16 replies to this topic

#1 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/LukeKoboJobo on Reddit

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:16 PM

Okay, so I have read every single friggin' hornet topic on this site. I just can't get rid of the stock barrels. I drilled out the AR's a la Ompa's mod, but I can't figure out how to get the remaining nubs of the stock barrels out. I tried drilling one of them out with a 9/16 drill bit. The bit jumped around a ton and I ended of mangling the black outer barrel for that barrel (basicly won't be able to put a straight PETG barrel on that anymore). I've also tried prying, dremeling, and headshotting the stock barrels. But to no avail. Someone who has had sucess with a hornet barrel replacement mod, please help me out.

#2 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:38 PM

9/16th?

When I remove hornet barrels ... ITS NOT EASY.... get a 6in or so piece of 1/2in dowel..... you have to have the pegs out..... shove the dowel into the barrel and twist and bend it all over the place, you will hear cracking and all sorts of noise... just keep doing it switching back and forth between the 2 connected barrels..... eventually they will get loose enough to come out

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#3 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:47 PM

Have you tried this?
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#4 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:49 PM

I just cut off the barrels where they meet the black fitter-plate/stabilizing-thingy. I then dremel out the orange barrels down to wear those protector plates are (little white things that are also kinda air restrictors) with a high speed plastic cutter. After that I drill out the protector plate/air restrictors.

Then insert new barrels and enjoy. Takes a while to do this, but it's the fastest way I know how.

#5 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:26 AM

Mr BadWrench: Thanks, I'll try that.

nerfboi: When I said I've read every hornet topic, I meant it. Well, kind of. But yes, I've read that and tried it.

imasoulman: I have a terrible off-brand dremel that needs to be charged every 10 minutes. I think your method would be a bit too tedious. Just a bit. But thanks for your idea.

#6 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:29 PM

Bump!

I've tried your method, badwrench, but it isn't working. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right though. I'm taking a fat drill bit that's about a half inch in diameter and is a foot long. I shove in the non-buisness end and then push it around. I here no cracking. Keep in mind that 3/4 of the barrels are sawn off, the restrictors are removed, and the white protective caps have holes drilled into them.

Anyone else have any ideas? I'm open to all methods.

#7 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:06 AM

Spend $20 on Wal-Mart's Black & Decker Rotary tool. You will thank yourself. I used to have the same problem you have, until I bought this one. It's amazing.

When it comes to Dremel's, cordless is not better.

#8 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:29 AM

Spend $20 on Wal-Mart's Black & Decker Rotary tool. You will thank yourself. I used to have the same problem you have, until I bought this one. It's amazing.

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that cordless sucks as well, unless you're going to be using it outside. I was looking into the 300 series just because of the speed dial. Aren't there only 2 speed settings on the dremel you have? Does it still get the job done?

#9 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:48 PM

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that cordless sucks as well, unless you're going to be using it outside. I was looking into the 300 series just because of the speed dial. Aren't there only 2 speed settings on the dremel you have? Does it still get the job done?

My B&D has three settings (L,M,H) but is actually a variable speed setting (you can turn it half way between Low and Medium for an in between speed). It definitely gets the job done. It has a top speed of something like 45,000 RPM's, so it definitely has the power. If you're used to cordless, use this once and you will fall in love with it.

#10 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:00 PM

imasoulman, is this the one you're referring to? Link. Also, could you explain to me what a high speed plastic cutter bit looks like?

Edited by TantumBull, 18 November 2008 - 06:02 PM.

#11 ejrasmussen

ejrasmussen

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:50 PM

As I can tell you are having troubles with your hornet mod. To actually get rid of all of the air restrictors i suggest doing my mod. If you've tried it but can't get the barrels out with the screw driver than i suggest getting a dremel and cutting the bottom mid section of the barrels that attatches to the shell with a cutting disk. From there you should be able to ory the barrels off from the black cassings. If not just cutt off the cassings, im sure it wont do any harm.

#12 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:00 PM

Umm, yeah, as I've already mentioned, the restrictors are out. Also, if you look at the bottom of the black casing, you will see that the barrels are glued onto the base of the casing and directly onto the air tank. Cutting those ridges between the barrels out won't do a thing, by the looks of it. Also, the whole point of removing the barrels are for doing a barrel replacement, and you can't have straight barrels without the black spacer completely intact.

#13 ejrasmussen

ejrasmussen

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:51 PM

When you look down the barrels do you see gray at the bottom?

#14 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:48 PM

imasoulman, is this the one you're referring to? Link. Also, could you explain to me what a high speed plastic cutter bit looks like?

Yep that's the one. The torque and power it has are just amazing. It's a slightly newer version than mine, though I think it's just newer packaging. It has served me well. Instead of using the high speed plastic cutter, you can just use the sanding drum that comes with the dremel. But if you want the plastic cutter, the one I use is this (or at least similar to it):
#115 on this page

I use it because my sanding drums wear out and this doesn't. It doesn't replace a sanding drum but it's great for some things. They usually cost about $5.

Edited by imaseoulman, 19 November 2008 - 01:50 PM.

#15 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:04 PM

When you look down the barrels do you see gray at the bottom?

I see the hole I drilled into the white plate, and through the hole I see what looks like the valve.

Edited by TantumBull, 19 November 2008 - 07:31 PM.

#16 ejrasmussen

ejrasmussen

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

The White plate is a very large air restrictor.

#17 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:56 PM

The White plate is a very large air restrictor.

No shit, that's why I drilled it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users