Photo

Mav Barrel Replacement?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Firefox551

Firefox551

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:08 PM

I was just wondering if anyone has tried brassing or CPVCing a Maverick. My anual birthday nerf war is comming up so I'm going to be doing much modding in the next fiew weeks. If there isn't already a writeup, I'm planning on just dremmeling out the exising barrels and sliding in some brass. If there is any problem with that I would appreciate a warning before I try this.
"Whats algebra? I like pudding." - My friend Luke

"We have to remember what we all have in common, and why we are here. Our shared love of shooting things, and each other with little foam darts." - Niaja Blue

#2 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/LukeKoboJobo on Reddit

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:19 PM

I believe there's a write up over at NHQ for CPVCing, however that ones method ruined one of my turrets. I suggest just cutting off the thinner part of the old barrels, the part that has an OD similar to that of CPVC (.625"). Then goop down CPVC onto the drilled out AR's (Where the old barrels used to be pressed against to make a seal). Screw the turret back together before the goop dries so that the remaining pieces of the stock barrel, which are located near the face of the turret, straigten the CPVC. However only CPVC the turret if your darts aren't too tight in CPVC. The mav doesn't have enough power to push the darts out if it is too tight a fit.

#3 bamblack2000

bamblack2000

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:21 PM

I like this button

#4 Firefox551

Firefox551

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:43 PM

I like this button

I did search and I didn't find anything on it.

I believe there's a write up over at NHQ for CPVCing, however that ones method ruined one of my turrets. I suggest just cutting off the thinner part of the old barrels, the part that has an OD similar to that of CPVC (.625"). Then goop down CPVC onto the drilled out AR's (Where the old barrels used to be pressed against to make a seal). Screw the turret back together before the goop dries so that the remaining pieces of the stock barrel, which are located near the face of the turret, straigten the CPVC. However only CPVC the turret if your darts aren't too tight in CPVC. The mav doesn't have enough power to push the darts out if it is too tight a fit.

I think my darts would fit much to tightly in CPVC. I didn't think about that when I posted, sorry. I think I may try my idea of brass in the orginal barrel. What are your thoughts on how well that would work? Right now my Mavs shoot like crap with stephans so I really need an improvement for them (I have like 5 :().

Edited by Firefox551, 04 November 2008 - 10:45 PM.

"We have to remember what we all have in common, and why we are here. Our shared love of shooting things, and each other with little foam darts." - Niaja Blue

#5 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,071 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:44 PM

I like this button

I honestly can't find any barrel replacement writeups for the Maverick on this site - what search terms are you using?

I tried CPVCing my Maverick, but ended up ruining the gun - I'm curious to hear what experiences people have had with other barrel materials.

#6 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/LukeKoboJobo on Reddit

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:54 PM

I like this button

I did search and I didn't find anything on it.

I think my darts would fit much to tightly in CPVC. I didn't think about that when I posted, sorry. I think I may try my idea of brass in the orginal barrel. What are your thoughts on how well that would work? Right now my Mavs shoot like crap with stephans so I really need an improvement for them (I have like 5 :( ).

I think that the only brass you can fit in the stock barrel is 1/2", and if your darts are tight in CPVC, 1/2" brass isn't going to work out.

#7 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:54 PM

I CPVCed one and it worked well, but I got new darts and they were too tight. I PETGed one also, and that turned out very nicely. It also still works with stock darts.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#8 123caviler

123caviler

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:12 PM

Freewebs, not everything is on NerfHaven. Just a lot...
QUOTE(One Man Clan @ Mar 15 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

O YEAH!
Mr.Kool_Aid,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended. blah blah blah

OMC is fucking god.

#9 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:42 PM

For a Maverick Barrel replacement, PETG would be the way to go. But, why a maverick? The Maverick is a bitch to mod, and it really only adds maybe ten or fifteen feet to the ranges after modding it.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#10 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:25 PM

Just wait...

I'm trying to get a 9/16th in. drill biut which will open the barrles wide enough to fit PETG or brass down pretty easily. Although the drill bit itself is a bit expensive, it's the only way I know of to have a functioning maverick with barrel replacements. I should have some pictures up soon of the end product

#11 Firefox551

Firefox551

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:16 PM

For a Maverick Barrel replacement, PETG would be the way to go. But, why a maverick? The Maverick is a bitch to mod, and it really only adds maybe ten or fifteen feet to the ranges after modding it.

Because I have like 5 from before I started modding, and I don't think anyone is all that keen on buying one from me.

#12 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts
  • State:Ohio

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:33 PM

The modification directory.

Use your brains or let the zombies eat them please.

NEXT.
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#13 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:08 AM

If your darts are too tight for CPVC you could always:
1.) Stretch them
2.) Leave 'em in the CPVC for a few hours and they'll eventually fit fine

It's not like, "OMG my darts don't fit CPVC...IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD, WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE"
Think please...
I like badgers signature, something about how common sense isn't common...?
EDIT: Oh yeah, you could always use Crayola's...which is kinda pointless...

Edited by Watari, 08 November 2008 - 11:09 AM.

#14 Llama Boy

Llama Boy

• Banned
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:02 PM

The modification directory.

Use your brains or let the zombies eat them please.

But theres nothing on changing barrels in the mod directory. :P
Truce.

#15 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:36 PM

I like this button

Actually I like this button better

#16 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:00 PM

it just recirculates after a while so it's never ending...

#17 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

Yes, the Mods Directory does link to a writeup in which there is a CPVC barrel replacement. But since there is such incompetence to click a few times and maybe spend a precious three minutes of your life searching for it I will do you a favor and give you the direct link: http://www.nerfhq.co...hp?topic=3494.0

Next time, happy searching.

Edited by Blasphemy, 08 November 2008 - 08:20 PM.

When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users