Massachusetts

and the rest of New England too

68 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:08 PM

Welcome, nerfers. It seems to me that there aren't that many Massachusetts Nerf wars. So, and I know this is quite far in advanced, how would people like to have a January war? I'm thinking mid to late January, because I know a lot of people ask for blasters for the holidays, and some might like time to modify said blasters. The reason for this being two months in advanced is the lack of activity lately in MA.

Who might be interested? And, please, idea's for games are welcome. I'm thinking that we could mix it up with the fields, if anyone knows a good place that they'd like to recommend, but if it comes down to it the usual playing field in Malden is perfectly fine. Let's go people, MA needs to start Nerfing again! Not just MA either, Maine and New Hampshire, or the rest of New England. Let's get some big wars going on in New England again.

Date
(brainstorming)

-------------------------
ATTENDANCE LIST

Coming:
(Me)
ughhhhh (unregistered member)
+++Team Genocide+++ (+ 1-2 friends)
mulletman

Maybe:
Jackster57
MithMorchaint
najmodder0424 + 4-5 friends
Hoerne
struck by stefan (FU)
aetherguy881

Edited by Thomas, 17 December 2008 - 10:26 PM.

#2 jackster57

jackster57

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:20 PM

I will most likely be coming. Can we have a for sure date? Maybe wes and I could carpool or something. Sounds good. You gotta make it out to our next ME war too.

#3 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:29 PM

I know, but my brother attempted to take his life, so as much as I wanted to be there, I had to look after my bro. I'm waiting to see how many people reply, because I know I've seen a lot of people from Massachusetts here that I haven't seen at any Massachusetts wars. I was going to see if Guinea wanted to host another Turkey Day Weekend War but I never got around to making a thread. So when more people reply and brainstorm a date for it.

#4 Kalex

Kalex

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:29 PM

I'd go, but there's a slight problem with New England Wars: The snow. I'd be worried about losing my darts, and/or Blasters.
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 3 2008, 07:51 AM) View Post

Remember kids, only you can prevent herpes! Or was it something else? Dirty fucking bear.

VACC

#5 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:33 PM

I think we'd be careful enough not to plan on a weekend with snow, and if there is snow unexpectedly, we can push it up a week if people can do it. Worst case scenario; we have it in February instead of January.

#6 MithMorchaint

MithMorchaint

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:01 PM

I would probably be game, depending on where in the state it is. I live around Boston, so having it out near Springfield would be a stretch for how far I'm willing to drive (though it would still be possible).

#7 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:59 AM

Me too, Springfield is quite a drive from Lynn. I'm thinking we could just use the Pine Banks playing field.

#8 Team Genocide

Team Genocide

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:17 PM

If I could make a suggestion for a good place to nerf.

I live in a small town out side of Boston and we do have a few good and large fields to play on. Some include Glen Road park Rotary park ect.

My only concern with this is some of these are at schools or near places of work (police station and town hall) and they may think its a little bit suspicious since there is some worry about airsoft around here. What Im guessing is we could just use like stefans not hardly weighted to avoid safety issues (windows) But for now its just a suggestion.

As far as the time that'd be great because I'm saving up for a BBB and planning on modding the heck out of it. As long as its on a weekend I'd be more than happy to go. :D

#9 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:54 PM

Chances are I won't make it, unless I happen to be visiting Boston at the time. My parents are kinda weird about driving places, seeing that our cars are not very efficient. I also don't have any backup guns or darts for cold weather. I have also heard that springs perform terribly, PETG can shatter, and darts can shrink in cold weather.

I always enjoy winter at my house because I live on a mountain, and my dad and I like to make a sort of a Toboggan run every year, so I might be busy. But who knows, it's still months away.

My house usually has around 3' of snow around that time. How much snow is in MA in January?

Try to make it to the next Menwar, It was really fun.

-Wes

Edited by Wes7143, 15 November 2008 - 03:41 PM.

QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#10 Team Genocide

Team Genocide

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:52 PM

It really all depends on how cold it is that season At most on average we get a foot but sometimes we'll get 2. It really varies on place and time but usually its not so much that you wouldn't be able to but usually a few good inches where I live in Wilmington.

And just curious Thomas if you're the one administrating it do you mind if I bring 2 friends? We just need a good place that we can all get to easily. If you want I can give you a few good places here in Wilmington which is like right near Boston.

#11 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:08 PM

The more the merrier, as they say! Anyone can come as long as their intentions are to nerf and have fun, and not to cause trouble. The day would most likely be a saturday. I'm said to see that you probably wouldn't be able to make it, Wes. I hope you guys host another Maine war sometime this spring, I will definitely make it that time. Also, I think that we're better off using a location where there aren't major buildings around, although I don't think anyone has a gun that could break a window from the distance we would probably be away from it anyway. But I will absolutely consider it. I'm glad to see people are responding to this, I'm just hoping that others will too.

#12 Team Genocide

Team Genocide

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:33 PM

No major buildings hmmm... Well there is this one field pretty distant from a school building and I'm pretty its completely public plus not used during the winter. We can assure no one hits the school because it's like almost a good 50 feet away and its like lower than the concrete ground level so it's kind of like a crater. I don't know it's hard to explain but it is HUGE.

#13 Fenixharth

Fenixharth

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:31 PM

I have a few words of warning tom.

there are a few reasons we don't play after about October and before mid March-ish:

1) It is a bitch to load gun with gloves on and if you don't wear glove your hands will quickly start hurting.
2) Most Fields become dangerous becasue of the risk of snow and/or Ice.
3) The only guns that are safe to use are air guns and even then it is iffy. The shock of a spring gun is mostly absorbed by the plastic that the gun is made of; in cold weather plastic can, and usually does, become very brittle and can fracture as a result of these shocks.

#14 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:58 PM

Hmmm. I've experienced these things, we were ill-prepared for them during the first war I hosted, in Maine. I wish our weather wasn't so unpredictable, sometimes it's hot in january sometimes you get blizzards. Would it be possible to find an indoor location, and restrict air guns? There's got to be a way we can fill the fall/winter void of nerflessness.

#15 Fenixharth

Fenixharth

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:11 PM

Indeed there is. You can make ammo for the comeing months' battles. We went through like 700+ rounds at appoc and we still haven't made anymore.

#16 Team Genocide

Team Genocide

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:40 AM

Yeah I'm going to go out soon and buy some more taggers to make unidarts.

Indoor places I'm unsure of.

#17 najmodder0424

najmodder0424

• Banned
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:06 PM

I have to ask and it depends where the war will be but I will try to make. I'm part of a 7 man nerf squad located in MA. I'm the poster for the squad and I'll try to get everyone to go.
You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.

-Eric Hoffer (1902-1983)

Rabbit + Hunting Bullet from a hunting rifle = exploded rabbit

#18 najmodder0424

najmodder0424

• Banned
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:13 PM

I'd go, but there's a slight problem with New England Wars: The snow. I'd be worried about losing my darts, and/or Blasters.

Are you serious? I just started nerfing in Feb 08' and haven't had a war in the snow but that's why I can't wait untill winter! I'm planning on having a war in the snow with a couple of my buds. Personally I think a war in the snow would be amazingly fun! Good cover and we could play goldrush from Battlefield:Bad Company. We could have snow walls and forts, etc. I think the war should be in the snow with forts,etc.
You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.

-Eric Hoffer (1902-1983)

#19 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:43 PM

Are you serious? I just started nerfing in Feb 08' and haven't had a war in the snow but that's why I can't wait untill winter! I'm planning on having a war in the snow with a couple of my buds. Personally I think a war in the snow would be amazingly fun! Good cover and we could play goldrush from Battlefield:Bad Company. We could have snow walls and forts, etc. I think the war should be in the snow with forts,etc.

Something tells me you've never done anything too vigorous in the snow for a long period of time. Building forts and shoveling is one thing, but the amount of energy expended in a Nerf war in the cold would just be draining. If you've ever tried to unscrew bolts or something in the cold, Ill tell you it's hard with or without gloves, so loading the guns would be a bitch. The idea of a war in the snow is fantastic at first, but then if you think about it, it really isn't. Any snow deeper than 3" would make almost 100% dart loss. If you've ever tried to run in snow deeper than a foot or two, that is nearly impossible, and extremely tiring. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

#20 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:09 PM

Even still, no one's saying there's snow. Everyone shoot out january dates that work for you. We'll eventually find a common one, and if there's a real weather concern it will be called off. I'm glad so many people are interested in coming. I might get a friend to play, and maybe Guinea from FoamUniverse.

#21 najmodder0424

najmodder0424

• Banned
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:55 PM

Something tells me you've never done anything too vigorous in the snow for a long period of time. Building forts and shoveling is one thing, but the amount of energy expended in a Nerf war in the cold would just be draining. If you've ever tried to unscrew bolts or something in the cold, Ill tell you it's hard with or without gloves, so loading the guns would be a bitch. The idea of a war in the snow is fantastic at first, but then if you think about it, it really isn't. Any snow deeper than 3" would make almost 100% dart loss. If you've ever tried to run in snow deeper than a foot or two, that is nearly impossible, and extremely tiring. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Not techinically in snow but i did play basketball for 2 hours in 30 degree weather. I've done lots of shoveling. I played football in the snow for 2 hours, it was at least 8 inches deep. If any of those count please let me know.

-Eric Hoffer (1902-1983)

#22 Team Genocide

Team Genocide

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:56 PM

Even still, no one's saying there's snow. Everyone shoot out january dates that work for you. We'll eventually find a common one, and if there's a real weather concern it will be called off. I'm glad so many people are interested in coming. I might get a friend to play, and maybe Guinea from FoamUniverse.

Im planning on getting my new primary in early January so I'd be done with mods around the middle of the month so any mid january saturday.

Who knows if this goes well my friends and I might plan another one of these for April. B)

#23 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

Perhaps rather than outside (which would suck), we have the war inside, in a gym or large building. It seems like a good idea, and lots of others are doing it, too. that seems like a much better option than Nerfing in the snow.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

#24 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:42 PM

I'm googling like mad to see if there's an indoor recreational facility that's rentable, and so far no luck. If anyone knows of a place please post. I'll keep an eye out for an area.

#25 Hoerne

Hoerne

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:23 PM

I would love to see a mass. war happen sometime soon; like Thomas I will be trying to find areas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users