Spring Pistol Mod?

n00b has idea

9 replies to this topic

#1 alhava

alhava

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 03:12 PM

hey,! I have a $5 Air Tek six gun. It's a single action six shooter revolver that I bought for $5 at toy R us. It works great. you pull back a slide, adn it compresses a spring and pulls air into the cyllinder. When the trigger is pulled, the spring releases, adn the air is forced out.
I was wondering what mods I could do for this gun. I have another broken one, and I was considering putting a second spring in there to double the force, but I'm not sure the catch will work under that pressure.

Has anyone tried this?
What else can I do to get better range out of my pistol.

#2 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 03:26 PM

Do you have a picture of the gun?
Nerfer16 of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team
Nerf on!

#3 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 04:34 PM

Your best bets for upgrading that gun are replacing the spring and replacing the barrels. The catch may very well blow out under the additional pressure so you're right to be concerned about that. Check the mods section of this site for barrel replacement ideas. Keep in mind the relatively low air volume of the plunger tube on that gun though and keep the barrels relatively short and tight.

Good luck with your mods and welcome to NH!
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#4 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 04:51 PM

Cx, what gun is he talking about? The six barrels make it sound like a 3K, but everything else makes it sound like a 1K. I'm confused! :)
Nerfer16 of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team
Nerf on!

#5 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 05:02 PM

It's this spring pistol with six barrels on it, pretty common around retail stores, I'm sure you could find them still.
Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#6 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 05:11 PM

It's very similar internally to the SM250/350 and the AT1k.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#7 alhava

alhava

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 02:07 AM

where can I go to get a similar sized, yet stronger spring?
any links to throw about?

and thanks you guys! I really appreciate the quick responses!

#8 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 05:36 AM

Here's a pic I took of the internals before anything is done.

Posted Image

As far as replacement springs, Ace Hardware and Home Depot both sell some springs, but Home Depot isn't a great place to go for that, I'd try Ace first. Bring your original spring and plunger tube when you go so you can make sure you pick up the right test spring. Remember that although a spring with more tension and thicker coils is helpful, it still must compress small enough to be able to cock it.

As far as I'm concerned, the only possible solution is to single-barrel this gun or any other gun of this variety. You can also cut the size of it down and possibly try to add rubber bands behind the cocking handle so the pressure is greater. Good luck, tell us how yours works out.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#9 alhava

alhava

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 07:46 PM

alright. awesome.

I have taken apart the rotating barrel assembly, and I added a spring that I got out of a broken AT1000. It more than doubled the spring length, and compressed the AirTek piston arm wouldn;t reach the trigger catch. So I swapped it with the AT1000 piston, which is equipped with multiple trigger catches (keen!). and it seems to work. I needed to hold the spring piston assembly together with four rubber bands or the whole thing would burst apart (and did many times) while trying to put it back together. Oh, and I lost the stock trigger spring. But I think it would have been too weak to hold the trigger in place anyway, so I made a new one out of a safety pin. I don;t know how well that will hold up over time, but at least it's something.
The gun doesn;t work at all right now, but I think that's because the rotating barrels are connected via a rubber seal that I smashed up and couldn't re-lube (college dorm, and no one has any vaseline, go fig.) So I think the hole is small, and the seal is fuxored, and so I'll just pull it out when I get my self a length of piping from home-depot just large enough to house a dart.

how does that sound to y'all?

From what I understand, all I need is copper piping cut to an appropriate length, then glue it to the end of my air cyllinder. Just glueing and taping seems to be good enough to get this thing shooting 70'. At least that's what it seems by looking at the Mods.

#10 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 10:13 PM

Sounds good so far.

Keep in mind that your barrel replacement needs to fit relatively tightly on your darts or you could go with a telescoped brass barrel that's tight at the base but slides more easily as the dart progresses.

A relatively low volume spring gun (like that one) with a non-snug-fitting barrel is a recipe for disaster. Basically you'd get 5-10' range. Take a look at my Lock n Load or First Shot writeups in the mod section if this is unclear. They're both relatively similar to what you're working with.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users