The Hereticorp Assault Rifle Mk. 2

New and Improved

20 replies to this topic

#1 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:35 PM

Continuing along in the vein of The HeretiCorp Assault Rifle Mk. 1 I decided to make an improved version, with more versitility and more style.

For the next iteration of my longshot, I decided to place an AT2K with a coupler under the main barrel, integrate the pump under the accessory rail, add a trigger-activated laser sight and make double-clips.

This is the result:

Posted Image

And this is how I got there:

The Laser Sight:

Posted Image

I took a laser pointer/USB drive combo and adjusted it slightly so that I could add the pressure switch from a firefly inline with the pointer's power supply, I then slid the nicely shaped pointer into the area above the top air vents of the gun.

Posted Image

I had to dremel out the front a little bit to make sure the beam could pass cleanly out of the gun.

Posted Image

All lit up.

Posted Image

I soldered on some wire extensions to the pressure switch and ran it back to where the trigger slides into the catch.

Posted Image

Make sure to run the wires underneath the guide plate for the clip or bad things will happen.

Posted Image

There's a lot of dead space in the back of a longshot, so I could just hot-glue the switch in place against one of the shell pieces.

Posted Image

You can see here how the switch lines up with the trigger, not quite fully depressed, but enough so that a small movement of the trigger will switch on the laser.

Posted Image

Be careful with these switches, that metal is very thin and fragile.

Posted Image

I then took a stripped down AT2K tank and added some new tubing to eliminate the stupid LiquiPower gage and move the pump up to the accessory rail area.

Posted Image

The AT2K pump is a perfect fit under the tac rail and the angled air output slips nicely into the stock LS shell.

Posted Image

I then cut down a longshot front-gun handle and attached it behind the AT2K tank as a trigger.

It turned out pretty well I think:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sorry, no pictures of the double-clip process, that's been done to death and I didn't feel like documenting my screwups as I went along.

#2 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:43 PM

I feel as if I must applaud you on this. This gun is definitley one of the better LS's that I have seen. What type of laser is that?

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#3 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:58 PM

Doesn't the LS stock get in the way of the 2k pump?

That's a crazy LS BTW.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#4 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:07 PM

I feel as if I must applaud you on this. This gun is definitley one of the better LS's that I have seen. What type of laser is that?

It's just a standard laser pointer that you can get from any office supply store.

You could use one of the ones they sell for cat toys at the dollar store if you want.

Doesn't the LS stock get in the way of the 2k pump?

That's a crazy LS BTW.

The LS stock provides a backstop so that the 2K pump doesn't come out of the tube, it works rather perfectly.

#5 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:11 PM

This looks awesome. Really nice work, But I have one question. Do you feel it is acward to pump the AT2k? But overall If it was for sale I would buy it.
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#6 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:22 PM

This looks awesome. Really nice work, But I have one question. Do you feel it is acward to pump the AT2k? But overall If it was for sale I would buy it.

Actually, if you hold it towards the ground, pumping with your non-trigger hand works very well.

Heh, I could make another one, but it would cost, that was quite a bit of work.

#7 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:34 PM

Ok. Before it was pretty. Now its just pimp.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#8 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:48 PM

I applaud the use of and question the usability of a laser sight.
Always bring your sword to battle.

I pity the fool who attempts to use a single-shot blaster against me.

#9 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:52 PM

It's just there for style, it has no real practical use, but it's fun.

#10 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:01 PM

Off topic, but every time my dog sees a nerf gun she goes ballistic looking for the laser.

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#11 Poseidon

Poseidon

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:01 PM

Hmmm... FA24 should watch out... he might be getting some competition for the most ficken awesome LS beast to ever have hit the planet. Nice work. By the way, what sort of ranges are you getting with the two guns on that atrocity now?
Faith is a living, daring confidence in God's grace, so sure and certain that a man could stake his life on it a thousand times.
-Martin Luther

In Soviet Russia, Mudkipz liek u.

#12 Mepain

Mepain

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:19 PM

I love the way you integrated the front gun trigger into the LS and connected it to the 2k trigger. The pump placement is also quite nice.

#13 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:04 PM

Hmmm... FA24 should watch out... he might be getting some competition for the most ficken awesome LS beast to ever have hit the planet. Nice work. By the way, what sort of ranges are you getting with the two guns on that atrocity now?

85-100 on the LS, about 60-65 on the turret attached AT2K, normal ranges.

#14 Guest_fadinglight4_*

Guest_fadinglight4_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

That may have to be the coolest LS I have ever seen. Great job.

#15 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:35 PM

I know what my next LS is going to be... except black instead of red.
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#16 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:10 PM

I must say that 2K pump looks really uncomfortable to pump, but other than that it looks incredible. Awesome work!
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#17 CrazyIvan VI

CrazyIvan VI

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:45 PM

Shit. The next weekend I come home from school, I'm doing this.
I get all giddy when I see VACC browsing a stupid topic. I just know someone is going to get banned.

#18 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:09 AM

Nice, I know the laser is just for fun and all (the laser is sweet by the way), but a flashlight might have a much more functional use, at least I've found that to be true.
Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 14 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

Damn it Foamfoot. Why is it that you kill every good topic with a retarded response a few days late.

#19 Oni Kadaki

Oni Kadaki

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:25 AM

I love everything about it save for the laser sight, and even that is cool, just not very safe except for target practice. If it could be turned off, it would be perfect, great mod. For the mk. 3, I want you to integrate a vulcan.

Edit: In case it wasn't evident, the last part about the vulcan was a joke.

Edited by Oni Kadaki, 28 October 2008 - 12:28 AM.

#20 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:19 AM

I know what my next LS is going to be... except black instead of red.

I have a black/silver case in the works now, as well as a Blue/Silver, just for paint job examples.

#21 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts
  • State:Indiana

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:41 AM

It really depends on where/how you play and who you play with. The indoor wars I play with the youth group at my church are a perfect venue for both the Nightfinder style "lasers" and actual laser pointers being used. Since we play in the dark, they show up great even from longer distances (especially the real lasers.) As I started introducing them to modded guns, one of the "mods" I did was e-taping a small laser pointer to the underside of my Double Shot, right between the barrels where I liked to hold my left hand for stability. (The groove between the barrels ensured a perfectly aligned beam). I could quickly touch the button to "paint" any target that presented itself, which let me know I was aiming correctly, at least horizontally. Then I only had to gauge the vertical angle, making aiming quicker, easier and more effective.

A side effect that I noticed the first night I started using my laser-guided Double Shot (lol) was that the laser pointer was also quite effective as a deterent and a distraction. I could chase opponents out of an area just by lighting up their chest with a bright red dot - it spooked and unnerved them knowing I wasn't likely to miss if I pulled the trigger. (Sometimes I'd even use it to defend myself when I had fired both shots and they were unaware.)

Now, outside and in daylight, I don't think a laser pointer would be much more effective than a Nitefinder's beam. You might be able to see the dot, but at the typical outdoor ranges, and with wind as a factor, it won't really help you much with aiming.
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users