Build and Buy your own Legos!

16 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Tubb

Mr Tubb

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:46 AM

Hello NerfHaven.
I found a program a while back on lego.com called 'Lego Digital Designer.' It allows you to build your own custom lego sets, and, if you want, buy them. The only downside is the prices being a bit on the expensive side. This might be usefull for constructing parts for nerf homemades or for modifications, as custom parts could be created.
I made a shell for a blowgun barrel with this program that I intend to purchase (or recieve for Christmas :D .) It features front and back 'iron' sights, a front grip, a handle, and a skull emblem. Below are a few pictures taken with the program... (If they're too big, let me know so I can resize them.)
  • Front View:
Posted Image
  • Back/Underside View:
Posted Image
  • 'Down the Barrel' View:
Posted Image

I will most likely use hot glue to reinforce all the bricks. My plan is to hot glue the blowgun barrel into the shell at each of the four 'loops.' I hope that if any of you use this program that it will be useful or at least convenient.

Edited by Mr. Tubb, 10 November 2008 - 12:47 AM.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side."
-Han Solo; Star Wars: A New Hope (IV)

#2 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:56 AM

I found this program a while back, but never thought to use it for nerf related shit. Good idea.

Edited by TantumBull, 10 November 2008 - 12:57 AM.

#3 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:15 PM

Cool beanz, I've had this program for a while.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#4 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:14 PM

Love this program. I've wasted hours on the thing. Fun as hell for anyone who's into legos.
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#5 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:16 PM

I agree, except I have the 2006 version.

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#6 Mepain

Mepain

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:39 PM

I started a project in LDD a while back, but never finished it.

http://i271.photobuc...pg?t=1226352929

Also, I think K'nex would be a better substitute for LEGO (when making guns), but then you may as well just make the entire gun out of K'nex.

#7 MercenaryXero

MercenaryXero

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:55 PM

I can't stand LDD. It just lacks the pieces and functionality I want. Ldraw is much better for proper building.

#8 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:29 PM

I don't want to crush your dreams or anything, but I think the durability of a lego rig for a nerf gun is highly questionable. Glue might help, but in the end it would probably be better to find something else.

I tried running that program recently, but it always crashed.

Edited by Captain, 10 November 2008 - 05:30 PM.

I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#9 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:50 PM

I started a project in LDD a while back, but never finished it.

http://i271.photobuc...pg?t=1226352929

Also, I think K'nex would be a better substitute for LEGO (when making guns), but then you may as well just make the entire gun out of K'nex.

MEGATRON?!

trans as shit because fuck you

#10 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:34 PM

He could always use super glue. I used it on some LEGO bricks to try it out, never came undone.

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#11 Mepain

Mepain

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:29 PM

MEGATRON?!

Yes, a fully transformable recreation of Animated Megatron from the recent television series. I got really bored.

#12 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:50 PM

MEGATRON?!

Yes, a fully transformable recreation of Animated Megatron from the recent television series. I got really bored.

You, sir, are a great man.
C8H18

#13 MercenaryXero

MercenaryXero

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:05 PM

And because I don't want to necro the "other projects" thread, I'll just leave this here.

#14 Nova

Nova

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:51 PM

And because I don't want to necro the "other projects" thread, I'll just leave this here.

Is that a metal gear? If it is that's really cool. If it isn't, well, it's still cool.

Nova

Edited by Nova, 16 November 2008 - 10:54 AM.

I need a life..

#15 Mr Tubb

Mr Tubb

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:06 AM

Just improved the design by adding a removable shoulder stock... (far left)
Posted Image
And here's a better view down the barrel (just figured out how to free rotate the image while in the program)
Posted Image

Once I actually make this (which will likely be just after xmas), I'll be putting in a 1/2" PVC barrel (spray painted silver.) I'll post the pictures either in this thread or in the mod/pj thread.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side."

#16 MercenaryXero

MercenaryXero

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:26 PM

Is that a metal gear? If it is that's really cool. If it isn't, well, it's still cool.

Nova

Not a metal gear, but definitely inspired by them.

Also, that blowgun-shell thing looks like the single biggest waste of money and legos I've ever seen. And really, a "stock"? Fucking ridiculous. If it doesn't break after a few bumps on your shoulder, I'll be impressed.

#17 Mr Tubb

Mr Tubb

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:57 PM

Also, that blowgun-shell thing looks like the single biggest waste of money and legos I've ever seen. And really, a "stock"? Fucking ridiculous. If it doesn't break after a few bumps on your shoulder, I'll be impressed.

I just wanted a blowgun that looked cleaner then my past blowguns (which were made completely out of PVC.) You can't see it too well from the previous pictures, but I reinforced the stock as shown in the below pictures...
  • The circular pieces (recolored just for this picture) are reinforced by a rod (highlighted in blue) going through them.
Posted Image
2. That same rod also passes through the bottom of the pieces highlighted below...
Posted Image
In addition, all of the bonds between the bricks will be reinforced by glue.
Finally, I may as well show how the stock de/re attaches (note the highlighted pieces)
Posted Image

Edited by Mr. Tubb, 16 November 2008 - 05:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users