Barrel Length For Sm1.5k?

only respond if you know from experience

14 replies to this topic

#1 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:16 PM

I recently acquired a couple of SM1500's and have a burning question. All the other write ups dealt with CPVC, and I'm using PETG, so I'm guessing my darts have a looser fit in PETG than those other peoples' darts did in CPVC. I'm assuming that would affect barrel length. The only 1.5K I saw with looser barrels was in the mods section and used 6" barrels. 6" doesn't seem like enough, as thats what I have on my not singled AT3K, and the SM1.5K is more powerful.

So, how long of barrels should I use? Keep in mind I will be keeping the turret on, as singling it would be a complete waste for my play style. Also, please do not post unless you've actually barrel modded a 1.5K. I don't need any speculation. Thank you for your time.

Edited by TantumBull, 19 November 2008 - 07:16 PM.

#2 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:20 PM

9 inches.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#3 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:24 PM

9 inches.

Alright, thanks man. When you put your barrels in, did you just put etape on the bases, and then just goop them into the stock barrel stubs?

#4 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:24 PM

I can tell you from experience, 6 inches is the way to go. In my eyes it's a standard among at2k's and sm1.5k quad mods. Every at2k and sm1.5k I have modded, I have used 6 inch barrels ranging in material to nested brass, cpvc, and even your material of choice, PETG. 6 inches seems to be the prime length for achieving a good combination of range,accuracy, and velocity.

EDIT: The sm1.5k and the at2k are identical guns, neither is more powerful then the other.

Edited by Uncle Hammer, 19 November 2008 - 07:25 PM.

Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#5 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:30 PM

I can tell you from experience, 6 inches is the way to go. In my eyes it's a standard among at2k's and sm1.5k quad mods. Every at2k and sm1.5k I have modded, I have used 6 inch barrels ranging in material to nested brass, cpvc, and even your material of choice, PETG. 6 inches seems to be the prime length for achieving a good combination of range,accuracy, and velocity.

EDIT: The sm1.5k and the at2k are identical guns, neither is more powerful then the other.

Their tanks may be identical, but the SM1.5K releases air a lot faster because the thingy leading from the tank to the turret is wider. I think. Never actually seen AT2K internals in real life. Also I was comparing the 1.5K to an at3k.

But anyway, thank you. Now I have to decide between 6 and 9 inches.

Edited by TantumBull, 19 November 2008 - 07:32 PM.

#6 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:38 PM

6 inches. That's what everyone uses including me. 9 inches is way too long, it will just be a pain to load and look goofy.

Also, there's no difference between SM1500 and 2k internals. Neither releases air more quickly than the other, at least not enough to make a measurable difference in performance. 90% of the ranges posted on the internet are bullshit also, so don't expect to get 85-90' out of the gun because it's not going to happen. The average is more like 65-75'.
SexD Warves

#7 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:01 PM

Honestly, I use 9" and I get 80' consistently with PETG nested in 1/2" PVC.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#8 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:03 PM

But anyway, thank you. Now I have to decide between 6 and 9 inches.

That's what SHE said!

Sorry, my inner 13 year old surfaced for a second....

I have to vote for 6 inches, though. I got better ranges with the sixes, which is nice, because then you can get two per stick of PETG. :angry:
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#9 Accord

Accord

• Banned
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:35 PM

6 inches for a SM1.5k/AT2k is about right

#10 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:42 PM

I've used 6, 8, and 12 inches. 12" barrels worked just fine, but was a pain to ramrod and a little bit cumbersome, so I wouldn't recommend that. With 6" barrels I felt I was losing a little bit or range (no more than 10') and accuracy. So I'd suggest 8" barrels.
More importantly it depends on your dart fit, though. The tighter the fit the shorter the barrels you should use.

#11 Hoceky

Hoceky

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:17 PM

I use 6 " for alot of my air guns.
meh.

#12 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:42 PM

I use 6 " for alot of my air guns.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Also, please do not post unless you've actually barrel modded a 1.5K. I don't need any speculation.

Not trying to be a dick, I just don't want to be misled.

Edited by TantumBull, 19 November 2008 - 10:43 PM.

#13 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:51 PM

First, AT2K and SM1.5K internals are different (volume is practically identical, but other dimensions vary visibly) and they do release the air at different rates. This is because the AT2K's stem is more narrow. That was the entire basis of my AT2K range improvement thread. Those that still disagree with my opening statement should peruse that thread.

Secondly, 6" barrels is wasting a lot of potential in a pump-plugged SM1500. You can get 100' flat with 9" barrels, a plugged pump, and good dart fit (this blaster releases air relatively quickly so a looser dart fit is fine and actually preferable over too tight a fit). I really doubt many (if any) members of this forum have modified or tested more SM1500's than I have.* I have spent well over fourty hours with a couplered turret using different barrel lengths ranging from four to twelve inches on three different blasters. Anything over ten inches and you're definitely not gaining any range. Anything less than eight and you're wasting potential. Nine inches is a good number, but anything between eight and ten works just fine. Again, this is all based on a pump plugged SM1500.

I don't ramrod my darts because they fit just loosely enough that I can blow them down (all four at once...no jokes needed) and just tight enough that they won't fall out when running.

*Does anybody have more than twenty-five modified, turreted SM1500's? That they use as loaners on a regular basis? Or twenty AT2K's for that matter? Don't mean to be an arrogant brag...just saying.

***As a side note, for those of you who don't use ramrods and blow your darts down the barrel, if you give your turret a half a turn (between resting position) and blow, you will meet much less resistance and the darts will slide down much more quickly and with less effort on your part. Just load four darts, do half a turn, and blow.

#14 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:03 PM

Thank you so much imaseoulman. Really. I mean it. I was kind of hesitant to do anything before I got a post like that. I was actually originally thinking about just PMing you this thread as I remember from your recent AT2K thread that you have experience with these guns. I decided against it because I wanted to see what the rest of the NIC thought. I was wondering when you'd show. Also, my foam has like the friggin' exact same fit in PETG as yours does, judging by your explanation.

To everyone: Thank you for your contributions. I have decided on 9".

#15 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:19 PM

Something to think about: rather than just cutting your barrels directly to nine inches, why not start at 12" and cut your way back? Barrel measurements are very dependent upon the foam used in them. Yours may be different, so it's worthwhile for you to start with the maximum measurement and work shorter.

And as a side note: I can vouch for imaseulman's SM1.5ks...they don't just welt, they bruise at 100'.

Edited by Carbon, 19 November 2008 - 11:19 PM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users