Rapid Fire Rifle

Possible interesting modification

16 replies to this topic

#1 loni

loni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:04 PM

Before I post, there should be some disclaimers. 1) I have no modding skills. 2) I'll probably confuse about 90% of those that read this, being that I'm not quite sure of the proper terms. 3) I know people get flamed for posting speculations in the modifications forum and not just go out and do the mod myself, but please refer to disclaimer one.

With that out of the way, I can now go onto an idea that I have stumbled across. Last night I was looking at some old topics about the Rapid Fire Rifle. I stumbled upon a discussion based on trying to turn the rfr, into a shotgun type weapon, however this is only important in terms of setting the stage. Randomly I thought of my friends .22 Caliber rifle. Now, with my firends rifle, you load the bullets down another barrel that runs adjacent to the main barrel, but underneath it. Much like the seemingly unnecessary barrel that runs underneath the main barrel of the rfr. Back to the .22 Caliber rifle, when you put the bullets in this extra barrel, they are somehow pushed into the cocking mechanism. I was wondering of this same idea could be applied to the rfr?

I wrote this as to attempt to be creative, and to see if anyone wanted to give it a go. Please dont post how stupid this is or how pointless the rfr is, its not productive to do that. Sorry if its already been done/thought of.

-Loni

Edited by loni, 25 November 2008 - 10:07 PM.

"I don't nerf to see who is the best, I nerf to see who is the biggest bitch"

#2 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:14 PM

Get better at modding, then try it yourself. This topic is pointless. Nobody wants to ruin a RFR with your idea, but if you want to, then go ahead.

Edited by TantumBull, 25 November 2008 - 10:14 PM.

#3 loni

loni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:20 PM

Get better at modding, then try it yourself. This topic is pointless. Nobody wants to ruin a RFR with your idea, but if you want to, then go ahead.

Okay, thanks for doing what I said not too, you were very helpful with your information. Thanks for missing the whole point of the topic.

#4 Oni Kadaki

Oni Kadaki

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:22 PM

I'm no modding expert either, but i'd imagine this would take a lot of work with minimal, if any, payoff. I say this because the mechanism of the RFR does two things when cocked, if i'm not mistaken: 1) clears the shell from the chamber, allowing a fresh shell to be pushed up by a spring in the clip and 2) cocks the gun. There is no mechanism in the gun to actively pull a shell from that cosmetic second barrel. Further, i'm guessing that even if said second barrel is wide enough to hold the shells, it would provide no greater capacity than the magazine unless it was expanded, which would make the gun rather unwieldly. So, in conclusion, cool idea, but i don't think it can be done, CS or FA please prove me wrong.

#5 rippen11

rippen11

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:24 PM

Haha, I was shooting one of those exact guns on sunday.
But to the point, I don't think that the lower barrel is large enough to hold the shells.
I think that it is a great idea, but it is flawed in many ways.

Who says i buy balls from a store?

Nightfinder

Why is your cat in your arsenal? Perhaps it shoots LASERS?!?!

Captain Slug

#6 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:30 PM

What you are trying to describe is called a tube magazine.

It is used on most shotguns and some rifles. I highly doubt you are going to get it to work, and if you do the only part of the RFR that will be left will be the shell. The plunger assembly directly blocks it as it sits right under the crappy outer barrel and in front of the mag receiver.

Edited by deaddumpster, 25 November 2008 - 10:31 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 15 2009, 01:55 PM) View Post

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A good nerf gun is like a good woman. It shouldn't require extra lubrication.

#7 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:34 PM

To do this, you'd need to replace the lower barrel with something bigger, create a pumping fore grip, somehow get the shells to be pushed up and into the clip part and still allow the chamber to clear. Possible? Yes. Practical? absolutely not. You'd spend 5 times the cost of the gun in parts and in the end you're going to have a large, heavy, shotgun with the range of a Maverick. I'd say, create a shotgun fore grip for it and leave the clip in.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#8 BarryAllen

BarryAllen

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:15 PM

A tube magazine is not a bad idea in of itself, but one would have to consider why they'd do such a mod. The rfr already is clip-fed, the only possible advantage I see with a mod like this would be minimizing the gun.

Honestly, this seems like a lot of work for very little payoff. There is no tube magazine nerf gun on the market now and there never has been - I think, could be wrong - so you'd be exploring some virgin territory here. I think the idea has possibilities, especially for homemades. Creating a mechanism that will do this from scratch is probably easier than modding a made gun shell to do this.

#9 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:27 PM

Go here to see some explanation on how a Remington 870 pump-action shotgun works. There are many ideas throughout that thread, but for a prototype feeding ramp thingamajig see here.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#10 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:44 PM

I seem to remember tube magazines having being mentioned before and deemed as impractical. Maybe if you had used the very handy search engine first you would have found this.

Youtube

LS and Retaliator boltsleds are currently available at https://www.facebook.com/RoboM8/

#11 najmodder0424

najmodder0424

• Banned
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:20 AM

Instead of doing an almost pointless cosmetic head why don't you cut off the plunger head and stick on a better pring then get the plunger head back on? I'm working on this write now but I've hit a road block because I don't have a metal cutting dremmel bit. Just a thought that's in the process of becoming reality.
You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.

-Eric Hoffer (1902-1983)

Rabbit + Hunting Bullet from a hunting rifle = exploded rabbit

#12 loni

loni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:16 PM

I seem to remember tube magazines having being mentioned before and deemed as impractical. Maybe if you had used the very handy search engine first you would have found this.

I did use the very handy search feature, thats how I thought of this, now obviously futile, mod. I didn't know what the proper terms were for the tube magazine. Thats why I was unable to search for it. THanks everyone for their input.

-Loni

Edited by loni, 26 November 2008 - 03:16 PM.

#13 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:57 PM

Instead of doing an almost pointless cosmetic head why don't you cut off the plunger head and stick on a better pring then get the plunger head back on? I'm working on this write now but I've hit a road block because I don't have a metal cutting dremmel bit. Just a thought that's in the process of becoming reality.

You don't even have to cut it... I popped a ff spring in it easily.

#14 The Inventor Guy

The Inventor Guy

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:00 PM

Posted this before, but...
Posted Image

Range before this incredible modification was about 40 feet. I just didn't like it. And it was black; black paint on a gun gets you shot round these parts.

-Tidge.

Edited by The Inventor Guy, 26 November 2008 - 07:01 PM.

Also active on NerfHQ as Tidge.

#15 loni

loni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:35 PM

Posted this before, but...
Posted Image

Range before this incredible modification was about 40 feet. I just didn't like it. And it was black; black paint on a gun gets you shot round these parts.

-Tidge.

Did you already do the mod im talking about?

-Loni

#16 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:06 PM

Here's my rule of thumb, when it comes to design work: nerf darts hate magazines. Tube, gravity, whatever. Breeches, couplers, and turrets are where it's at, generally speaking.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#17 najmodder0424

najmodder0424

• Banned
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:35 PM

You don't even have to cut it... I popped a ff spring in it easily.

Hmmm...when I unscrewed the plnger head onthing happened. Where did you stick the ff spring on?
You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.

-Eric Hoffer (1902-1983)

Rabbit + Hunting Bullet from a hunting rifle = exploded rabbit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users