Photo

Flying Barrels.

16 replies to this topic

#1 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:13 PM

So I recently found a problem. Both my Nightfinder with a Homedepot spring and my K100(SnapBow Customized Freak) suffer from it. When I shoot them, after the dart leaves the barrel, the barrel, which is on a CPVC coupler, FLIES off! Usually vertically and it is hilarious when people see it, but it isn't when you are in battle... the obvious solution, and what I currently resort to, is to hold the barrel with your off hand. Works great, but now you can't shoot them with out hand lest you want to let the barrel fly. Plus, holding the barrel instead of the actual gun part is alot less comfortable.

I assume it's a problem with padding, but I recently brought my K100's plunger head up to spec with the actual SNAPBow, meaning it has two rubber washers so it should padding it as much as Rorks... and I frankly have never heard anyone else having problems with this ever before. Is there anything I can do? Or do I have to upgrade to 1/2 PVC sleeved brass?
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#2 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:16 PM

I have had that happen to me countless time with my Big Bad Bow and my PETG barrel I had made. I think it was because the coupler and the PVC where bought from completely different stores. Yeah, I know that sounds stupid but that might be the case.
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#3 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/LukeKoboJobo on Reddit

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:20 PM

I think Icespartan's right. I've had couplers with slightly different dimensions before. They were different brands.

#4 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:23 PM

If you take a pipe cutter and do some indent rings around the base it will actually make the barrel fit in the couple a lot better. This will solve your flying barrel problem.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But Iím just not the angel you knew.

#5 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:32 PM

I sand down my barrels to make them fit properly. Weird, but it happens. Sand down the barrel, and make sure you can get it ALL the way into the coupler. It should be about 3/4ths of an inch for a half inch CPVC coupler, and an inch for a PVC coupler.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#6 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:47 PM

I have had that happen to me countless time with my Big Bad Bow and my PETG barrel I had made. I think it was because the coupler and the PVC where bought from completely different stores. Yeah, I know that sounds stupid but that might be the case.

Excuse me, that YOU made eh? I believe I did most of the work. All you did was put the barrel on and shoot the damn thing. But, he's right with the different store's pvc. It happened with my BBBB.

EDIT: Thanks for the advice angel!

Edited by ice, 21 October 2008 - 09:52 PM.

<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#7 silentsnipe

silentsnipe

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:52 PM

Excuse me, that YOU made eh? I believe I did most of the work. All you did was put the barrel on and shoot the damn thing. But, he's right with the different store's pvc. It happened with my BBBB.

He said "had made".
And it's absolutely rated R for the violence. Also boobies. And pee pees.

Talio.

Join TheNerfFreaks.forumotion.com TODAY!

#8 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:25 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try Angel's idea tomarrow while everyone isn't sleeping. :D The barrel already seems to be firmer thanks to the rings but only testing will really tell.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#9 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:52 PM

Tell me, why is this a bad thing? :lol:
But in seriousness, your barrels are just fitting in your coupler wrong. Do what Forsaken angel said, and it should solve your problem.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#10 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:58 PM

He said "had made".

I must say your missing the whole point. What is the proper name right before the "had made"?

I solved this problem by wetting the inside of the coupler/ hex head reducer bushing, then spreading hot glue over the tip of the barrel. Shove it in the coupler and wipe away the glue that pops up, and it should be better.

#11 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:15 PM

I solved this problem by wetting the inside of the coupler/ hex head reducer bushing, then spreading hot glue over the tip of the barrel. Shove it in the coupler and wipe away the glue that pops up, and it should be better.

Better but not nearly permanent.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But Iím just not the angel you knew.

#12 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:30 AM

The problem with adding anything to the end of the barrel is that you can end up throwing the barrel all cockeyed, hurting accuracy. If you're using cpvc, I suggest dispensing with the cpvc coupler entirely; Instead, jam the cpvc barrel into about 1 to 1 1/2" of sched. 40 on each end, creating a dog bone style barrel. Works fantastically. It's quite a tight fit, though (the cpvc expands the pvc a wee bit).
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#13 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:10 PM

When barrels start flying around here, I just wrap some e-tape around the barrel where it WON'T be inside whatever coupler they're using, and then stretch the wraps a little, bending one layer down into where the coupler'll be, and back out.

It makes a clean ring of tape on the barrel, save one curved bit, and it adds just that little bit of diameter in-coupler to keep the barrels in.

Edited by Falcon, 22 October 2008 - 01:10 PM.

----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilývatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#14 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Oregon
  • u/Parabolictoys on Reddit

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:52 PM

After having this happen a few times, I began using threaded pipes instead. Never had a problem since. They aren't as quick to reload, but it's not usually a problem for me. Most of the darts we use are stock sonics and taggers, so they must be muzzle loaded and ram rodded anyway.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#15 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:50 PM

If the darts still shoot accurately, just attach a string to the barrel and to the gun, so when it flies off it stays "attached" and you're ready to load another dart. It also adds a neat little effect.

#16 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:34 PM

I'm with bpso86 on this one. I have a short length of shock cord attached to my crossbow's barrel for the occassional barrel dropping incident, and it works well.
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilývatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#17 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:42 PM

Imagine a Titan doing this with a steel barrel. Not pretty.

Now I use a large Double-coupler system with my Titan - Essentially a Coupler inside a Larger coupler, both of which the barrel fits into.

Edited by AssassinNF, 22 October 2008 - 07:43 PM.

Probably dead by now, or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users