Disk Shot Modification

Revisit to the internal coupler and 2k turreted

6 replies to this topic

#1 Z4

Z4

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

I wasn’t really happy with my first Disk Shot mod, so I decided to do it again. My main issue with it was the dead space created by the “bridge.” I fix that problem in this modification, and threw in a little something extra.

My project aim was to create a Disk Shot modification that kept the internal coupling and eliminated dead space, and to create a removable 2k turret attachment.

Materials
1 Disk Shot
1 Airtech 2000 turret
CPVC
1 CPVC coupler
1 pen
Electrical tape
Hot glue
Styrofoam
Double-stick tape
Foam backer rod

Tools
Phillips head screwdriver
Dremel with grinding stone
Hot glue gun
Scrollsaw (not necessary, Dremel or hacksaw will suffice)
Drill press (also not necessary, power drill will suffice)
½” drill bit
Hammer

Part I
Open the Disk Shot.
Posted Image

Take your CPVC coupling and cut it as shown in the picture. There should be about ¼” left on one side before the stop.
Posted Image

Dremel out the back of the coupler until it will fit snugly over the lip of the old AR. I didn't even have to glue it after tapping it down with a hammer.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Dremel down the plastic support ring directly in front of the chamber until the coupler fits well. Do this for both sides of the shell.
Posted Image

If you only want to use one barrel, you may close the gun up now. You’ll have to Dremel the inside of the orange ring in order for the barrel to fit.
Posted Image
You’re done with the basic part of the modification. If you wish to add the removable 2k turret, continue reading.

Part II

Drill a 1/2" hole in the front of the blaster just below the barrel hole. Depending on how exactly you drill the hole, you may need to sand it out some. This hole is for the turret axis.
Posted Image

Take the body of your pen. I used a BIC Soft Feel. Any pen that has an O.D. less than the I.D. of the air input on the turret will work. Wrap electrical tape around it until it fits snugly in a small section of CPVC.
Posted Image

Put the small length of CPVC into the coupler. The rear opening of the pen should be flush with the hole in the end of the chamber. Cut the pen off at the front of the shell.
Posted Image

Edited by .Z4., 15 November 2008 - 09:02 PM.

Z4 of the NIC
"We are here to have fun with the toys we love in a civilized and friendly manner."- Talio

#2 Z4

Z4

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:02 PM

Wrap the front of the pen in e-tape until the turret fits snugly.
Posted Image

Sand down the bottom of the piece of CPVC so that the turret axis is not impeded.
Posted Image

Replace the barrels on your 2k turret.
Posted Image

I used the front of the pen and an old BuzzBee dart in the center of the turret to keep the barrels evenly spaced.
Posted Image

Use large amounts of hot glue to join the turret, the pen and the CPVC stub. If you want the turret to be easily removable, don’t get any glue on the coupler.
Posted Image

The turret is easy to remove, but sturdy. I still suggest opening the case if you desire to change from turret to single barrel.
Posted Image

Place all the internals back into the shell. I did not take a picture, but I surrounded the turret axis and air output with FBR for added stability.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Close the gun back up.
Posted Image

I found it helpful to tape some thin plate Styrofoam to the back of the turret, because mine was tending to shoot left.
Posted Image

You’re done!
Posted Image

I really like the versatility of this gun. The turret doesn’t decrease ranges badly. The added ROF is excellent for the circumstances I use this gun for. Around here, we use stock taggers because we don’t play in a huge area, and most shots are taken at around 40’ or so. This gun hits high 50’s singled and low 50’s turreted (with stock taggers and the pictured bungees), so that's perfect. I will test with stefans soon.

I know that people will question my use of hot glue for the turret structure, but I find that the plasticity of it allows the assembly to bend slightly without breaking, so I don't plan to change it. When it eventually breaks, I'll replace it with Plumber's Goop and epoxy putty, but until then, I like it as-is.

Questions or comments?

Edited by .Z4., 15 November 2008 - 09:31 PM.

Z4 of the NIC
"We are here to have fun with the toys we love in a civilized and friendly manner."- Talio

#3 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:22 PM

Nice write up. To bad my at2k turret is broken, or else i may have tried this mod.

A few feet for a higher rof is good a good trade-off for this mod.

Hot glue doesn't hold the best, but even so, I've found it will work in some circumstances.
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#4 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:15 PM

Nice job. It looks pretty nice other than the bottom of the ds because of the minimization... You could put something down there just to fill up the unused space. I like it.

#5 Z4

Z4

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for the comments.

@Kid Flash- Usually, I have the original ammo holder clipped in. I like having the five extra darts close at hand.
It looks considerably neater, but the gun wouldn't stand up with it.
Z4 of the NIC

#6 nightfinder

nightfinder

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:22 PM

I swear if i get the materials to do this ill FREKING DO IT!!!!!!!
NerfGrassHopper
R u gay ur sig makes it look so.. just lokin' for anotha gay nerfer...

#7 Greed

Greed

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:42 PM

I would just be worried about the turret getting knocked out of sync with the rest of the gun through dropping. Is it durable?
1. Now owns and wears a speedo.
2. Operates under 17 layers of psychological subterfuge/warfare/guile.
3. Is a master at rock-paper-scissors.
4. Hates everything. Just ask.
5. Likes his Gengar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users