Photo

Homemade Air Tank Covers?

just what do you "cover" the air tank with?

6 replies to this topic

#1 DarkKnight

DarkKnight

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:35 PM

I have a few homemades (if I actually warred, then perhaps I'd find out how effective they were), but was curious about over-safety about the air tank. I know someone posted awhile back about wrapping the air tank in denim - I didn't have denim available, but instead wrapped the air tank in nylon cord.

So my question is, would nylon cord wrapped (painstakingly) around the entire air tank reduce/limit catastrophic failure of the air tank? Keep in mind I'm not talking about putting 100PSI in to the air tank, I'm talking about "reasonable" 30 to 40 PSI.

Thanks for any advice in advance...

Edited by DarkKnight, 01 December 2008 - 10:35 PM.

Losers always whine about their best... Winners go home and fcsk the prom queen.

#2 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:24 PM

I assume you're using a sched. 40 pvc tank that is held together with pvc cement. If this is the case (as it should be), you don't need a tank cover--just don't be stupid enough to take it up to high pressure. As long as you're smart, and the tank is in good condition, you're in no real danger.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#3 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Oregon
  • u/Parabolictoys on Reddit

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:28 PM

I have a few homemades (if I actually warred, then perhaps I'd find out how effective they were), but was curious about over-safety about the air tank. I know someone posted awhile back about wrapping the air tank in denim - I didn't have denim available, but instead wrapped the air tank in nylon cord.

So my question is, would nylon cord wrapped (painstakingly) around the entire air tank reduce/limit catastrophic failure of the air tank? Keep in mind I'm not talking about putting 100PSI in to the air tank, I'm talking about "reasonable" 30 to 40 PSI.

Thanks for any advice in advance...

Honestly, cord isn't going to help much, because it will unwind as the pieces fly apart. Use the leg from a worn out pair of jeans. Or go to a thrift store and buy the cheapest pair of jeans you can find. Here's a hint: Stay in the larger sizes. You will get more for your money.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#4 DarkKnight

DarkKnight

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:58 PM

@rork - yes, Sch40PVC with PVC Cement, but no PVC primer used.

@draconis - call me silly, but I have a problem with a pants leg being used on the "nerf" gun. I guess my sewing skills would show and it would look like I stuck something down my pants (pun intended)

Sorry, guys - I just have a real safety concern about sticking a (for lack of a better term) a potential grenade next to my body. I don't need to become part porg (Plastic ORGanism) yet... Although, I may have to start thinking about a tire pressure reader-mod if this keeps bugging me...

Thanks much!

Losers always whine about their best... Winners go home and fcsk the prom queen.

#5 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:27 AM

If you're worried about your present tank, just rebuild. PVC is cheap, and safe if you respect its limitations.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#6 nerfer9

nerfer9

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • State:California

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:08 AM

How about putting the air tank in a another, much bigger, piece of pvc, with a end cap. Drill holes in it so air can escape when it blows up.

Edited by nerfer9, 02 December 2008 - 01:09 AM.

#7 UpperHand

UpperHand

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:44 PM

It might not be pretty, but I heard of someone who wrapped his potato cannon it duct tape and when it exploded the duct tape probably saved his life... but thats only a last minute fix at a war or something.
My SCR-6
My Homemade Sidearm
The least you could do is tell me some advice. geese!

-- Headshot 21

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users