Photo

Nightfinder W/ Magazine

28 replies to this topic

#26 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:00 AM

Wow, my brother had the same idea with a ttg. I got the clip system all figured out but he couldn't get the breech right. A firing video would be nice too.

Edited by Renegademilitia15, 17 October 2008 - 10:01 AM.

Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#27 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:39 PM

I'm sorry if I mislead you, but the rare earth magnets I was refering to are these:

Posted Image

They aren't really all that rare. I have them because my dad used to work for an engineering company.

And those are actually quite large when it comes to rare earth/neodymium magnets. They can be bought in many shapes and sizes, some much smaller than watch batteries even. They are available in cylinder, disc and block shapes, as well as many others. They are are ridiculously strong for their size, though some experimentation/calculation would be required to figure out how many and what size would be best for securely holding a magazine on a Nerf blaster like this.

If you were to decide to go the magnet route, I would build a small receiver box at the attachment point (something just larger than the mag that it will side up into. This will help guide the mag to where it needs to sit in order to work properly, and it will also help avoid knocking the mag off with a soft/moderate sideways impact - only a tug directly downward would easily shift the mag with a well-built receiver. This would be a very easy system for reloading - just tug down to release the mag in the blaster, then slip a new mag in (or load the empty first) and you're ready to go.

This has me thinking about trying to do something like this eventually. Dang it - now I have another project in my head that I won't be able to get to for a while!!!! :lol:
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#28 Gyrvalcon

Gyrvalcon

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:56 PM

It'd be great as a catch for a removable magazine, true, but then you'd need another addition to the magazine to keep all the darts from popping out of a loaded magazine. The only removable (straight feed) magazine that I recall was for Ompa's magazine-in-handle pistol, and he used a piece of thread wrapped over the top of the magazine to keep the darts in. Of course, CaptainSlug has posted some retainer ideas, and I have a few myself, but for simplicity's sake I think I'll stick with a fixed magazine. For this blaster, anyhow...

Edit: Also, I just noticed an extensive selection of rare-earth magnets in the Lee Valley hardware catalog. Spherical, hemispherical, ring, cylinder, cupped, everything you could want.

Edited by Gyrvalcon, 17 October 2008 - 12:59 PM.

-Knowledge Is Power-

#29 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:59 PM

I would love to see a video of this thing in action. This is great work.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users