Photo

What Kind Of Pvc...help...

25 replies to this topic

#1 buckbogey

buckbogey

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 04:46 PM

Hey, I went to the hardware sotre the other day ad was looking at a new barrel for a hommade <i blew out my old one>.

I need to know what is better, Regular old PVC, of that new CPVC.
Winners are never quitters, and quitters are never winners. Think about it.

#2 buckbogey

buckbogey

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 04:48 PM

Holy Crap please tell me i'm not that bad of a speller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

#3 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:06 PM

Try waiting more than two minutes for a reply, dumbass.
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#4 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 06:44 PM

Holy Crap please tell me i'm not that bad of a speller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Sadly, you are.

Try waiting more than two minutes for a reply, dumbass.

Even though that is slightly true, I won't be rude by just posting to call you names over the internet. Instead, I'll say try to avoid double posting, and edit your posts instead. I will answer your question.

Now, your barrel has always, and will always depend on your darts. CPVC is a good fit for micros for the most part, and it is availible in 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch for megas. PVC is sold in 1/2 inch, but it fits megas better than micros because it's inner diametre is larger. If you use cigars however, this 1/2 PVC barrel would work very well.

If you are looking for the best barrel, it would be brass or PETG. Copper is also a very good fit for commercial micros, and homemades. For you homemade gun, use the material that the rest of the gun is made out of, to avoid any size problems with adapters and such.

In the end, it is all personal preference. Good luck, and I hope this helps you.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#5 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 07:00 PM

For every person here who says CPVC fits micro stefans, there's another person here who says that their FBR will never in a million years fit in CPVC and you have to get brass or SCH 80 or PETG.

Take your darts to the store and buy what fits. That's really the only answer anybody can give you that's particularly useful. 1/2" FBR is not equal to 1/2" FBR is not equal... ad infinitum.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#6 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 07:15 PM

1/2" FBR is not equal to 1/2" FBR is not equal... ad infinitum.

That's a great way to sum it up Cxwq! :lol:
Nerfer16 of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team
Nerf on!

#7 buckbogey

buckbogey

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 09:18 PM

I tried taking darts to the store <i use micro setfans> but nothing fit, Not PETG, not brass nothing! Please, i have got to get another barrel before the next war. If anyone who knows any special material, please help.

#8 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 09:25 PM

Since it's available in 1/32" increments, brass fits anything.

Are you sure you didn't try copper? Brass isn't available at Home Despot or the like. PETG isn't available anywhere at retail. I'm quite curious what materials you were actually trying...

As noted several times in replies to you, ``I use micro stefans'' means nothing since FBR that's nominally 1/2" actually ranges from 3/8" to 9/16". That variance is a really big deal when sizing barrel materials.

#9 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 10:36 PM

There are two different sizes of copper that I can get from both Ace hardware and my local Home Despot. They are labeled M and L. M has red lettering printed on the tube, L has blue(that actually looks more like black but is still called blue) lettering. M is a few thousandths of an inch bigger than L. L seems to work better for my size of darts. I get 1/2" FBR Frost King brand from Home Despot. Take a look at copper, you might find a size that works well. :lol:
Nerf on!

#10 ShatteredDreams

ShatteredDreams

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 11:05 PM

As noted several times in replies to you, ``I use micro stefans'' means nothing since FBR that's nominally 1/2" actually ranges from 3/8" to 9/16". That variance is a really big deal when sizing barrel materials.

No no no, see Cx, the problem was he was using micro "setfans" heh, Buckbogey, Cx is right though it is mainly just what type of pipe you use. Bring the micros like he said and check out the pipe, it should work out well.
"Diplomats are just as esential to starting a war, as soldiers are to finishing it."- Will Rogers.

#11 Diablo

Diablo

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 12:09 AM

I use CPVC, and it works well for me. What I would do though, is buy a cheap Nerf gun, mod it with a certain barrel type, test ranges, record data, change barrel, test ranges, record data, and repat until all the barrel types have been used. This way you will find out what darts fire best out of what barrels. Just make sure you don't try shooting out of different Nerf guns, won't work if you change the variable....

-Diablo

NHQ Administrator | www.nerfhq.com

#12 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 12:56 PM

I use CPVC, and it works well for me. What I would do though, is buy a cheap Nerf gun, mod it with a certain barrel type, test ranges, record data, change barrel, test ranges, record data, and repat until all the barrel types have been used. This way you will find out what darts fire best out of what barrels. Just make sure you don't try shooting out of different Nerf guns, won't work if you change the variable....

Good idea Diablo. That is a great way to find out once and for all what barrels work best for a given size of FBR.
Nerf on!

#13 buckbogey

buckbogey

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 04:29 PM

I tried copper, PVC, CPVC, steel pipe, and a few other things that i cant remember. Nothing gave the fit i wanted. Where the heck do you get PETG, i've looked everywhere for it, but cant find it.

#14 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 04:44 PM

PM IronRhino, he sells PETG.
Nerf on!

#15 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 04:48 PM

Find a store that sells K&S brass. Hobby shops and model railroad stores tend to carry it. It's available in 1/32" increments and will fit anything.

PETG is generally only available in bulk unless someone wants to sell you some. I bought a thousand feet of it from the manufacturer and sold a bunch to Iron Rhino so he could distribute it for me. I'd suggest contacting him.

#16 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:08 PM

http://www.mcmaster.com/

They sell PETG in 6 foot sections, also sell brass, and all sorts of cool little things you can build stuff with.
Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#17 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 06:09 PM

Not to knock the Mcmasters link but what did the ID turn out to be for their PETG? Several people reported that it was significantly different from the stuff Iron Rhino is selling.

#18 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 08:41 PM

Not to knock the Mcmasters link but what did the ID turn out to be for their PETG? Several people reported that it was significantly different from the stuff Iron Rhino is selling.

Does IronRhino know ID PETG he is selling? On this McMaster website, they have unlimited combinations of ID and OD as well as PSI tolerances.

There's no direct link, since the whole site is a frame and catalogue setup, but just search for 'PETG' and select the third choice in the search results 'PETG (Copolyester) Tubes'.

I'm thinking of buying some for myself.

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--

#19 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 09:15 PM

If IronRhino or Cx could tell us what the i.d. and o.d. of your PETG is, that would be great. Mcmasters might have the right size!
Nerf on!

#20 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 09:59 PM

Unlimited combinations? As far as Nerf is concerned, McMaster has precisely two useful sizes. 1/2" ID and 5/8" ID, both +/- .01" and both available in two varieties of wall thickness.

The PETG Iron Rhino is selling is .528" ID and .572" OD. That's extremely similar to 9/16" K&S brass tubing (.53125" ID and .5625" OD) which makes it a very useful size for those people with FBR that's extremely close to 1/2" in diameter.

So the McMaster stuff is 1/32" smaller ID and 1/16" bigger OD making it too tight for most FBR and harder to integrate into most guns.

I'm tired of having this discussion, I swear this is the third time I've looked up these numbers for people.

Here is the original PETG post.

#21 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 10:03 PM

I'm tired of having this discussion, I swear this is the third time I've looked up these numbers for people.

Here is the original PETG post.

Well dude, I'm sorry. You didn't have to do any of that... the kid has to make his own choices in the end I think. I don't know if he wants to buy it off of IronRhino, or get it from the site, but either way, it's his choice.

I didn't mean to make you go through the trouble of finding numbers and putting yourself through another barrel materials topic.

--

#22 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 10:35 PM

The reason I am interested in McMaster, is because it has PETG that have the exact same outer and inner diamter as PVC (generally). After my current homemade zero valve gets done drying, I am going to make a totally clear zero valve with PETG instead of PVC.

I don't really care for PETG as a barrel type because brass is better in all ways (in my opinion) except for weight. And I don't own a AT3k or AT4k so weight is not a factor.

Edited by xedice, 19 January 2004 - 10:36 PM.

Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#23 buckbogey

buckbogey

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 05:40 PM

Sorry you had to do all that. I normaly use brass of CPVC, but I changed to a different brand of FBR and they aren't the same size, even though the pacange says they are. I was just wondering what was out there. Thanks for what you did.

#24 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 06:38 PM

Geez, how did this get under my radar.

McMaster's is well, not nearly as good. It is too tight and has really thick walls. Some Alabama nerfers bought it and it sucked. Mine on the other hand, is small walled and everyone I've sold it too have liked it. I don't know their price, but mine is only $1.25/foot.

PETG is far easier to cut than brass, and it's cheaper. I recommend use it from a salesman's viewpoint and from an objective viewpoint.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#25 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 07:15 PM

McMaster's PETG is $0.69 a foot. Minimum of a 6 foot purchase.

--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users