Photo

Lnl Conversion

13 replies to this topic

#1 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:59 PM

I saw this in a sales thread a few months ago, so I'm definitely not the first person to do this, but I don't know who to give credit to.

I am a huge fan of the Lock 'n Load and as most of you know, once the slide is removed you're left with a nasty hook on the end of the plunger rod which you would traditionally put a key ring or zip tie on. This is what I did:
Posted Image

Start out by taking the plunger rods of both a NF and Lnl. Unscrew the plunger head of the NF and put it away. Take the lnl plunger rod and saw off the plunger head. Sand down the back of the plunger head to remove what remains of the plunger rod.

Posted Image

Start drilling a hole in the center of the back of the plunger head for the stem of the NF plunger rod to fit into. You want this hole to be roughly a 1/4"x1/4" square.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Very carefully drill a hole in the top of the plunger head around the nub the rubber piece went around. I used a precision carbide drill bit marked 1.25 Y, but really anything smaller than the screw you use will work. Make sure you drill the hole straight down or it will not match up with the screw well on the NF plunger rod. Put the plunger head over NF stem and thread the hole by taking a screw at least 1/2" long and slowly screwing it through both pieces.

Posted Image

There should be a part of the plunger head which is shaved down on the inside creating a small notch. This is part of the catch, so make sure it is facing down when you screw the plunger head down. Fill in the old catch in the NF plunger rod with hot glue.

The conversion is technically finished here, but the NF plunger rod is a bit thinner than the lnl's, so it needs some stabilization. I took the shell of the now useless NF and cut off about an 1/8" slice of the plastic around the plunger rod.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Put it behind the spring and put the assembly back together. The piece you just cut should fit almost perfectly in the slot behind the spring wall.

Posted Image

For further stability, I cut two squares of sheet metal and glued them to either side of the case. Unfortunately, I used super glue and one fell off after my last war. Learn from my mistake. Use epoxy.

That's about it.
"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#2 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:10 PM

Great work! Very clean too.

#3 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

Use plastic bonder super glue. You put activator on the plastics let it dry for a minute and put the super glue on. Trust me it is strong it glued stuff epoxy wouldn't. Yes I did let the epoxy dry for a day, and mixed it well ,sanded the surfaces, cleaned the surfaces, the whole deal.

EDIT: Forgot to say good job.

Edited by Longshot Wielder, 23 November 2008 - 07:13 PM.

Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#4 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:15 PM

Great job, looks a lot better than all the key ring LnL's. One question: Why does everyone remove the slider bar? Does it somehow hinder performance?

#5 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:19 PM

I have also wondered that you can just put it back on.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#6 hierarchy

hierarchy

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:20 PM

Great job, looks a lot better than all the key ring LnL's. One question: Why does everyone remove the slider bar? Does it somehow hinder performance?

No. Most people just like the look of the gun without the "slider bar".

Also, nice job.

Edited by hierarchy, 23 November 2008 - 07:21 PM.

QUOTE(Retiate @ Aug 13 2007, 08:43 PM) View Post

I guess you have some heavy duty industrial strength toilet paper holders. Do they advise you to wear eye protection when changing rolls?

My TTG mod.

#7 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

It added unneeded weight to plunger rod, and made the gun bigger and bulkier. Maybe other reasons too.

-Cheesypiza001

#8 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:31 PM

It added unneeded weight to plunger rod, and made the gun bigger and bulkier. Maybe other reasons too.

-Cheesypiza001

Definitely bulkier, but they actually designed it so the slide would detach from the actual plunger rod when you cock it, so it didn't add weight. Unfortunately, it would throw off your aim when the slide shot back to its first position though.
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

#9 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:51 PM

It looks pretty clean. Nice job.

#10 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:09 PM

-Cheesypiza001

Definitely bulkier, but they actually designed it so the slide would detach from the actual plunger rod when you cock it, so it didn't add weight. Unfortunately, it would throw off your aim when the slide shot back to its first position though.

Wait, if the slide gets pulled forward by the plunger rod when you shoot, then that would be putting a butt load more mass on the plunger rod. Correct me if I'm wrong, I've never actually used an LnL.

Edited by TantumBull, 23 November 2008 - 08:09 PM.

#11 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:42 PM

-Cheesypiza001

Wait, if the slide gets pulled forward by the plunger rod when you shoot, then that would be putting a butt load more mass on the plunger rod. Correct me if I'm wrong, I've never actually used an LnL.

Well, like I said. Yes, it would if it didn't detach from the plunger rod like it was designed to. So no, it doesn't drag behind the plunger rod.
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

#12 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:56 PM

-Cheesypiza001

It's got an extension spring, just like a mav slider bar. The only difference is that the slider bar doesn't go back to start after cocking. When you shoot, the cocker goes, and then nothing is holding the slider bar back and the force of it's extension spring causes it to go forward.

#13 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:10 AM

But then how would the slider pull back the plunger rod? On the mav, if it was like how you guys have described the LnL, the nub used by the slider bar to prime the gun would catch the slider and bring it back with the plunger. I just don't understand how that would work. I understand the mav has an inverted plunger, but the same principle still applies... I think.

Edited by TantumBull, 24 November 2008 - 12:11 AM.

#14 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:51 AM

But then how would the slider pull back the plunger rod?

cneiruvkjna = frustration.
There is a latch with a torsion spring inside the slide that hooks onto the end of the plunger rod when the slider is not primed and unlatches when you prime it. It's ingenious and completely irrelevant to the topic.

We're talking about taking a Lnl and putting a sexy NF plunger rod on it. How awesome is that? The only way it could be more awesome is if it had tits and is on fire.
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users