Photo

Reputation System

22 replies to this topic

Poll: Rep system? (80 member(s) have cast votes)

Would an xbox live like rep system be good or helpful?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 najmodder0424

najmodder0424

• Banned
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

I don't know how many of the people on this site have xbox live but I do. I love the reputation system they have. So i was wondering if anyone thinks a reputation system for Nerfhaven would be good? I think it would help people know the popular opinion of all the members of the 'Haven.

Explanation: It's a system of stars tha shows how much people like you, much like a video game rating. Different choices will be given to members and they choose one to show what they think of you.
It will be calculated and averaged into a system of 1-5 stars. 1 being the owrst, 5 being the best. Pretty simple.

Edited by najmodder0424, 18 November 2008 - 09:24 PM.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.

-Eric Hoffer (1902-1983)

Rabbit + Hunting Bullet from a hunting rifle = exploded rabbit

#2 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:20 PM

you may need to explain for those that don't know what that is.
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#3 najmodder0424

najmodder0424

• Banned
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:26 PM

you may need to explain for those that don't know what that is.

Is that a good expplanation?
You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.

-Eric Hoffer (1902-1983)

Rabbit + Hunting Bullet from a hunting rifle = exploded rabbit

#4 silentsnipe

silentsnipe

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:38 PM

maybe that would work. Sounds cool. I'm up for it.
And it's absolutely rated R for the violence. Also boobies. And pee pees.

Talio.

Join TheNerfFreaks.forumotion.com TODAY!

#5 MercenaryXero

MercenaryXero

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:51 PM

So what you're saying is enable the built-in karma functionality of invision? I kinda like the current "Piss off the admins and get banned" system :/

#6 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:48 PM

I read some back posts a while ago, and the original plan, to me anyway, seemed as though this site was going to be karma based. I'm not sure what happened to that, maybe it was just voted against, somewhere in the development of this site. While karma is an interesting system, I have no issue with the current hierarchy of Admins/Mods and regular members. The site works fine how it is.

#7 DarkKnight

DarkKnight

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:44 PM

I agree with analogkid that the site appears to run fine with all the work our current admins need to go through. However, I need to ask, what would the Reputation System be based on? Technical knowledge, modding ability, amount of friends, "customer service", admin skills, etc...?

What I'm trying to get at is that the rep system may subjectively apply to certain facets, but not others. Someone may have plenty of friends who mod him up, but might not be a modder. Conversely someone else would be an awesome modder and have great technical knowledge, but suck at "customer service". (Note, I'm not referring to anyone specific - so no flames)

Losers always whine about their best... Winners go home and fcsk the prom queen.

#8 stickfigure91x

stickfigure91x

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:49 PM

Why waste the time? If someone is an idiot, ignore them. Problem solved.
The laughing will cease when the effectiveness is proven.

#9 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:07 AM

The problem with reputation/karma systems is that your score can be RUINED by an idiot, rather than by BEING one. Someone decides they don't like you because THEY'RE a dick, and YOU get the shit end of the stick for it.

The current system works fine, so I don't see a real reason for change.
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#10 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:15 AM

Explanation: It's a system of stars tha shows how much people like you, much like a video game rating. Different choices will be given to members and they choose one to show what they think of you.
It will be calculated and averaged into a system of 1-5 stars. 1 being the owrst, 5 being the best. Pretty simple.

Um...yeah about that... see... nerf isn't exactly a MASSIVE hobby... oye...

You'll gain a Legitimate Reputation simply by being a reasonable, active and contributing member of the community, You'll EARN it if you deserve it. Giving people little stars because you like or dislike them is just a popularity contest, doesn't mean crap... just like post counts...and estimated ranges, meaningless.

Just remember these words:
"Have a take, don't suck. If you don't know if you suck; you do." - Jim Rome

-Bags

Edited by baghead, 19 November 2008 - 12:17 AM.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#11 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:14 AM

Um...yeah about that... see... nerf isn't exactly a MASSIVE hobby... oye...

Yeah, yeah... I'm working on it.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#12 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:26 AM

You'll gain a Legitimate Reputation simply by being a reasonable, active and contributing member of the community, You'll EARN it if you deserve it. Giving people little stars because you like or dislike them is just a popularity contest, doesn't mean crap... just like post counts...and estimated ranges, meaningless.

Wait, who were you again?

[/sarcasm]

Exactly. Some of us would never get any stars, while the obvious "stars" of the community would be the only ones with rep points. Oh, the humanity!
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#13 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:09 AM

There's a period after you join this site, before you get validated, when you're supposed to just read the forums. That should give you an idea of how things are done here, who's in charge, and who the well respected members of the community are.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#14 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:45 PM

There's a period after you join this site, before you get validated, when you're supposed to just read the forums. That should give you an idea of how things are done here, who's in charge, and who the well respected members of the community are.

Unless Santa Clause brings CX a shitload of free time this christmas, these drastic forum alteration suggestions are rather pointless.

#15 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:39 PM

Unless Santa Clause brings CX a shitload of free time this christmas, these drastic forum alteration suggestions are rather pointless.

It appears that you may have misspelled "Even if" ...

LIES! There's a far worse spelling error here...

Cxwq? Who's Cx? My name is K****...

Edited by Falcon, 19 November 2008 - 01:40 PM.

----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#16 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:51 PM

It appears that you may have misspelled "Even if" ...

LIES! There's a far worse spelling error here...

Cxwq? Who's Cx? My name is K****...

That's because he doesn't like you.

VACC
~No one told you?~

#17 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:33 PM

NO NO NO, DEAR GOD NO.
A Reputation system is a sure-fire way to destroy an otherwise useful forum and turn it into an extremely juvenile popularity and butt-hurting contest.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#18 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:15 PM

...butt-hurting contest.

Don't worry CS, its now my goal to prevent Sodomy on this board.

Oh yeah, Rep system. We don't need it when we have the Feedback thread.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#19 TheNerfLoki

TheNerfLoki

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:03 PM

I voted no. And if you were smart and had not already voted you would vote no. Someone would hack the system and make yours -5 for posting this. Besides you can form your own opinion about someone by using the "View this members posts" function on the profile.
Am I the only one who uses the sig function for a sig?
TNL,

#20 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:41 AM

Here's the bottom line: I really don't give a flying fuck what most members here think of me. It's the Internet, for heaven's sake. The few people who matter don't need a rep system; they've got eyes and functioning brains, and I'm not a douchebag, which is what's important. Such things tend to work themselves out over time.

Edited by rork, 23 November 2008 - 12:42 AM.

<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#21 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:15 AM

I have been a member of over 25 forums in the past 5 years...

I voted no.

Nerfhaven does not have the right atmosphere for an objective reputation system. I've seen those rating systems fail pretty badly in the past. They are not appropriate at a place where reputation is built through substance only. NH members are in control of their own reputation and may rise or fall on their own merits...ratings take that ability away and place it in the hands of many whom are not competent enough to decide someone else's rep, especially if they don't know that person and have never even nerfed with them.

Ratings work at forums where post counts, join dates, ranks, etc. matter. Here they do not, so ratings would be detrimental for reasons mentioned above and in earlier posts. They are also abusable if you have a grudge and a brain. Ratings wouldn't even form half a reputation anyway; half your rep comes off the battlefield where people can match the username with the real live player. That's the more important half when it comes to a forum about nerfing.

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)
NYC Nerf Ops - Nerf in New York City itself
NJ Nerf Ops - Nerf in New Jersey
CT Nerf Ops - Nerf in Connecticut

UNO also has a Discord server, DM me on Discord to join (@vincentdrake)

-----------------------------------------------
My other groups:
Nerf Thrifters - A group for posting thrifts and other second-hand finds

#22 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:07 PM

Seriously, look at yahoo answers, that shit is so messed up, it's not even funny.

I would be okay with some more moderators and a much more demanding validation system (1000 word essay anyone?). I also wish we had a little bit looser rules here, but I would NEVER want a rep system.

Edited by Foamfoot, 23 November 2008 - 02:10 PM.

Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 14 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

Damn it Foamfoot. Why is it that you kill every good topic with a retarded response a few days late.

#23 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:32 PM

Alright, we've established that it's a bad idea, our fearless leaders have indicated their opinion. That sholud be all there is to it.

I'm tired of this thread being at the top of my "view new posts" search. Let's move on.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users