KB Toys Files Chapter 11

10 replies to this topic

#1 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 12:47 PM

Link

The restructuring will include closing up to 500 of their 1300 stores.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#2 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 01:45 PM

How dare those bastards at Wal-Mart carry a larger selection of toys at a cheaper price!! Frankly, I'm surprised that K-B has stayed in the game this long. I mean, I love browsing there but how often does anyone actually BUY something there? I mean shit, they're still fully stocked with Ronin Warrior and Exo-Squad knock offs.
~Famine
of Mag-7
East Coast Nerf 2005: Step It Up.
East Coast Nerf 2006: That's more like it.
East Coast Nerf 2007: I'm not driving to Massachusetts again.
East Coast Nerf 2008: Day of Regret.
East Coast Nerf 2009: Quid pro quo, douchebags!

#3 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 01:56 PM

Link

The restructuring will include closing up to 500 of their 1300 stores.

Yeah, I heard that on the news last night.
Nerfer16 of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team
Nerf on!

#4 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 02:08 PM

Personally, I'm more concerned about their Toy Liquidators outlet stores. I've had pretty good luck finding year-old guns heavily discounted there. Last year I got ~12 SFs there for (if memory serves) $4 each and a couple PCs for $10 each.

Of course, with TRU blowing guns like the Max Shot out for $5 (ended up with 22 of those), I can't complain too much.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#5 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 05:10 PM

Bah serves them right. When ever I go into a KB in a Mall looking for guns I've never found anything good. The only success I've had was at one of their toy liquidation stores like cxwq, and that was last easter. Obviously they aren't doing enough market research or advertising. The fundamental problem with toy stores is that over all they do not have a big enough share of the market to bargin with the power of convienience stores like Wal-Mart, Target and the like. Besides when was the last time you saw a KB toys commercial? I haven't seen one that I can remember in a very long time. People forget you exist if you don't pimp yourself constantly. Case in point: Wal-Mart, I see advertisments all the freaking time. TRU, I see add often enough to know they offer good deals on toys. KB, not so much, not even during the holidays which is when they should be all over the TV screen. IF they want to get buisness, when stores like Wal-Mart drop their prices so should KB in responce. Attention to detail. I went to look at toys in a KB and Wal-Marts a week after Christmass. I looked at the regular prices Wal-Mart was offering, not the clearance isle, but the regular section. When I went to KB I saw they were offering 25% off everything in the store. Wanna know something? Their regular pricese were such that, with the 25% discount, the cost to buy the same toy I saw at Wal-Marts regualr price was just about the same. Which means they had to mark up the prices before they put them on sale. No wonder their sales sucked, like I said before, serves them right.

Edit: I know Wal-Mart gets a better price wholesale for the toys they sell, (It's an evil corperation if I ever saw one. I'm pretty sure Sam Walton made deal with satan to allow him to sell to us consumers at prices lower than anyone else.) because they have greater bargining power but I still think KB should try to keep competitive prices if they want to attract buisness.

Edited by J_cobbers, 15 January 2004 - 05:13 PM.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#6 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 06:07 PM

Damn C, you beat me to the punch.

Anyway, this majorley sucks. KB toys is a gold mine for old guns, I personally was majorley pissed about this.

One thing that may come out of this is that they may dig threw their backstock and find some guns under the dust.

Edited by ItalionStallion, 15 January 2004 - 06:07 PM.

#7 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 07:08 PM

The Philidelphia branch of KB that respectfully runs the Delaware stores and any others within driving distance of me where nice enough to drop nerf from their carrying list about a year ago. To be honest, it doesn't effect me in the slightest. Yet I can see where others may be effected if thats all they have within a twenty miles radius. I will continue to use TRU seeing as thats the only company within comfortable driving distances that sell nerf anymore. Sorry to those that use KB as their nerf haven away from nerf haven. We're screwed if Walmart goes out.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#8 Lemmypoo

Lemmypoo

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 07:15 PM

Bah serves them right. When ever I go into a KB in a Mall looking for guns I've never found anything good. The only success I've had was at one of their toy liquidation stores like cxwq, and that was last easter. Obviously they aren't doing enough market research or advertising. The fundamental problem with toy stores is that over all they do not have a big enough share of the market to bargin with the power of convienience stores like Wal-Mart, Target and the like. Besides when was the last time you saw a KB toys commercial? I haven't seen one that I can remember in a very long time. People forget you exist if you don't pimp yourself constantly. Case in point: Wal-Mart, I see advertisments all the freaking time. TRU, I see add often enough to know they offer good deals on toys. KB, not so much, not even during the holidays which is when they should be all over the TV screen. IF they want to get buisness, when stores like Wal-Mart drop their prices so should KB in responce. Attention to detail. I went to look at toys in a KB and Wal-Marts a week after Christmass. I looked at the regular prices Wal-Mart was offering, not the clearance isle, but the regular section. When I went to KB I saw they were offering 25% off everything in the store. Wanna know something? Their regular pricese were such that, with the 25% discount, the cost to buy the same toy I saw at Wal-Marts regualr price was just about the same. Which means they had to mark up the prices before they put them on sale. No wonder their sales sucked, like I said before, serves them right.

Edit: I know Wal-Mart gets a better price wholesale for the toys they sell, (It's an evil corperation if I ever saw one. I'm pretty sure Sam Walton made deal with satan to allow him to sell to us consumers at prices lower than anyone else.) because they have greater bargining power but I still think KB should try to keep competitive prices if they want to attract buisness.

Awwwww...

A friend of mine works at KB Toys, hope they don't close his store ;)
Conner MacManus: Jesus! He brought a six-shooter!

Murphy MacManus: There were nine of them, you retard! What were you going to do with the last three, laugh them to death? Funny man?

-brothers Macmanus, Boondock Saints

#9 MissouriKid

MissouriKid

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 02:20 PM

I don't care if they close any of the KB Toys near me, none of them have ever carried nerf guns, atleast I have never seen any when I've been there.

#10 leftnut

leftnut

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 10:52 AM

The one near me only carries the AT1K.
"You are obviously a megalomaniacal insecure little boy stroking your faltering ego with your own hairy palm in order to prove your suedo-alpha male status..."
-BadAssReptileFarmer to Talio

#11 Seth

Seth

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 07:10 PM

How dare those bastards at Wal-Mart carry a larger selection of toys at a cheaper price!!  Frankly, I'm surprised that K-B has stayed in the game this long.  I mean, I love browsing there but how often does anyone actually BUY something there?  I mean shit, they're still fully stocked with Ronin Warrior and Exo-Squad knock offs.

Thats because my dear freind those are still in production, retart. Yes KB will be closing some doors but are getting loans from other companies to keep their over-head up and plan to rebound back after some stores are closed. To be honest i find it kinda funny when they file for bankrupcy when they just opend a new store by my own. My store the one i work at sells that stuff pretty quickly. The nerf gun we carry clear out quick as do the dub city models and alot of lotr crap. So to be honest with U i think they are full of shit my store does pretty damn well we are most of the time up above our quota. So o well good luck hope none close by you guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users