(plunger)homemade Question

Mod fan thinking of doing a homemade

8 replies to this topic

#1 orogomi ninja

orogomi ninja

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:04 PM

I Love the sick homemade guns I have seen! So I am deciding to make my own.

I don't want to have to jack with a stupid Pneumatic system ( I had a hell of a time with my magstrike I definitely DO NOT want to do that again!)
I want to start with the plunger, wouldn't it be better to have a wider instead of a narrow plunger & tube?
Less distance+more velocity. (know what I mean?) With a long, small diameter plunger, wouldn't the stefan already be half way down the barrel after the plunger has moved an inch? what do you guys think? I don't want do do a silly poll because I would rather have words, not statistics.

Any insight would be great.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 23 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Thats the way I do it. Use a rag with some light fast rubbing.

Sometimes I hate my uncontrollable imagination....

#2 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:35 PM

From all I've seen, narrow beats wide, overall. Consider: the SNAPbow gets ranges equal to/better than the Big SNAP,even though the former uses a 1 1/4" pressure chamber, and the latter uses a 2" pressure chamber. The difference? Even though a Big SNAP pushes far more air, the SNAPbow pushes a good amount much faster. Less friction, strong spring. The ERTL PAS uses a plunger stroke that is much shorter than the SNAPbow's, with a similar ID; however, it gets similar or better ranges, depending on the spring setup; plus, its plunger is very light, with a good seal. The lesson? Friction, Seal efficiency, plunger weight, stroke speed, and air volume are all important, and there are many, many ways to mix and match, depending on the design you're working with.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#3 orogomi ninja

orogomi ninja

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:43 PM

Heh, good point

Thanks for the help!
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 23 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Thats the way I do it. Use a rag with some light fast rubbing.

Sometimes I hate my uncontrollable imagination....

#4 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:06 AM

Yeah, world of home mades, bigger is not always better. Its all about delivery, and the faster you can get all the air on the dart, the harder and farther it will shoot, regardless of how much air you have. Like, take the Crossfire for example. It gets better ranges then my First Shot, simply because it releases air faster. The First Shot has a bigger plunger tube, but its just slower.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#5 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:10 AM

Well said.
American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

#6 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:04 PM

I believe that the speed of the plunger travel greatly affects the range. My advice to you is to try many different things. Before I reached the design of the L+L, I had experimented with trigger designs and plunger tube lengths and diameters. To draw conclusions on making your own, I would start out by making a SNAP or SNAPbow because they are fundamental springers. Then build off of designs and modify what you like and don't like.

Good luck, and be sure to tell us how it goes!
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#7 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:25 PM

^Indeed. A SNAP of some sort would be a great first build; it has a grand total of 2 moving parts, and you can actually use it in a war, unlike the pvc cannons that many people choose for their first homemade. Plus, it will teach you all kinds of things about fabrication that will help you with everything else you make, whether it be mods or more homemades. SNAPs are bloody addictive, as well.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#8 Rogue Warrior

Rogue Warrior

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:14 PM

As rork pointed out, a SNAP is the Kalashnikov of the nerf world. Cheap, easy, low maintenance. Most of the parts can be foun in your home or purchased cheaply at True-Value.
My GT is Spacecowboy9951

#9 zadjii

zadjii

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:24 PM

If you want to design your own homemade, i recommend building something similar to a SNAP. As you might be able to already see, there are alot of SNAP variants out there already, so coming up with something new may be either very easy for you, or incredibly hard.

Once you get your fill of SNAP's and various variants, I recommend the FAR or SCAR-N, just because of how fun they are. I am building a homemade that is build from alot of the same ideas and parts as a FAR, but with enough minor modifications to have it been considered its own gun.

If you really want to built your own homemade, just research whats out there. And, patientce. Its a virtue.

But now I'm just rambling. Yeah, what rork said about plungers.
-Cpvc that's been under your home for 10 years can shatter. New Cpvc doesn't, unless you enjoy violently beating your gun on a tree.
-If you could figure out how to strap a Vulcan as a hand replacement, that would be sweet. I would just stop there, and run around calling myself Mega Man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users