Photo

Gluegun Cobwebs.

Where the most diabolical of spiders live.

6 replies to this topic

#1 Radio

Radio

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:35 PM

Every time I use my hotglue I ALWAYS end up with a long string of hotglue trailing away from where it's applied leading all the way to the glue gun. It has the consistancy of a cobweb, and it can really funk up a stefan. Also they tend to hang around for awhile and clutter up a project, and, if you are a heavy hotglue user, they can add up quickly. My best solution as of yet is to spin the glue gun around the area I'm attacking for one or two seconds but even that doesn't work perfectly, icing the dart tip tends to harden the cobweb faster, and trying to wipe it with a finger just leaves cobwebby burnmarks.

I guess it's possible I just have a weird kind of glue?
Posted Image

Maybe it's the harshly moderate climate of Northern California?

Does anyone have a creative solution to this problem?
November 28, 2008 1:02 Mod/Paintjob thread:
Timmytown: Thank you for taking care of that idiot VACC, fine fine work. (no pic)
VACC: Are you fucking retarded? Goodbye.

How's that for funny Timmytown?
It's like VACC was up early wishing me a happy birthday!

#2 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:55 PM

Honestly, there is no viable solution to this problem. But really, who cares? You can just snip off the cobweb later with scissors or something, if your that obsessive about it.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#3 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

Swirl around what you are laying down until most of the excess glue has flown off the tip and onto the target spot. this will reduce the string that you wind up with and make it easier to remove. It is a byproduct of using hot glue it just is that way. brand of glue really makes little difference. Although they do vary a bit depending on density. (glitter vs standard vs colored)

For most people the cob webbing effect isn't an issue because they aren't using their glue guns for making stefans but for other crafts. Over time you figure out how to work around the issue. takes a little practice.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#4 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:49 AM

If you are getting webs/strings, if you see one forming just put the hot glue gun tip near where you put hotglue, keep an eye on the string and it should eventally get disconnected because of the heat of the hot glue gun verses the cooling down of the old hot glue. Also the methods above me.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#5 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:04 AM

I find it hilarious when I make around 50-100 stefans, and then realize they're all connected by a thin thread of glue when I try to pick one up.

I just don't worry about it. I glue whatever I'm gonna glue, and then I rip off what cobwebs form afterwards. It's not like it'll ruin what you're glueing.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#6 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:44 PM

Hold the gluegun really close to the target and as you glue, slowly lift the gun away from the target(i.e. stefan) and after you finish applying glue, sharply pull the gun away from the stefan, NF, what-have-you and immediately ice. I never get cobwebs with this method anymore.
American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

#7 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:10 PM

Yeah. This is a real pain in the ass, for some reason when I use colored hot glue this never happens to me. Maybe its just the brand or some shit like that. I also hate when glue guns just spew out glue and get your area all screwed up, Posted Image.

Edited by Icespartan_1114, 16 November 2008 - 05:40 PM.

QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users