8 replies to this topic

#1 autonerf

autonerf

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • State:Missouri

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:46 AM

Guys, watch out if you sell guns on ebay or the same can happen to you!

The dumb thing is, I sold 3 rifles before this happened, and they looked even MORE realistic than this. I got an automated message from ebay saying I violated their weapons policy. Someone must have reported me this time.

There are lots of painted Nerf guns listed online right now, but ebay is going after me when I have sold these before? Someone should smack the stupid out of them. Anyone who can read can see it is a toy. I even had this video of it shooting darts in the listing.

Rapid Fire Rifle mod

So if you're going to spend hours making a listing like I have, make sure you follow their rules or you will get a message that says something like this:

The auction-style listing was removed because it violated the eBay Firearms, Weapons, and Knives policy. We notified members who placed bids on the item that the listing has been canceled.

The sale of weapons is highly regulated by the government, and these items can harm the eBay Community. For these reasons, eBay restricts the sale of weapons to a very few types, and these sales can take place only under very specific conditions. For example, members are permitted to sell airsoft guns, cap guns, paintball guns, toy guns, and replica, look-alike, or imitation firearms but only if the sellers meet all of the following conditions:

- The item has a clear, permanent marking (usually a plug inserted in the barrel or a blaze orange marking) that meets federal regulations
- The item can't be converted to shoot a projectile
- Any picture of the item in the listing is the actual item for sale, not a stock photo
- No picture of the item is a close up of only part of the item. For example, a photo that displays only the tip of the gun is not permitted.
- The item, seller, and buyer are located in the United States
- The item is shipped within the United States

I had close ups of the gun.

Posted Image

Other guys didn't do it, so I never thought it was important to have the orange tip. Wrong.

Posted Image

I hope this was helpful to someone out there. Learn from my mistakes.

#2 BarryAllen

BarryAllen

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:52 AM

Sorry to hear that, but it is a very clean, convincing mod!

It's a double-edged sword, really. Your rfr is one of the best I've seen, and eBay thinks it look a little too real. I didn't get a chance to see the auction, I'm sure you can just relist it later, but if you include a short disclaimer in the copy, I'm sure they'd be less concerned.

Their photo policy seems a little strict, though. One complete gun photo + closeup detail shots should be fine, right?

#3 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:41 AM

They took down my Lancer auction in the beginning.
I just had to re-list it. With "This is not a real fire arm. It is a toy made of plastic!" X3 in a bigger font, bold lettering and highlighted in red as the first few lines to be read in my auction.

It wasn't taken down after that.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But Iím just not the angel you knew.

#4 Radio

Radio

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:00 AM

I use this on the barrel when I take the picture, also the buyer can take it off at his/her leisure.
Posted Image
November 28, 2008 1:02 Mod/Paintjob thread:
Timmytown: Thank you for taking care of that idiot VACC, fine fine work. (no pic)
VACC: Are you fucking retarded? Goodbye.

How's that for funny Timmytown?
It's like VACC was up early wishing me a happy birthday!

#5 autonerf

autonerf

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • State:Missouri

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:02 AM

Thanks Barry and Forsaken, I made a 2nd attempt to list it.

Rapid Fire Rifle relisting

With my luck they might still cancel it, but hopefully not because it's my last rifle I have made for the year.
That's a good idea Radio. I should have thought of that.

Edited by autonerf, 02 December 2008 - 12:12 PM.

#6 Accord

Accord

• Banned
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:13 AM

Radio that's pretty smart. What are the new federal regulations guys? IIRC, it's an orange tipped barrel.

Looks like the old crossbow doesn't meet new regulations

#7 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:49 AM

Radio that's pretty smart. What are the new federal regulations guys? IIRC, it's an orange tipped barrel.

Looks like the old crossbow doesn't meet new regulations

yeah fed reg. Must have specifically orange. the tape I think meets the requirement. however once the tape is removed it is an illegal "firearm".

BTW that is one awesome looking rfr.

Edited by Blacksunshine, 02 December 2008 - 07:50 AM.

Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#8 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:50 PM

This is pretty helpful for someone who doesn't want to sift through the fine print. Thanks. There are a hell of a lot of auctions that violate those rules though. Stock photos and non-colored tips out the ass, Canucks selling to us down here, them offering shipping to Canucks (is this a derogatory word or not? I'm not really sure :D), oh, and all of our stuff shoots projectiles.

As for the tape, I had no clue you sold on ebay, but the rules do say it has to be permanent.
Teehee.

#9 Radio

Radio

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:10 PM

This is pretty helpful for someone who doesn't want to sift through the fine print. Thanks. There are a hell of a lot of auctions that violate those rules though. Stock photos and non-colored tips out the ass, Canucks selling to us down here, them offering shipping to Canucks (is this a derogatory word or not? I'm not really sure :rolleyes:), oh, and all of our stuff shoots projectiles.

As for the tape, I had no clue you sold on ebay, but the rules do say it has to be permanent.

I'm sure they do but I think Ebay is just worried about covering its ass,
so if you can get away without a orange tip by with putting:
THIS IS A PLASTIC FOAM SHOOTING TOY
then you could probably get away with a temporary orange tip.
November 28, 2008 1:02 Mod/Paintjob thread:
Timmytown: Thank you for taking care of that idiot VACC, fine fine work. (no pic)
VACC: Are you fucking retarded? Goodbye.

How's that for funny Timmytown?
It's like VACC was up early wishing me a happy birthday!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users