Photo

Laptop Recomendation?

59 replies to this topic

#1 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:47 PM

Seeing as there is the other thread about laptops, and seeing as how I don't want to hijack it I thought I would make one. I have been browsing around, mostly newegg, and I have found one that I like but I'm not sure about how great the quality is, and the specs of it.
I'm looking for the following
  • A good graphics card
  • semi ok processor
  • something sturdy a laptop that isn't going to crap out the first month of use
  • and a good deal

I am also looking to do a little casual gaming with it but nothing super-duper great graphics wise.

Here is the laptop, I was wondering if some of my fellow computer geeks/nerds would help me out in deciding.

#2 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:53 PM

I've never owned a pc and don't plan on it. However macs I have owned. Currently I have a macbook and it's getting me along pretty well.

#3 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:04 PM

If you want a good laptop, don't get a Dell, HP, or Compaq. This also includes "Alienware" which is still a Dell, just fancy and over priced, for only looks.

If you're not going to do anything graphics heavy, you shouldn't care about the graphics card.

Also, that Acer that you linked to; way too expensive from what you're looking for. Unless you're going to be doing some die-hard equations and using math based applications (math programing, MATLAB, other programing) you don't need 4GB of ram. At most you'll need 2GB.

Another topic for discussion, are you going to be running a Windows distribution or will you be running Linux? Any Windows distro will be demanding all the recources it can get. Linux uses what it needs and opens the rest up for other uses. That and Linux is free and awesome (2 birds, 1 stone!) Don't get scared by Linux from all the terminal usage. Many Linux distros are just as, if not more user friendly than the expensive cooperate counterparts. I think I hit 3 birds with 1 stone there

Basically, if you let us/me know what you plan on using the computer for, then we can help you more than what you want in the machine.
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#4 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:05 PM

Posted Image
Don't get a mac.

I did the hp design your own computer or whatever it is and have been fairly happy with the result.
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#5 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:11 PM

Yeah, with Mac's it's in with the new and, "What old?"

I say don't get a Mac, they're just out there for eye candy, not computing.
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!

#6 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:12 PM

Ok, what I would like to do with it game wise: Command and Conquer(pretty much any of them)...that's about the extent of my gaming needs. I have quite a bit of music and probably a few movies I will be watching. I would like to stay above the curve though, meaning I would like to be up to par in a few years instead of out dated and somewhat useless. Hope that helps.

#7 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:17 PM

What's most important is what your budget is. That's going to determine how much you can get. Without solid numbers, you can't have solid answers.
Teehee.

#8 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:18 PM

Yeah, with Mac's it's in with the new and, "What old?"

I say don't get a Mac, they're just out there for eye candy, not computing.

I know quite a few people that beg to differ... None of which are on this forum though. Sure a lot of things are good about pcs but with macs you can also have a program that allows you to go between pc and mac with remote desktops.

#9 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:19 PM

Ok so budget: I am willing to go no more than $900, I know not much, but it's a lot for a guy with more or less no job.

#10 Eclipse

Eclipse

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:22 PM

I would say either a Macbook, a Dell Inspiron series or an Alienware Area-51. My personal choice would be a Mac, but I understand that that might not be what's best for your needs. The Dells are cheap and work well, as long as you don't get a Celeron processor (I've seen those catch fire). Since you said you wanted something for a casual gamer, the Alienware might be too high-end, but if you really want to be frugal, buy one. Again, this is all from my personal experience. Hope that helped.

#11 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:25 PM

Would you be doing any other kind of work?

Also, from what information you've given me; It seems that you shouldn't go for a nVidia 9600 I would say something just below it. I have an 8600 in my desktop at school and it's great and still chugging away with no problems.

About going out of date, if you buy a mid range (computing power) machine now, it will still be fully function able and not out of date until maybe 10 years from now. It all depends on what operating system you are going to use, and if you're going to upgrade from the original one.
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!

#12 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:31 PM

What kind of work are you referring to?

#13 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:31 PM

I know quite a few people that beg to differ... None of which are on this forum though. Sure a lot of things are good about pcs but with macs you can also have a program that allows you to go between pc and mac with remote desktops.

Yes, it's called separate partitions on the hard drive. On my computer I run XP and Ubuntu, that program that allows you to switch is called GRUB. It's a little different for non-Linux partitioned machines tho. Either that or you're thinking about running a virtual machine. I can do that in Linux too, better than the other OS's.

edit> I was referring to what other work you would be doing on the computer, other than your mild gaming. Word processing, web development, programming, etc.

Edited by aetherguy881, 07 November 2008 - 10:33 PM.

NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!

#14 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:54 PM

Oh, just working on our churches website on siteexpress and maybe some photoshop and indesign...maybe a little dreamweaver. And just standard word processing and powerpoint stuff. I would also like to, as I said before, have a lot media on it.

#15 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:59 PM

Music media is different than graphic media.

I still stand by the mid-range machine, it should suffice for all your needs without getting bogged down too much.

As per hardware, I would recommend an AMD processor. They're more efficient and are faster in the long run. Especially since you shouldn't multi-task too much on a laptop as they love to overheat. Intels have a higher frequency, yes that means they may be doing more work, but they heat up a helluva lot more than the AMD's.
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!

#16 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:07 PM

How does this one look?

#17 Eclipse

Eclipse

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:22 PM

I agree; AMD is faster and more efficient. Knowing that, I would personally try one of these or any Alienware laptop. I guess this takes Macs out of the question, but if you don't want to follow the AMD advice, you can still by one.

Edit: I just remembered the XPS line.

Edited by Eclipse, 07 November 2008 - 11:25 PM.

#18 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:27 PM

How does this one look?

That machine looks comparable and seems that it should do what you want it to do. Let us know how you like it after you've played around with it.

It never hurts to get a usb mouse! I've never been one for the touch pads...
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!

#19 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:32 PM

Actually I found a little better one (dedicated graphics card) and I will look into to it as well.

Linky

But it all depends on how much money I can come up with these next couple months.

#20 Eclipse

Eclipse

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:39 PM

My advice right now would be to find the one that fits you best and buy it. This will eliminate continuous searching and might get you something that you like. Again, I will suggest either a Dell, or a Macbook. Hope this helps.

#21 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:39 PM

I would definitely go with the second one, the one with the x64 processor. Right now there's some compatibility issues with x64 (like C&C (only on the 64x OS's)) and a few other applications. However x64 is better than the currently more common x32's. The x32's will be phased out within a few years.

x64 and x32 mean 64 bit and 32 bit, just for a reference there.
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!

#22 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:43 PM

Ok then whats the point in having a 64bit core if you're not using 64 bit os?

#23 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:11 AM

About going out of date, if you buy a mid range (computing power) machine now, it will still be fully function able and not out of date until maybe 10 years from now.

Are you serious? 10 years ago a mid range PC would've been a single core processor with maybe one gig of ram and a graphics card incapable of running more than 80% of the games released in the past four years. Such a machine couldn't even run Office 2007 ( maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point ).

I agree; AMD is faster and more efficient. Knowing that, I would personally try one of these or any Alienware laptop. I guess this takes Macs out of the question, but if you don't want to follow the AMD advice, you can still by one.

Edit: I just remembered the XPS line.

Did you read anything bog posted? Pretty much all of the laptops you linked to are out of his price range.

As for a recommendation of my own, I'd suggest you look at something like this from CyberPower. I've had two CyberPower laptops and overall they've held up longer than my mom's Dells. However, the current one I have runs very hot ( it actually burned my arm when I fell asleep while using it once ) and the hardware wasn't very accommodating to an XP reformat. I will be purchasing my next laptop through them, in any case.

Also, regarding your question about 64 bit processors and operating systems: I'm not all that familiar with such things, but I highly doubt you'll be able to get anything but a 64 bit processor.

Edited by Rambo, 08 November 2008 - 01:12 AM.

#24 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:27 AM

Rambo thank you for your recommendations, that just gives me something else to compare to...thanks a lot :P. But also thank you for the point you made about the older pc's, and I agree with you on the age of the pc. And thank you for the answer to my question.

#25 nerfer9

nerfer9

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:18 AM

Get one of those XPS ones. My dad has one and it never is slow. I am talking click and you're there. Quick as hell (assuming hell works very fast). Downloads are like *snaps fingers* that. Great graphics card. Only problem is that it takes goddamn forever to charge. Plus its customizable.

Edited by nerfer9, 08 November 2008 - 02:21 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users