Photo

Urukai Bow, By Splitlip

20 replies to this topic

#1 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:05 PM

Here is the Urukai Bow stock. That’s a foot long piece of Petg for size reference.
Posted Image
It shoots those awesome, foot long arrows all of five feet. (Makes for a hilarious random shot in the parking lot) Holy crap! A foot long? And no barrel? That must mean that the plunger tube is tiny as hell! Wrong. What I discovered is that this bow uses a reverse plunger system. This means that the arrows go inside the plunger and the plunger tube is forced down onto that, pushing an insane amount of air!

To open this beasty, there are 12 screws on the shell. You have to gently pry open the axes with a flat head screwdriver. This reveals 4 more screws for a grand total of 16. The ends just pop out too.
Posted Image

Here are the internals:
Posted Image
The two clear rings are a jelly like substance, and absorb most of the impact on the plunger tube. These things are awesome, and will expand and cushion the blow perfectly. You can see that this is very similar to the Urukai cross bow (See FA’s Mega Pistol). It uses the same internal bungees. The seal between the plunger and the plunger tube is very good, and since you can’t get to the plunger head without cutting through the plunger tube, I’m going to leave it alone. There appear to be no ARs anyway! Very cool.

Look at the size of that plunger tube! It’s 1 ¼” in diameter by a 9” pull! That’s almost double the volume of a Longshot plunger tube! With a better seal, and better padding!

Here’s what I did for the barrel. I pulled apart the two arrows and used a ½” wood drill bit to hollow them out more. I fit one over the Petg, and forced it down all the way. I then pulled it out half of an inch and marked it. You can’t put it all the way in, because the air inlets from the sides, not the back of the plunger.
Posted Image

I added the second to where my mark is, and gooped up both. Stick a pin through the inside side of the Petg.
Posted Image

Run a piece of copper wire with the insulation removed through the pin hole, bend it down and hot glue it in place.
Posted Image

Then put the barrel in, and trim off the foam if any is sticking out.
Posted Image

Here it is finished:
Posted Image
To close it up you need to reinsert the screws, and apply a ring of super glue to the back ring (where the plunger tube meets the shell), the two axes where you pried open, and the arm extensions.

It vacuum loads the whole 12” and then some. Flat it shoots about 55 to 60 feet on average, without any bungees at all! This thing is so ripe for integrations in the arms, and already looks cool as hell. I can easily pull 100+’ out of this monster with some bungees. I’ll pick them up soon and get some official range tests. I’m betting on around 120’. My darts fit OMC Petg perfectly (made from Fa’s foam).
Teehee.

#2 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:10 PM

Nice Mod, At first I thought it was a Lord Of The Rings crossbow. I haven't ever heard of this gun before, Where did you get it? Ounce again nice mod.

Edited by Icespartan_1114, 04 September 2008 - 09:21 PM.

QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#3 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:12 PM

Christ, I'd be so damn upset if I saw that pointing at me. Should fashion a trigger for that monster.

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#4 doubleshot

doubleshot

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:15 PM

Nice Mod, At first I thought it was a Lord Of The Rings crossbow. I haven't ever heard of this gun before, Where did you get it? Wounce again nice mod.

Can you stop spelling the word "O-N-C-E" wrong? This is the 5th or 6th time I've seen you do it. I believe he bought it off of Badger at Talio's last war. Split, I knew this was coming, you were pretty excited to have gotten it.
92% of people make up statistics. If you're one of the 8% who don't, put this in your signature

#5 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:15 PM

Bought it from Badgers collection. :) There are some real gems in there. An no way would I put a trigger on this thing. I love the pull and release. I was going to make one from scratch that had a huge plunger, and an awesome seal so that it could vacuum load across a whole 12" barrel, but oh, holy crap, I already have that! :)
Teehee.

#6 Z4

Z4

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:16 PM

That's one pretty impressive piece of foam shooting equipment right there. So basically it's a bungee powered pull and release gun on steroids? I like it. Where was I when all these awesome LOTR toys came out? Excellent job on the mod, that thing scares me just a little bit. It looks like it would be very heavy, is it?
Z4 of the NIC
"We are here to have fun with the toys we love in a civilized and friendly manner."- Talio

#7 aamiller321

aamiller321

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:18 PM

Christ, I'd be so damn upset if I saw that pointing at me. Should fashion a trigger for that monster.

Yeah make a catch and trigger system and this thing would be a beast.
QUOTE(sidamazo @ Nov 20 2008, 03:51 PM) View Post

y the hell r u here?
Challenge me
QUOTE(CoasterDynamix757 @ Jul 5 2009, 11:29 AM) View Post

Ice, is it your time of the month again?

#8 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:20 PM

Nice Mod, At first I thought it was a Lord Of The Rings crossbow. I haven't ever heard of this gun before, Where did you get it? Wounce again nice mod.

Can you stop spelling the word "O-N-C-E" wrong? This is the 5th or 6th time I've seen you do it. I believe he bought it off of Badger at Talio's last war. Split, I knew this was coming, you were pretty excited to have gotten it.

Sorry Bout that kinda out of it today and just a habit for that word.

Edited by Icespartan_1114, 05 September 2008 - 12:34 PM.

QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#9 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:30 PM

And to think three different people were interested in this thing, but backed out because it wasn't the Crossbow. Way to go with the mod SL! Fuck the BnA! This fucker is the Godzilla of the pull and release genre!

And don't listen to anyone about adding a trigger or a catch/release. It's a beast already and would truly be something to be feared on the field of battle.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#10 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:44 PM

I love that you kept the bow arms. People are a bit too quick to minimize, in some cases; this would just look incomplete without them. I mean, I'm hardly a guy who's concerned with cosmetics, but neither am I interested in needless butchery. If you're going to use a bow-inspired blaster, why not let it LOOK like a bow-inspired blaster? This is a silly hobby, and shame has no place in it. And 100+ feet? People should quit with the put-a-trigger-on-it nice and quick. Well done. ~Rork
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#11 raw shrimp

raw shrimp

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:48 PM

I don't get how it works. So if it vacuum loads and it's a bow, do you just pull back and shoot really quickly?

#12 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:46 AM

You have been busy lately Splitlip. I am impressed.
All three mods have been added to the directory.
Keep up the good work.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#13 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:29 AM

Now this is would be a damn scary thing to see pointed at you during a war. Reloading would be a little slow, but the whole concept rocks.

Methinks I need to search the discount stores around here.

And FYI Icespartan, the word is habit. One B.

#14 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:48 AM

I can't see why reloading would be too terribly slow - the bloody thing sucks the dart all the way down the barrel when you pull back on the plunger. Just slip a dart into the tube, and you're ready to go. Not much slower than loading a stock NF or DS. (Only slower then because of the size of the gun...er bow.)

Splitlip - this is made of pure awesomeness. The beastly looks of that thing just add to the intimidation factor of the 100'+ range, and just imagine the barrel-tap possibilities. I know I'd consider myself out if you tapped me with one of those "axes". :D

If I were you (and I'm not, because you are well beyond me in modding skills thus far), I'd add some ammo holders along the bow arms - like you see on modern compound bows. That could speed the reload times a bit, though I'm certain they aren't as bad as hereticorp seems to think.

And FYI Icespartan, the word is habit. One B.

Maybe he got it confused with Hobbit - LOTR connection in the thread and all...

Edited by Ambience 327, 05 September 2008 - 09:48 AM.

Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#15 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:19 AM

If I were you (and I'm not, because you are well beyond me in modding skills thus far), I'd add some ammo holders along the bow arms - like you see on modern compound bows. That could speed the reload times a bit, though I'm certain they aren't as bad as hereticorp seems to think.

I did say a LITTLE slow, not "Holy shit the reload time would SUCK!" I was thinking of the size and having to maneuver the thing around to get the dart in.

Ammo holders along the arms would be a great idea though.

#16 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:26 AM

Maybe I read you wrong. I guess my thinking was - compare it to anything else that hits those ranges, and how many of them would be faster to reload than this? Most that I can think of require one of the following:

- open a breech, load, close the breech, cock/pump, aim & fire
- pull barrel out of coupler, load, replace barrel, cock/pump, aim & fire
- put dart in barrel, ramrod or blow to bottom, cock/pump, aim & fire

There may be a few out there that are faster - probably something turreted or speed-loader equipped. But I think that this gun stacks up pretty well with:

- put dart in barrel, pull back handle, aim & release

Plus, it gets bonus points for the fact that it took a weapon like this to take down the killing machine that was Boromir. :D

Edited by Ambience 327, 05 September 2008 - 10:27 AM.

Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#17 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:31 AM

Plus, it gets bonus points for the fact that it took a weapon like this to take down the killing machine that was Boromir. :D

Nay, Boromir fell under the weight of his father's ambition!

Carry on.

#18 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:39 PM

"Burning, smashing! Burning, smashing!" *waives hand* "March to Helms Deep. Leave none alive."

Wha... oh heh, got a little distracted there for a second. Good mod Splitlip, F_a24's right, you have been very busy lately.

Edited by Blasphemy, 05 September 2008 - 02:39 PM.

When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#19 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:15 PM

Let me be the first to say....AHAHAHAHAHA!

Gosh we had a good time shooting each other with that thing. Fun times. I'm looking forward to you using it.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#20 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:45 PM

Haha. Yeah this thing is beast. Trying to make it shoot the arrows again. Shouldn't be too hard.

The rof is insane guys. I really don't know what you're thinking. I grab 5 darts from my pocket with my right hand, hold the bow with my left. I put one in the barrel, pull and release. In one swift motion I put another in the barrel, pull and release. Rinse, lather, repeat; except faster.

I bought bungees today. With one I'm getting about 75 flat, at two I get 85-90, and and 3 I can break 100 about one in three shots, but my arms get tired fast. God damn this thing is a beast.

Edit:
Here's a picture of the finished arrows. They shoot all of the 10 feet it did before, which is just perfect for a harmless point blank shot :D
Posted Image

Edited by Splitlip, 08 September 2008 - 05:51 PM.

Teehee.

#21 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:08 PM

Update:
I integrated a Marvelous Triple Strike into it. Let me just say, this thing is scary. At 10 pumps it hits about 70 flat with each barrel. I also switched darts. This means though I have to ram rod as opposed to the vacuum loading, the monster that the Urukai Bow is, on its own hits 80 feet flat with mini-bungees minimum, and it's accurate as all hell. A slight tip upwards (<15 degrees) and it hits over 100 easily, again with great accuracy.

Did I mention it looks ferocious?!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

For future reference for anyone else who may do this mod: I only ram rod half of the way (meaning that it gets those ranges with a 6" column of dead space!). If I were to do this designing it for these darts (I do like to still be able to switch back to vacuum loading darts at a moments notice), I would do a 6-6.5" barrel.

Edited by Splitlip, 18 October 2008 - 01:11 PM.

Teehee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users