Modding Styles

Lets Hear 'Em

40 replies to this topic

#1 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:21 AM

I was browsing WAY back in the forums a few days ago, and I came to an old topic about modding styles of the time. I thought some of the responses were pretty cool, so here's the question: What's your style of modding? Do charge blindly in, swinging blindly with blunt instruments like CaptainSlug (Haha :lol: ), or do you plan every detail out from the start Mission Impossible style?

As for me personally, I'll plan enough to give myself a general idea of what I want to achieve, then simply go for it and improvise on the way. Its worked out pretty well for me so far.
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#2 rifleman

rifleman

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:41 AM

I was browsing WAY back in the forums a few days ago, and I came to an old topic about modding styles of the time. I thought some of the responses were pretty cool, so here's the question: What's your style of modding? Do charge blindly in, swinging blindly with blunt instruments like CaptainSlug (Haha :lol: ), or do you plan every detail out from the start Mission Impossible style?

As for me personally, I'll plan enough to give myself a general idea of what I want to achieve, then simply go for it and improvise on the way. Its worked out pretty well for me so far.

I veiw what I want done in my head then try and make it work, in a more descriptive way of how I do things is that sometimes I can can just see it and get it done but other times I go through price checks and quickly sketch what I want to do.

P.S. thanks aetherguy881

Edited by rifleman, 20 November 2008 - 07:23 PM.

"Nerf to all and to all Nerf all Night!"

My guns are in my PI on my profile.

More people need to nerf in North Dakota

#3 Tornado13

Tornado13

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:43 AM

For me it's a mix of both. I like to know what i'm going to do but then I grab my dremel and hammer and start flailing them around until i'm done modding.

#4 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:47 AM

I like my guns to APPEAR stock for the most part. I have a couple that are dramatically messed up due to modding.
Gimme back my bullets....

#5 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:33 AM

I'd definitely have to agree with you Bullet. I hate messing up the clear-cut lines of a gun with dremel and hacksaw cuts if I can possibly avoid it. I'm a big one for cosmetics, mainly cause I'm a very visual person. If a gun doesn't inspire pure awe in those who look at it, its back to the workbench.

Edited by CROW, 20 November 2008 - 01:34 AM.

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#6 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:12 AM

I'd definitely have to agree with you Bullet. I hate messing up the clear-cut lines of a gun with dremel and hacksaw cuts if I can possibly avoid it. I'm a big one for cosmetics, mainly cause I'm a very visual person. If a gun doesn't inspire pure awe in those who look at it, its back to the workbench.

Finally! Someone that agrees with my idea of sexy! I tend to dislike guns that are just a Frankenstein of various guns slapped together or have REALLY bad paint jobs. (Look at some of the early posts in the "Show off your mods thread" for an idea of what I mean.) My LS is one of those sexy beasts that looks stock (mostly.) It under preforms quite badly in a few areas, but I'm working to fix that.
Gimme back my bullets....

#7 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:51 AM

How to I mod? Well lets see..... It all begins with a virgin sacrifice.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#8 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:34 AM

I usually do a couple drawings, price checks, then i get the whole mod done in one sitting. I don't like my guns to look like toys, I like realistic looking guns.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#9 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:13 AM

Here is what I think through in my mind when I'm modding:
1. Will it be effective in a war?
2. Will it be durable to last the entire war, and hopefully longer?
3. Will it be effective in a war?
4. Will it be effective in a war?
5. Hopefully it will still looks nice when I'm through.

Honestly, being effective in a Nerf war is really all that matters to me. Back in the day I use to use 5" inches on a NF to squeeze every inch out of it, but I don't use anything longer than 3" on a pistol now, anything longer and it's just a pain in the ass to load. If it's not a pistol its got a 1/2" PVC coupler on it. It is the quickest, most reliable way to load a primary.

#10 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:24 AM

I start out with improving the power of the gun, then reinforcing it so it stays that way. Then cosmetics.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#11 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:30 AM

Rifleman hit the nail on the head. However that's just the basics. I do plan on what I'm going to try to do. If I don't have a part or material, I won't do the modification. I don't like leaving blasters open to the cats. Or whoever wants to use the workbench in my absence.
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#12 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:04 PM

I prefer to plan it out, then start. If anything doesn"t work according to plan I'll adjust.

I do like my guns to look clean, not that overly hot glued or duct taped together stuff.
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#13 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:12 PM

Look at a blaster

Think about what purpose it should be

Cut things off and glue things on until that purpose is achieved

Modify the design as needed to look good after functionality is achieved

Edited by hereticorp, 20 November 2008 - 12:13 PM.

#14 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:28 PM

How to I mod? Well lets see..... It all begins with a virgin sacrifice.

You know, I've done extensive double-blind testing in this area. Sacrificing virgins has no discernible advantage over sacrificing er... Non-virgins. But sacrificing their virginity first sure makes the modding session more fun!
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#15 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:43 PM

Virgins willing to be sacrificed in the name of nerf are generally virgins for a reason.

VACC

#16 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:05 PM

Virgins willing to be sacrificed in the name of nerf are generally virgins for a reason.

VACC

Virgins willing to sacrifice their virginity for a nerf gun are most likely jailbait, and male.

It's a shame really.

#17 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:13 PM

VACC

I am very impressed that you've been able to find willing virgins. Thank heaven for GHB!
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#18 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:21 PM

VACC

Virgins willing to sacrifice their virginity for a nerf gun are most likely jailbait, and male.

It's a shame really.

Yeah....

I usually start a mod, then work on one specific part of that mod until I'm satisfied, even if it takes a week or more.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#19 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:21 PM

Really now? Its degraded to this?

VACC said it right. Now stop talking about sex. None of you have ever modded a gun while having sex, or even having your hand on a girl... or even using the same hand that has touched a girl.

I just kinda take apart the gun, then look at it for a while, until I get an idea. then I draw it out, then I mod it, then I take pictures and show them to people, asking for how I should paint it. Its pretty simple.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#20 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:23 PM

I actually sacrifice hookers, but it has nothing to do with nerf.

When I mod, I build it in my head before I do anything. If there is something that I can't work out in my mind, I don't even start on the project. After I have it worked out, I talk to my friend (that I made the lancer with), and we throw around ideas to make everything work. Once I get a solid idea, I start building. The bad part is that I keep making changes and improvements along the way. It doesn't matter what I do, I always have to one-up myself. The lancer I made was just supposed to be a slightly cleaner version of forsaken's with different paint. I ended up putting lots more into it. The good thing about it though is that I had a fine-line goal to work toward since I was trying to replicate something as exactly as I could. Most mods I do are things that I think will look cool and be fun, so that evolves as I build. For the most part, I am a measure twice, cut once and then throw that out the window and try something else kind of modder.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#21 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:43 PM

As the creator of a gun called "FrankenMod", you can probably tell that looks don't matter in the least to me. I go for pure effectiveness. I am a shitty painter, so most of the time, they stay stock colors.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#22 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:01 PM

I am a shitty painter, so most of the time, they stay stock colors.

True story.
I personally change how I mod, depending on the gun and mods. It's really the most logical way. If I'm going to coupler a pistol splat, I can just hack and glue. If I'm going to create a new kind of mod entirely, I've been known to plan out each and every detail, most importantly part supplies. I like to use commonly available parts as opposed to "some spring I had laying around" or the likes. I've also been known to come up with mods for guns I don't even own or have ever even seen. I research internals, figure out how everything works, make scale diagrams to find out how much space things can fit in, run some number comparisons of other effective mods. Planning can be very important, but there's really no need to dissect every little thing if you're doing a barrel replacement.
Teehee.

#23 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:55 PM

Well it depends on the gun that i'm going to mod. If it's like a Nite-Finder for a friend or something, i'll open it up, take out the Ar's and replace the barrel with CPVC, easy mod, done using common sense.

When I try to replicate a somewhat moderate-difficult mod (that's in my opinion of course), first, i'll see if I have the gun and materials, and I want to do the mod. Then i'll read the write up all the way through, then again while doing the mod. Now if there's something I don't like about the mod, or what the person did to the mod, I try to get around it or find a different way of doing it. An example is when I did my write up for the ERTL Rapid fire Shotgun, I couldn't remove the fastener 'cause I don't have a dremel, so I just left it there and made it a manual turret.

When I create my own mod, I don't really write down the steps or draw pictures of how it would/should look like. I just bring my camera down with me ('cause I mod in the garage) and I take pictures of random parts and use the ones that I need.

Now, when i'm thinking about modding a gun so it would be my primary I think of a few things:
1.) Is it practical to use in a nerf war? (stuff won't fall out or get snagged)
2.) Does it shoot far enough?
3.) Is it comfortable?
4.) Does it look good?
When it's a secondary
1.) Is it practical?
2.) Will it fit into my pocket/holister/sling?
3.) Does it look good?

#24 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:12 PM

I take my tools and tinker around with stuff.
But before that, I sketch out some stuff, then I get to work.
There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#25 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:21 PM

I'm more of a homemade guy than a modder--I do mod, but it's a totally function-oriented, slap-a-coupler-on-there-and-chop-bits-off kind of thing. However, when it comes to design work, my latest project went very smoothly due to the fact that I actually sketched, planned, and designed the entire unit before starting construction, leading to far less troubleshooting later on; everything worked, because I had already figured out every way in which it could fail, and re-designed accordingly.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users