30 replies to this topic

#26 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:02 AM

I've modded a at3k, sm3k, and all that shit. With multiple barrels on each (probably around 13 different setups on each) I've NEVER got anywhere NEAR 80 feet. Probably more around 70 feet.

So, you must be nerfing in space.

So now we're calling this man a liar?

Apparently anything that you have yet to do is now impossible. Good to know.

#27 Guest_fadinglight4_*

Guest_fadinglight4_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:25 PM

I don't think it is worth it. 8 shots is a really good speed and it can get decent ranges with new barrels.

#28 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:04 PM

The seal between the turret and the tank of an AT3K is so horrible, you couldn't break 75' without redesigning the seal...

No, the seal problem is actually rather simple to remedy, you use two o-rings and quite a bit of lube, and then you bypass the goo-tube by replacing the tubing on top of a solid barrel mod (6-8 inch barrels) along with a pump plug and you'll see why I'm claiming such ranges.

The 3k isn't entirely incapable of achieving 100 foot ranges, the 2k does it, and the 3k has a slightly bigger tank and both have relatively the same flow rate as well. If you improve the seal on the 3k, it makes a drastic difference, TRUST ME, and bypassing the goo-tube certainly can't hurt either.

Also, keef, aren't you notorious for never suggesting plugging the pump on your 3ks, maybe that is what is making the difference.
When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#29 Jedijoe9

Jedijoe9

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:28 PM

Removing the "goo" (which by the way I believe to be colored mineral oil) and leaving the tube intact could actually improve performance by increasing the volume available for air.

Funny how many times the modifications section is being brought up in this thread, but cxwq experimented with this here and found "The nearly identical mean, median, and range make it clear that this mod is not an effective way to enhance range."
"If you watch jaws backwards it's about a huge shark that throws up so many people that they need to open a beach."

I nerf like a four year old.

#30 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:34 PM

The 3k isn't entirely incapable of achieving 100 foot ranges, the 2k does it, and the 3k has a slightly bigger tank and both have relatively the same flow rate as well. If you improve the seal on the 3k, it makes a drastic difference, TRUST ME, and bypassing the goo-tube certainly can't hurt either.

Actually, it's the other way around - certainly can't HELP. The AT goo tubes are part of the high pressure system. Removing them cannot possibly improve firing performance in any way, shape, or form. It might conceivably reduce pumping needed though. Removing the "goo" (which by the way I believe to be colored mineral oil) and leaving the tube intact could actually improve performance by increasing the volume available for air.

No, because you are bypassing an area which generally causes leaks and problems. And Cwxq's analysis of his own goo tube mod, in which he did exactly what you mentioned, he found there was no increase in range, in fact, even a slight decrease (ever so slight).

(d'oh, Jedijoe9 beat me to it)

But, talk is cheap, here is what I mean:
Posted Image
Completely bypassed, one length of new tubing.
Posted Image
These are o-rings between the turret and airtank, adding these in place of the existing seal with lubricant on them and the rear of the turret improves ranges and consistency considerably, it seals very well.

Edited by Blasphemy, 20 October 2008 - 07:46 PM.

When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#31 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:51 PM

I'll have to try that now, because that was the only thing that drove nuts about the 3k's, the piss poor seal...
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users