H2h

H2H in nerf wars?

18 replies to this topic

#1 Blaster

Blaster

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 06:33 PM

I was looking at Ragornocks Buster Sword and was wondering, do you guys allow H2H in nerf wars? I've never actually heard of it but I was just wondering because it seems like a great idea. I think I once heard Vacc or someone saying something about it not being allowed because of some reason I can't remember but if you made rules pertaining to it or something (like if you stab a certain part of the enemy like the chest or back they're out, or a certain number of times they can be hit or if they get hit on the arm they loose use of that arm or hit in the leg they loose use of that leg for a certain amount of time). Anyway i was just wondering if anyone else does this because if I ever manage to get another nerf war with my friends together it might be fun to try. So just let me know what your thoughts or ideas are on it.

Edited by Blaster, 12 January 2004 - 06:36 PM.

"The voice of the American people has been heard; and, I won't imitate it, out of respect for the retarded."
— Lewis Black (concerning the 04 election results)
www.lewisblack.net

#2 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 10:41 PM

I personally think it is pointless. "Let's shoot each other with cool guns! Let's then abandon our guns and use ugly-ass pieces of PVC covered with foam!?"
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#3 Blaster

Blaster

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 10:56 PM

I personally think it is pointless. "Let's shoot each other with cool guns! Let's then abandon our guns and use ugly-ass pieces of PVC covered with foam!?"

Sorry but I guess I didn't explain myself entirely. I was just saying we could incorporate the two together. Maybe if someone ran out of darts or something they could use the h2h until they refilled.

Edited by Blaster, 12 January 2004 - 10:56 PM.

"The voice of the American people has been heard; and, I won't imitate it, out of respect for the retarded."
www.lewisblack.net

#4 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 10:57 PM

As I have stated before I got back into nerfing in College because I joined a LARP, now in that game most people used nerf guns as the primary weapon of choice (lock n' loads being highly prized) but among the other allowed weapons are boffer weapons, some times made of PVC cores but I've seen carbon fiber rod, used inside of 5/8'' FBR to make cane swords. At any rate we use them often to make silent kills or for a surpize. On the occasional nerf war inside a large lecture hall I've seen them used very effectivly to someone attacking others who are consentrating on a far off opponent.

I like to use them as a supplemental weapon if you've run out of ammo, or to reload and are getting rushed. Plus they can be fun to mess around with just like nerf guns. Don't diss them til you tried them.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#5 Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 01:57 PM

Well... I started with h2h, and then my friend Nerfer16 introduced me to the world of nerf. I think carrying h2h weapons as well as nerf guns would make an interesting twist on the usual nerf wars.
Do not mess with CXWQ, for he has Admin powers and will bann your flaming little a**.

Techno-Dann of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team

#6 Blaster

Blaster

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:54 PM

This probably sounds stupid since I posted this topic in the first place but what exactly does H2H stand for? I know what it is but not what it stands for.
www.lewisblack.net

#7 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 11:19 PM

As I have stated before I got back into nerfing in College because I joined a LARP, now in that game most people used nerf guns as the primary weapon of choice (lock n' loads being highly prized) but among the other allowed weapons are boffer weapons, some times made of PVC cores but I've seen carbon fiber rod, used inside of 5/8'' FBR to make cane swords. At any rate we use them often to make silent kills or for a surpize. On the occasional nerf war inside a large lecture hall I've seen them used very effectivly to someone attacking others who are consentrating on a far off opponent.

I like to use them as a supplemental weapon if you've run out of ammo, or to reload and are getting rushed. Plus they can be fun to mess around with just like nerf guns. Don't diss them til you tried them.

Yeah, but you have to take into consideration that this is LARPers we're talking about. I mean when compared to any other type of combat-sport, LARPers come out on top as the most absurd. I'm not trying to bash LARPing. I'm just saying that LARPing is a different form of role playing, not a different form of nerfing. It doesn't require the same skill set. So really you can't compare the two. I mean if you try and sneak up on me with a foam sword while I'm carrying a max shot, I'm not going to pretend not to notice you pecause you character has +2 sneak attack when using that particular sword. I'm going to turn around and shoot you in the face.

H2H stands for Hand to Hand. Which is kind of a misnomer because you're still not actually fighting hand to hand, you just don't have a ranged weapon. You have a melee weapon.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#8 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 11:36 PM

I'm just saying that LARPing is a different form of role playing, not a different form of nerfing. It doesn't require the same skill set.

Yeah, that and most of us don't wear capes while Nerfing. Well, there was that one time with Death, but excluding that...
~Famine
of Mag-7
East Coast Nerf 2005: Step It Up.
East Coast Nerf 2006: That's more like it.
East Coast Nerf 2007: I'm not driving to Massachusetts again.
East Coast Nerf 2008: Day of Regret.
East Coast Nerf 2009: Quid pro quo, douchebags!

#9 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 02:43 PM

Yeah, that and most of us don't wear capes while Nerfing. Well, there was that one time with Death, but excluding that...

That was only 'cuz Captain Popetacious told me to!

Yeah, but Hand-to-Hand in Nerf has possibilities, though only very slight ones. In all honesty, one would be better off freeing up the weight and carrying space that melee weaponry would necessitate in order to facilitate another gun. However, as follows is my point-by-point analysis of the practicality of melee weapons in a Nerf War.

By definition, a melee weapon would require you to achieve close proximity with your opponent. This is all well and good if your opponent is in one of the following three states:

1) Out of Ammo
2) Reloading or pumping a weapon with large recycle time (i.e., trying to reload a Wildfire).
3) Also defaulting to melee weaponry.

Having said that, these are all general vulnerabilities; anyone with a gun could take full advantage of these situations without having to close range.

But what about using the melee weapons for defensive purposes? Well, this depends on a few ground rules. Does the hit count if it lands on the weapon? In other words, the way we usually play here, if your gun takes a hit it counts against you; so would a melee weapon follow the same rules? Even if it does not (meaning any dart landing on the melee weapon DOES NOT count against the wielder), defending darts with such a device is very, very difficult. I'm fairly sure there are no Jedi out there, and I've run into very few people whose reaction speed and reflexes would facilitate such a defense. Even I, a veritable master of dart deflection with my Manta Ray, have extreme difficulty in blocking a dart with melee weaponry (though I have done it in a war using my foam-covered katana). In most instances, the energy and concentration required for such an endeavor would be better placed in dodging or counter-firing. If you want to learn to deflect darts, buy a Manta Ray.

Another defensive use for melee would be if you, yourself, have run out of ammo or have needed to stop for a long weapon recycle time. It is conceivable that having a small foam dagger might be a good idea to defend a rushing attacker. However, once again due to blocking limitations and the fact that your opponent will more than likely be using a gun, your enemy will probably not come into any range in which your melee weaponry will be of any use to you.

In conclusion, though I myself have often brought melee weapons into a Nerf war, the sad truth of it is that they really have no place in a Foam Battle.

DEATH

Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without.  --Hávamál 38

#10 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 02:55 PM

If you had room for a foam dagger, and could concievabley hold onto said dagger while loading a wildfire, you would be much better off useing this dexterity [+2] to hold a Tech Target gun or some other small dispensible pistol. And the only situation in which this would ever even be an issue is if someone were to see that you are reloading and decide that trying to "tap" you would be better than risking a miss and losing a dart.

Speaking of the tap rule, a melee weapon would be a consideration when playing a game where using the tap rule would be outlawed or considered cheap. For example there were a couple siege wars in Mill Creek when people multi-tapped or tapped more than once without reloading or dischargeing their gun in between. It would be worthwile to establish a rule where you can't tap, but melee weapons can be used to block and attack, giving you a defense against close-up attacks.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#11 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 05:25 PM

Langley,

When you say tap, do you mean tapping with a gun, or with an H2H weapon?

Edited by Nerfer16, 28 January 2004 - 05:25 PM.

Nerfer16 of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team
Nerf on!

#12 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 05:55 PM

Langley means a tap like this pic that he made, I think.

Posted Image

A tap is a maneuver in which an armed person physically touches the target lightly with his gun and says "Tap" to signify that they are killed. This allows a person who is defenseless to avoid recieving a painful close-range blast.

If I was to use melee weapons in a war, I would have it substitute the tap rule, to make a use for them and make strategy and steath an even more important aspect.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#13 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 06:53 PM

What he said.

The problem with the tap rule in certain situations (Siege War) is that the person doing the taping has an unfair advatage. He doesn't have to reload. Because the whole premise of the tap rule is that you don't shoot the person at point blank. The tap is supposed to substitute that shot, which is why you have to be loaded in order to tap. At one point when I was playing with east coast rules (you take the hits as they come with no counting, clearing or respawning) we had a problem with people going "tap tap tap" and taking all three of a persons hits without ever having to reload. Now hold on. I am going somewhere with this.

Using boffle swords or foam knives etc. would not only alow people to legitamately do the equivalent to multi-tapping (taping someone more than once without reloading first) but it would also allow the person being tapped to defend themselves by parying with their own weapon. But like I said before, this isn't really usefull unless you're defending something or playing with east coast rules. Otherwise, you're better off with a pistol.

Edit: Jesus Christ. 300th post. I gotta cut back.

Edited by Langley, 28 January 2004 - 06:55 PM.

2016 Nerf War Schedule

#14 Nazgul Lord

Nazgul Lord

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 09:13 PM

Usually in outdoor wars me and meh friends use those paper towel rolls as knives, and in indoors film roll containers as grenades, maybe even those foam balls nerf makes, ehhe :D
Nazgul Lord of the CFM

#15 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 10:44 PM

Yeah, but you have to take into consideration that this is LARPers we're talking about. I mean when compared to any other type of combat-sport, LARPers come out on top as the most absurd. I'm not trying to bash LARPing. I'm just saying that LARPing is a different form of role playing, not a different form of nerfing. It doesn't require the same skill set. So really you can't compare the two. I mean if you try and sneak up on me with a foam sword while I'm carrying a max shot, I'm not going to pretend not to notice you pecause you character has +2 sneak attack when using that particular sword. I'm going to turn around and shoot you in the face.

H2H stands for Hand to Hand. Which is kind of a misnomer because you're still not actually fighting hand to hand, you just don't have a ranged weapon. You have a melee weapon.

I should clarify about the LARP. My group didn't do any metagaming, that is to say you don't have any stats besides your history and a brief description of your personality. Your character is only good as you are. The only thing that can effect combat are in game items like "bullet proof vest" or a "lucky cigarette case" that might add to the number of hits needed to kill you.

Which means all the combat was live. If you saw someone, they were seen. This isn't Vampire, there is no sneak skills if you can't acutally hid well, we don't roll dice or play rock paper scissors. So if you can't shoot worth beans or suck at hand to hand you had best avoid combat.

However it did mean you could walk up to people on the pretext of having a meeting with them and kill them when they weren't looking, but there were plenty of gun fights that broke out on a regular basis, and impromptu nerf wars held after meetings too.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#16 Ragornocks

Ragornocks

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 01:40 PM

For my defense, I do not use H2H in Nerf. It is actually a seperate thing me and a few friends do outside of Nerf. No, I don't run around with that damn Buster Sword, but the riot shield idea really does have merit...
hug the fuck out of 'em, philippe!

#17 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 02:22 AM

Where I'm at, nerfing and h2h are usually played separately, usually since when we play h2h, we play at night or in the woods, making it difficult to find darts if we were to nerf. I'm just getting more of my friends to nerf, but right now we are just shooting each other around the house with my guns. Maybe if we try integrating the two together, they will eventually get their own guns.
"Do you like gladiator movies, Johnny?"

#18 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 11:01 AM

For my defense, I do not use H2H in Nerf. It is actually a seperate thing me and a few friends do outside of Nerf. No, I don't run around with that damn Buster Sword, but the riot shield idea really does have merit...

Riot shield? Bah! There is but one shield worthy of Nerfdom, and that is the pride of the Max Force line, the MANTA RAY. A riot shield is big, clunky, and slow, but the cover that it provides could very easily unbalance gameplay. The 'Ray, on the other hand, is small, sleek, and demonstrative of an incredible amount of skill when used effectively (yes, that WAS my own horn which you heard me tooting). Plus, when cleverly wielded, the Ray can be held simultaneously in the same hand as a small sidearm (I typically carry my Crossbow in my right hand with the 'Ray and an LNL in my left).

In conclusion, the Manta Ray rocks.

DEATH

Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without.  --Hávamál 38

#19 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 11:19 AM

Riot shield? Bah! There is but one shield worthy of Nerfdom, and that is the pride of the Max Force line, the MANTA RAY. A riot shield is big, clunky, and slow, but the cover that it provides could very easily unbalance gameplay....

So I guess if I bring in my big Haus Bloodguard shield made out of aircraft aluminum to a nerf war, I won't be allowed to use it? ::grin::

Edited by Langley, 30 January 2004 - 11:21 AM.

2016 Nerf War Schedule

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users