Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Oregon
  • u/Parabolictoys on Reddit

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:17 PM

Okay, so I had an extra Nightfinder that I modified, and decided to sell on Ebay. Just trying to recoup a little cash for another McMaster order, without dipping in to the dwindling Christmas present fund. The problem is, I didn't get any bids. So what did I do wrong? Am I asking to much? Did I list it incorrectly? Is it just ugly? What's the deal?

Ebay Auction
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#2 TimmyTown

TimmyTown

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:23 PM

I think that you made it sound really menacing and unsafe. For the most part people buying modified NFs are not modders, seeing as how most modders already have or could make a well modified NF. The part about how it shoots HARD I think you should change to far. I also think you need to make the laser part less intense.

Say something like: I replaced the standard LED pointer light with a laser pointer that is triggered by pressing down the trigger about halfway, just like the original light! However, because this is now a (class A yatta yatta) laser pointer it should not be pointed in the eyes of anything. (provide a link to a wikipedia article or whatever that has more information about this laser pointer. That way it comes off as both intellectual and advisory.)

Hope I helped.
QUOTE(rork @ Mar 16 2009, 05:30 PM) View Post

I, too "have recon," as they say. I get him in old country. Then I realize he sucks like bog. So I trade him for potato.

#3 shoeshine5

shoeshine5

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:29 PM

I've done a substantial amount of nerf sales on ebay. Here would be my gripes with bidding on this:

1. Price - With shipping this would start at around $20 for me. Shipping either needs to be lower or the starting bid needs to be lower.

2. The modification - I appreciate that you posted seemingly honest ranges, but they are on the low side. Nothing you did was particularly difficult or expensive.

3. The paint job. The pictures aren't very good at showcasing the paint job. Although I like the paint scheme, again this is nothing special that I couldn't easily do myself.

4. The laser light. To me this isn't really a selling point. My night finder will never be accurate enough to warrant using this. Coolness factor doesn't equal performance.

Edit: I agree with TimmyTown above. I've found a good chunk of people who buy pre-modded nerf guns are younger children, who need their parents as a proxy bidder. If I was a parent, I certainly wouldn't want my kid playing around with that. The description of what you wrote may make sense to a member of the NIC, but not to an outsider.

Edited by shoeshine5, 28 October 2008 - 09:32 PM.

While you are busy reading this, I am eating your sandwich.

#4 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/LukeKoboJobo on Reddit

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:32 PM

I don't have much experience with Ebay, but looking from a parents perspective (I'm not a parent, this is just hypothetical), I definitely wouldn't want my 8 year old son messing around with something that could ruin his vision. Just a thought...

Otherwise, nice paintjob!

Edit: If I were you I would take out the laser entirely. It seems a little dangerous for a product when the buyers are most likely kids who are too young to mod.

Edited by TantumBull, 28 October 2008 - 10:30 PM.

#5 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:38 PM

I think the paintjob could have another colored added.. but I've seen worse looking blasters sold.

I think there just wasn't somebody looking for a nightfinder like that while it was up. Definetly put it up a second time with changes.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#6 Mod Man

Mod Man

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:56 PM

Hey Draconis, Here are a couple ideas I think might help you, take it for whats it's worth..........
Lower your BIN price and your starting price.
Your photo doesn't do much to highlight your paint job.
Lasers above a class 1 shouldn't be pointed at people period.
You have padded the shipping fee a bit (people compare shipping).
If you are going to sell on e-bay on a regular basis be prepared to take your lumps. I've sold a gun for $1.50 before, it hurts. Live and learn and give good customer service and you should do alright. If there is anyway I can help out let me know. There is plenty of room for us all.....Good Luck, Mod

#7 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:16 PM

I love how it looks. I would buy it, though the buy it now price seems sort of high.

I also agree with the others who said that you made it sound kind of dangerous. You might want to make it sound more fun, and less like "don't point this at people's eyes, it has a laser and it shoots really hard."

Edited by Captain, 28 October 2008 - 10:18 PM.

I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#8 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:50 PM

I think that you made it sound really menacing and unsafe. For the most part people buying modified NFs are not modders, seeing as how most modders already have or could make a well modified NF. The part about how it shoots HARD I think you should change to far. I also think you need to make the laser part less intense.

Say something like: I replaced the standard LED pointer light with a laser pointer that is triggered by pressing down the trigger about halfway, just like the original light! However, because this is now a (class A yatta yatta) laser pointer it should not be pointed in the eyes of anything. (provide a link to a wikipedia article or whatever that has more information about this laser pointer. That way it comes off as both intellectual and advisory.)

Hope I helped.

Yes, this was certainly targeted toward those with no skills, or for a kid's gift. Thanks for the recommendation about touting distance rather than strength.

1. Price - With shipping this would start at around $20 for me. Shipping either needs to be lower or the starting bid needs to be lower.

Eh? That's not really the way that USPS works. Priority Mail is the same price anywhere in the contiguous US. And it's like $6. Also, when local stores sell Nightfinders for $8.99, I figured a dollar more to start was reasonable.

2. The modification - I appreciate that you posted seemingly honest ranges, but they are on the low side. Nothing you did was particularly difficult or expensive.

I suppose not. But the work is already done, right? There is time involved, and supplies, even if they aren't very much.

3. The paint job. The pictures aren't very good at showcasing the paint job. Although I like the paint scheme, again this is nothing special that I couldn't easily do myself.

That's great. You have skills. Many people, and most kids, don't.

4. The laser light. To me this isn't really a selling point. My night finder will never be accurate enough to warrant using this. Coolness factor doesn't equal performance.

Perhaps not. But my gripe with the existing LED is mostly short range. So I got rid of that limitation.

Edit: I agree with TimmyTown above. I've found a good chunk of people who buy pre-modded nerf guns are younger children, who need their parents as a proxy bidder. If I was a parent, I certainly wouldn't want my kid playing around with that. The description of what you wrote may make sense to a member of the NIC, but not to an outsider.

I will take that under advisement.

I don't have much experience with Ebay, but looking from a parents perspective, I definitely wouldn't want my 8 year old son messing around with something that could ruin his vision. Just a thought...

Otherwise, nice paintjob!

Thanks! I suppose I can understand that, but it is a red laser, and I would let me seven year old play with it. He's pretty fricken smart, though.

I think the paintjob could have another colored added.. but I've seen worse looking blasters sold.

I wanted it to be simple, but striking.

I think there just wasn't somebody looking for a nightfinder like that while it was up. Definetly put it up a second time with changes.

I had planned on it. Thanks for some pointers, guys!

#9 shoeshine5

shoeshine5

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:08 PM

A one pound package sent via USPS is 4.80 from Oregon to NJ. A nite finder will most likely fall into this category, depending on how heavy the laser is.

Despite contrary belief, it is not a flat rate for anything more than a pound. It goes by zones. If it was between two and three pounds it would be closer to $10. If you don't believe me, check out USPS.com

Anyway, best of luck with your auction.
While you are busy reading this, I am eating your sandwich.

#10 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:13 PM

Another thing, You're barrel looks strange to me, When I saw the Gallery Photo I didn't click on it because I thought it was some sort of weird combination of 2 orange stock barrels. I like the Paint job a lot, But you should also paint the laser housing white too.

#11 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:38 PM

Another thing, You're barrel looks strange to me, When I saw the Gallery Photo I didn't click on it because I thought it was some sort of weird combination of 2 orange stock barrels. I like the Paint job a lot, But you should also paint the laser housing white too.

But the barrel has a substantially larger outside diameter than stock barrels. It's 1/2" SCH 80 PVC. And the housing IS white. I'm not sure why it looks different.

#12 autonerf

autonerf

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • State:Missouri

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:32 AM

Yeah, I saw that gun for sale. People want lots of pictures, so sign up on auctiva to avoid the ebay fees. Only one side of the gun is shown, it is good to show both sides. The first thing I saw were all the orange parts. That's cool if it's the style you like, but the best selling guns have all the parts painted.

The description is detailed, but most parents will have a hard time getting it. I would write it on a simpler level and give them a short overview of the mods, but focus more on what the gun can do.

If you can, embed a video of it firing and that will get you results.

#13 UpperHand

UpperHand

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:52 PM

I saw that gun as well, and I really liked the paintjob. Its a nice change from the usual, "I wanna be badass and paint my guns forest camo so I blend in, BITCH!" I'd also lower the buy it now price, 30 bucks is a little pricey. If not, just throw it up on ebay again and it'll probably get sold. Nice work.
My SCR-6
My Homemade Sidearm
The least you could do is tell me some advice. geese!

-- Headshot 21

#14 Guest_fadinglight4_*

Guest_fadinglight4_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

I think it is a very nice NF but the price is pretty high. I would lower it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users