Photo

Inline Clips...

17 replies to this topic

#1 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:19 PM

I've searched but most of the topics I don't understand or the pictures don't work in. Can someone explain this to me as I find multiple shots without a breech as quite a nice feature.

#2 boom

boom

• Banned
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

I don't quit get what your talking about.:ph34r:

Edited by boom, 03 November 2008 - 09:34 PM.

I'm just the scitzophrenic clusterfuck of randomness that is me.

#3 flashflint

flashflint

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:40 PM

Do this
http://whitedoghobbi...nterest_15.html
it is beyond awesome. Best mod I have ever done, Pineapple is a visionary.

#4 bobafett109

bobafett109

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:43 PM

I think he's saying he doesn't understand how inline clips work. Most of the topics he looked in the pics have been broken/removed. He finds being able to fire multiple shots without a breech quite a nice feature.

Simply put: How do inline clips work?
QUOTE(Carbon @ Feb 17 2008, 10:17 PM) View Post

QUOTE(FoamSniper @ Feb 18 2008, 12:08 AM) View Post

You're probably all wondering how to get a range of 95' from a mech 20

I was figuring you threw it.

#5 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:50 PM

Picture it as a telescoping barrel, except in reverse: instead of going from a really-tight fit to a somewhat-loose fit, you are going from a really-loose fit to a proper fit.

Let's say you want your barrel material to be CPVC, because it fits your darts "just perfect" The thing to do would be to nest that into some 1/2" PVC, or even some 1/2" thinwall PVC; either way, there is going to be plenty of room between the dart and the PVC.

Make sure, when nesting, that you only put the CPVC a few inches into the PVC. Leave several inches of PVC "un-nested" like so:

(where ___ is PVC, ... is nothing, and --- is CPVC)

To load, you put several stefans into the PVC (where the ... are, above). Before firing, you prime your weapon (pump or cock), then shake the barrel down in order to have one dart be pushed slightly into the CPVC.

Even though the dart isn't pushed all the way into the CPVC, it's enough to create a fairly good seal.

When you pull the trigger, the compressed air moves past the darts in the "clip area" (where ... are) and pushes the front-most dart (the one creating a seal) through and out the CPVC barrel.

Before firing again, you'll need to shake the barrel down again in order to make the next dart create a seal.

Then lather, rinse, and continue to repeat.

The upside is that the whole thing is fairly reliable; there's no breech to jam. The downside is that the clip creates deadspace...which decreases range (though not necessarily a ton). That's why people mostly use them on fairly high-powered blasters, like AT2ks or the SNAP series. When you put an inline clip on those, you get a moderately-ranged, high-ROF blaster when compared to their "singled" forms.

Edited by jwasko, 03 November 2008 - 09:54 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#6 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:52 PM

I'm pretty sure this is what you're referring to, and what do ya know, its right in the mods section:
http://nerfhaven.com/mods/ss_rscb/

#7 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:01 PM

Here is a diagram of a inline clip: (Taken from here)

Posted Image

You see, the clip material is made out of pipes that are actually bigger than your darts, but the barrel material is still the normal barrel material. So in order to get a dart seated properly, you have to 'rock' your gun forward + down and then you're ready to fire. When you fire the air goes through the elbow and since the end of the clip is blocked, the compressed air goes the easyist way out, which is out the barrel, along with your dart.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#8 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:35 PM

Thanks flashflint and everyone else. Piney's page also gave a link to the one in the mods section (which I did not know was in there). Now to open an at2k up.

#9 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:39 PM

That's a RSCB clip, which is the same thing Pineapple used on his AT2K; they're fiendishly great. Inlines are basically the same setup, but the air enters the system from the rear of the clip, pushing all the darts forward, rather than pushing the non-firing darts backward. Carbon's designs tend to use inlines to great effect. Study a few of his writeups, and make sure to read more than just the first page (good stuff tends to pop up throughout).
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#10 TimmyTown

TimmyTown

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:15 PM

I still am really having a hard time understanding how it works. Maybe I just suck at reading diagrams or something. I understand the construction and it's fairly simple, I am having a really hard time grasping how this moves and fires a dart though.

Especially where the air comes into the system? After rereading jwaskos post a few times I think it makes sense, if the air was coming in from the back of the system but it doesn't look like that is the case. I am so lost.

Edited by TimmyTown, 03 November 2008 - 11:22 PM.

QUOTE(rork @ Mar 16 2009, 05:30 PM) View Post

I, too "have recon," as they say. I get him in old country. Then I realize he sucks like bog. So I trade him for potato.

#11 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:56 PM

I still am really having a hard time understanding how it works. Maybe I just suck at reading diagrams or something. I understand the construction and it's fairly simple, I am having a really hard time grasping how this moves and fires a dart though.

Especially where the air comes into the system? After rereading jwaskos post a few times I think it makes sense, if the air was coming in from the back of the system but it doesn't look like that is the case. I am so lost.

The first thing to remember when figuring out how these work is that the blaster is creating pressure which is seeking to equalize with the outside air. This will help you to understand the air motion in the inline.

In the case of the RSCB clip (developed by ShortShit), air enters the system right behind the barrel. Since the piping going backwards is looser than than the darts and ends in a cap, the system is closed, air flows around the darts, and pressure equalizes, pressing outward in all directions. This equal outward pressure is also pressing against the base of the dart in the barrel, pressing it forward, and causing it to fire.

With an inline clip, the only difference is the point of entry for the air. Air enters from the rear, and flows around the darts, equaizing pressure, to ultimately press against the base of the dart already seated in the barrel.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#12 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:50 PM

Just want to clear the air about the RSCB.

The proper credit goes to Rawray7, ShortShit, CynicalSynapses, and 3DBBQ, whose collective ideas were put into one practical unit.

Hence, the "Raw-Shit-Cynic-BBQ" clip, or RSCB as Carbon aptly puts it.

And if you can get over the unconventional look of it, it works wonderfully.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#13 TimmyTown

TimmyTown

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:00 PM

The first thing to remember when figuring out how these work is that the blaster is creating pressure which is seeking to equalize with the outside air. This will help you to understand the air motion in the inline.

In the case of the RSCB clip (developed by ShortShit), air enters the system right behind the barrel. Since the piping going backwards is looser than than the darts and ends in a cap, the system is closed, air flows around the darts, and pressure equalizes, pressing outward in all directions. This equal outward pressure is also pressing against the base of the dart in the barrel, pressing it forward, and causing it to fire.

With an inline clip, the only difference is the point of entry for the air. Air enters from the rear, and flows around the darts, equaizing pressure, to ultimately press against the base of the dart already seated in the barrel.

Ok. I now get it. I may just have to try this. Is the ball valve completely necessary for the inline? NOT the RSCB but the inline clip. I am assuming its not by your description and I now understand.

I, too "have recon," as they say. I get him in old country. Then I realize he sucks like bog. So I trade him for potato.

#14 perezinthenet

perezinthenet

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:48 PM

Won't the dart just fall right through the PETG?

#15 TimmyTown

TimmyTown

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:07 PM

Ok, so. I made a clip today. 1/2 PVC clip area leading out into a CPVC barrel. The first shot I fire works wonders but after that on the second shot all of the darts shoot out shotgun style.

Anyone know how I can prevent this?

#16 perezinthenet

perezinthenet

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:23 PM

Is this how it should be?
-----------------))((_________
-----------------))((_________
---PVC------------T---PETG

This is for a RSCB

Edited by perezinthenet, 06 November 2008 - 06:12 AM.

#17 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:03 PM

Ok, so. I made a clip today. 1/2 PVC clip area leading out into a CPVC barrel. The first shot I fire works wonders but after that on the second shot all of the darts shoot out shotgun style.

Read here. http://nerfhaven.com...t=0#entry121362

I've spent a lot of time on these inline clips and if yo can perfect them, they are great. I use them on all of my singled guns now.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#18 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:54 PM

Part of it is just the nature of the beast...you'll get double fires occasionally with this system. If it's happening every time, though, maybe try looser pipe for your clip area, for better airflow around your darts. It also can't hurt to tip your gun backwards after seating the lead dart in the barrel.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users