Made A L+l...

Very irritating

33 replies to this topic

#1 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:10 PM

So I was making +Bows and I decided that I would have a shot at creating a couple L+Ls just in case someone actually wanted one, and who knows, I might actually enjoy having one as a secondary.

Wow... The whole process was very... Interesting.

Posted Image

It went well up to assembling the catch, see the huge washers on there? They have to be there because the template guide-track doesn't line up with the holes in the front piece. You'll notice that the holes aren't far enough to the edges to line up with the track. Of course I noticed this after I did the cutting already and so had to widen the slots inward quite a bit, so thus the larger washers.

You'll also notice that the top hole on the side doesn't line up, this is why Slug has you mark where the holes go in building a +Bow instead of making them explicit on the templates.

Posted Image

See how far off it ended up being? I had to redrill and re-tap the center piece to make it work right.

Posted Image

Since I hate using wood in a nerf project, I made a plunger out of 1/4" polycarb and used the template as a guide for where to put the notch. I'm still working on the grip part of the plunger, but it works alright as is. It also eliminates the rotation problem and takes out the potential for breakage that exists with a wooden plunger rod.

Posted Image

I had to estimate for the hole in the catch and the frame, but it worked out ok, I'll do it a little different on the second one I make, not quite sure how yet, but something that will look a little more clean than that.

Posted Image

I also added a screw underneath the trigger in the back to keep it from flopping all over the place, and I changed the trigger screw to a 2" length so that it goes through the entire body of the gun and thus I can skip the screw at the very back of the gun that attaches the frame to the trigger mech.

Posted Image

Cocked

Posted Image

It's a cute little pistol and will probably hold up better than any nitefinder, but I'm really not sure it's worth all the effort and aggravation I went through to get it put together. We'll see.

#2 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:17 PM

Posted Image

Looks good, but one question.
How does the cocking handle not beat the fuck outta your hand?

Unless you have tiny hands, it looks as if it would smash them when you shoot.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#3 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:33 PM

Looks good, but one question.
How does the cocking handle not beat the fuck outta your hand?

Unless you have tiny hands, it looks as if it would smash them when you shoot.

That's why the handle is cut on an angle like that, I had it square originally and it just poked my hand when it shot, as it stands it clears by a good amount.

#4 Natbeanz

Natbeanz

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:57 PM

Wow, thats amazing. I didn't know people where actually going to try to make them. Does the different plunger affect the range at all? As i saw on the last one it was wooden, or somthing.
QUOTE(Groove @ Jan 8 2009, 05:11 PM) View Post

Do me a favor, take a deep breath, and get some of that sand out of your vagina.

WARNING - I'M BRUTALLY SEXY

#5 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:00 PM

Pretty cool! But it looks like your plunger handle would cut up your hands if it was pulled wrong. I have a question, How did you get teh templates and the parts list? I jut tried to download them, but they wouldn't open. it said (name).docx is the X supposed to be there?
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#6 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:30 PM

I like it... It would look better with a different plunger rod though... Whatever works for your first one though. I'm sure you will make many changes along the way.

#7 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:56 PM

How did you get teh templates and the parts list? I jut tried to download them, but they wouldn't open. it said (name).docx is the X supposed to be there?

The X indicates it was saved using the newest, latest, most BLOATED ever version of Microsoft's crap tools. Someone with the new version can open it just fine. The rest of us need for someone like that to open it and then "Save as" the older version. Without the totally useless bloat. None of which could possibly have helped this doc anyway. It's just Microsoft trying to coerce people into paying for more unneeded "upgrades."

I did that, and gave them back to ASON. He was supposed to post them up... I also reformatted the templates to be all on two pages instead of all over the place. I got to the point of prepping all of my pieces, then attempting assembly, only to stop when I couldn't get any of the holes to line up. I'm working on CAD models of everything, so that we can get things more accurate. I will re-drill some holes in order to save the my existing work, though. I know SOMEONE *cough* CaptainSlug *cough*, told me that he already had some of the models done, but wouldn't release them until he'd built his own. He'll probably beat me to it, since I am slow as fuck with CAD.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#8 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:10 PM

That's why the earliest builds are called prototypes.

I don't think that's a good enough excuse for someone having released plans that are inaccurate.

I made new templates after designing a new L+L in CAD, but I wouldn't be completely willing to release them until I knew they were accurate.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 10 November 2008 - 03:12 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#9 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:12 PM

Someone with the new version can open it just fine. The rest of us need for someone like that to open it and then "Save as" the older version. Without the totally useless bloat.

Pain has been minimized somewhat: MS has released a compatability pack for earlier versions of Word that enable opening and editing the newer file format. Free download.

http://office.micros...0444731033.aspx
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#10 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:15 PM

I like it... It would look better with a different plunger rod though... Whatever works for your first one though. I'm sure you will make many changes along the way.

I can't say I understand what you're talking about with the plunger rod. I think it looks great with a 1/4" polycarb plunger.

But to each their own. I think keyrings on the back of plunger rods look stupid, that's just me.

That's why the earliest builds are called prototypes.

I don't think that's a good enough excuse for someone having released plans that are inaccurate.

I made new templates after designing a new L+L in CAD, but I wouldn't be completely willing to release them until I knew they were accurate.

See, that's what I was thinking, I didn't make a prototype, I made a gun from published plans.

That would be great, I'll look forward to that, the existing templates waste a stupid amount of paper.

I'm glad the gun I made actually works though, that's encouraging.

#11 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:21 PM

I meant the jaggedness of it...

#12 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:55 PM

I meant the jaggedness of it...

Ah, yes, well... That's what happens when I am pressed for time. I'll smooth it out later, I was a little quick with the dremel.

#13 Poseidon

Poseidon

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:08 PM

So, about what kinds of ranges are you getting with yours? Addressing your whole "better than a NF" thing, I can't imagine how any NF would get anywhere near the ranges of this thing.
Faith is a living, daring confidence in God's grace, so sure and certain that a man could stake his life on it a thousand times.
-Martin Luther

In Soviet Russia, Mudkipz liek u.

#14 nightfinder

nightfinder

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:12 PM

Wow this is a awesome looking gun

Hopefully ill go buy the balls to make one :o
NerfGrassHopper
R u gay ur sig makes it look so.. just lokin' for anotha gay nerfer...

#15 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:27 PM

Stores sell balls now? Damn, maybe I can get an extra pair to lend to anyone who's on my team at Minnesota Nerf wars. I mean, come on guys. If i do a crazy death charge, back me the fuck up.

Anyway, nice pistols. You did all that work with a dremel? That gives me lots and lots of hope. Amazing stuff, as always Heretic.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#16 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:41 PM

If, you did that with a dremel, thats just sick! What kind of bit did you use?
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#17 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:19 PM

No, no, no.... Look at those cuts. Do they LOOK like they were made with a dremel? I mean, Hereticorp has some skills, but god with a rotary tool, he is not. If you are cutting Polycarbonate, you will find out very quickly that you should be using a real saw. Scroll, jig, table, or band doesn't matter much, but you don't have nearly the control with a dremel for full fabrication.

#18 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:38 PM

So, about what kinds of ranges are you getting with yours? Addressing your whole "better than a NF" thing, I can't imagine how any NF would get anywhere near the ranges of this thing.

I said HOLD UP better than any NF. As in last longer. I assume that someone with a heavily modified NF will get similar ranges.

I'm not 100% done with it, I need a different washer for the front of the plunger, I'll get ranges after I have the thing working to my satisfaction.

#19 nightfinder

nightfinder

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

Stores sell balls now? Damn, maybe I can get an extra pair to lend to anyone who's on my team at Minnesota Nerf wars. I mean, come on guys. If i do a crazy death charge, back me the fuck up.

Anyway, nice pistols. You did all that work with a dremel? That gives me lots and lots of hope. Amazing stuff, as always Heretic.

Who says i buy balls from a store?
NerfGrassHopper
R u gay ur sig makes it look so.. just lokin' for anotha gay nerfer...

#20 rippen11

rippen11

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:52 PM

[/quote]
[/quote]

added that hilarious quote to my signature, while playing with my butthole!

Nightfinder

Why is your cat in your arsenal? Perhaps it shoots LASERS?!?!

Captain Slug

#21 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:41 PM

Well, Im pretty sure Edwardo is still a bit sore for last night. I mean seriously, he asked me to tell you to get an ass. He's balls hurt from pounding that.

Again, amazing work. I may have to make one. That, or a SNAP pistol. Its hard to tell.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#22 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:48 PM

Well, Im pretty sure Edwardo is still a bit sore for last night. I mean seriously, he asked me to tell you to get an ass. He's balls hurt from pounding that.

Again, amazing work. I may have to make one. That, or a SNAP pistol. Its hard to tell.

Grow up, boys. And take it to PM. Your shit has nothing to do with this effort to produce the ultimate sidearm.

#23 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:09 AM

Wow, it feels weird to log on and see a pistol that you designed actually being built by someone else....

I would like to apologize for my inaccurate plans and templates, I have no other excuses besides it is because of laziness on my part. I ask for your patience with the matter as I did not quite understand how software and programs worked up to this point.

-Draconis- Please send me the revised plans again. Although I confirmed receiving them, I cannot locate them at this time.

On the gun:
I like your switch in the plunger rod from wood to polycarbonate. I plan on machining an aluminum piece. To all those wanting to build, please wait until the templates are updated.

Thanks,
A side of nerf
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#24 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:14 AM

This is a great-looking sidearm, and I look forward to its further evolution. I mean, even though it's not strictly necessary ( since the Lock N Load is still very much available), it's just so damn cool. I'd take one of these over a Lock N Load any day.

Edited by rork, 11 November 2008 - 12:14 AM.

<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#25 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:26 AM

This is a great-looking sidearm, and I look forward to its further evolution. I mean, even though it's not strictly necessary ( since the Lock N Load is still very much available), it's just so damn cool. I'd take one of these over a Lock N Load any day.

Yeah, so would I, which is why I was curious enough to build one.

I should be able to refine it some more this coming weekend, get a new plunger head washer and poke a bit more at it so I can figure out ranges.

I have the parts to build one more, so we'll see how it turns out, I just have to cut a couple more pieces of polycarb. I can fit 2 +Bows and 1.5 L+L on 2 sheets of 1/8" and 1 sheet of 1/4", it's nice.

I would like to apologize for my inaccurate plans and templates, I have no other excuses besides it is because of laziness on my part. I ask for your patience with the matter as I did not quite understand how software and programs worked up to this point.

On the gun:
I like your switch in the plunger rod from wood to polycarbonate. I plan on machining an aluminum piece. To all those wanting to build, please wait until the templates are updated.

That's fine, they weren't hard to adapt, it was just annoying to find out that things didn't line up after I drilled the pieces. I was also having fun with improvising parts being as I forgot that I had the entire set of bits in a different McMaster bag from the one I had all the other parts in. I of course found it after I had improvised a bunch of stuff, I left the straight-through trigger screw in because it's more stable that way.

Yeah, I just took slug's advice from your original thread on that one, makes more sense than a wooden dowel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users