Tsunami Scattergun

Buzz Bee Big Blast Modification

31 replies to this topic

#1 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:57 PM

This mod has been done for a couple of months, but I have been too busy to post the writeup. Now that I have a weekend of vacation I can post my newest creation.

I present the Tsunami Scattergun, SG-7.

Posted Image

--------------
Introduction
--------------
Ever since I first started using my first modification, the Absolver Scattergun in my weekly nerfing, I have come to love its ability to sweep a hallway from fifty feet. It did, however, have some pretty considerable drawbacks. It took forever to pump, made a horribly loud noise, was rather large and heavy for a single shot blaster, and making more would put me thirty more bucks in the hole.
I solved these problems by using a Buzz Bee Big Blast.
The Buzz Bee Big Blast is basically my favorite blaster ever. It is small, light, quiet, easy to minimize and modify, easy to pump quickly, and very cheap. I got mine from Five Below for only 5 dollars. Note that this is basically the same functional mod I did to my Titan, only with much cleaner and more war-friendly results, with only a modest decrease in range.

-------------
Instructions
-------------
Posted Image

Nothing like turning a 5 dollar nerf blaster into a total beast. Here’s what you need.

1) About 50 centimeters of 1/2" Hot/Cold SCH40 PVC. I found that the long pipe that Lowes sells work just fine, they are cream-colored and have thin walls. It is important that the wall of the pipe is nice and thin. Dart Taggers are a tight squeeze, but they fit all right with a little twisting. You are eventually going to need seven lengths, each about 6.5 centimeters.
2) You need two PVC fittings. First:
a)1 1/2" Slip/Thread PVC adapter, female
B)1 1/2" X 1 1/4" Slip/Thread PVC adapter, male
3) A hot glue gun, with plenty of hot glue sticks. Plumbers goop works fine too.
4) A dremel. You will need a cutting and a sanding bit. A hacksaw and sandpaper will also work.
5) A pair of scissors.
6) A broken, old dart to cut up.
7) Epoxy or Plumber’s Goop.
8) About five centimeters of ¾” PVC, and expanding foam (optional)

Step one: The first thing you must do is construct an Absolver-style shotgun shell. Follow the URL to see the previous modification I made that use them:
http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=10831
Directions on how to build them are in there so that I don’t have to take up space and time rewriting everything.

Some members have since messaged me with some questions. Here is a little faq to help people so they don’t have to wait for a response from me:
Q: What type of barrel material works with this? It looks like a pretty tight fit…
A: SCH 40 ½” Thinwall CPVC. PVC is much too large. PETG or brass is also really thin, so those might work too. A tip I’d suggest is to go to the hardware store, select the adapter you want, and try to fit as many ½” CPVC pipes as you can into it. That way you find out how many will fit before you buy anything.
Q: What coupler do I need? Can I cheat on the size, and fit the same amount of barrels in?
A: No, if you plan on making the same thing as me, it is best that you purchase the exact same size fittings.
Q: Screw-on fittings suck! Can’t slip couplings be used?
A: As far as I know, yes. I chose to use screw-on fittings due to personal taste. You are encouraged to make your shells using slip fittings. It should work just fine, and might help you reload faster.

Step two: Grab that Big Blast, and dremel off the orange ring that keeps the shell together. Mine was glued on, and it simply snapped off with a little cutting and forcing. Don’t worry about harming the shell, you are going to cut quite a bit of it off later.

Posted Image

Step three: Open the blaster up, and take a look at it so that you remember how it goes back together.

Posted Image

Go ahead and pull out the internals and cut off the black stock barrel, all the way down to the white plastic. Don’t cut any farther than that, or you risk damaging the orange tank seal. If you want to be safe, leave a little bit of the black stock barrel on. It should not matter much.

Posted Image

Step four: Step Four and Five are optional. This was a successful attempt to eliminate dead space in the male fitting for increased range. Grab your length of ¾” PVC. Cut it down so that it fits into the male adapter, according to the picture. It should be just as long as the adapter is.

Posted Image

Step five: Fill the space between the pipe and the adapter with your favorite expanding foam. I didn’t have any so I just grabbed a little Styrofoam toy putty I had lying around. Do what works for you.
Use hot glue to make sure its secure and airtight.

Posted Image

Step six: Oh no! The adapter won’t fit in the stock shell at all!

Posted Image

We’ll have to fix that.

Using the picture as a guide, cut the shell down using your dremel. Admittedly, I was pretty heavy on the cutting, so that I wouldn’t have to measure and trace the adapter and cut the barrel accordingly. Not only is doing that a huge pain in the butt, but getting it exactly right is difficult for me because I’m still relatively inexperienced with dremel work. The current minimalization cuts a lot off and exposes part of the internals, but requires less precision tracing, cutting, and measuring. It also makes the whole thing a bit lighter than other BBBB mods.

Posted Image

Like all dremel work, sand it down after cutting.

Posted Image

Step seven: Now that your shell is cut down to a manageable size, it is time to glue the male adapter onto the internals. You MUST use epoxy for this. Do not try hot glue, because it is not nearly strong enough to hold the weight of the adapter and the shell onto the tank.

Posted Image

Take a deep breath, stick it on as straight as you possibly can (it fights right over it, so it isn’t too difficult) and glue it into place. In the image, hot glue was used. I learned the hard way, so I‘ll say it again: Do NOT try using hot glue for this step. Goop or epoxy is your friend.

Step eight: When everything’s secure and dry, reassemble the blaster. Before doing this, you will need to use hot glue to secure the internals to the shell. You must glue the tank to the shell because it will move around when you pump it, making it impossible to use. Don’t freak out when you see that a little of the tank is exposed outside the shell. That is intentional.

Posted Image

Step nine: Screw on the shell you made earlier using the instructions in the other topic, and its ready for test firing!

Ranges are remarkably similar to my Titan modification. Part of this is because I’m only using stock darts. Your mileage will, of course, increase if you use stefans and longer barrels, but have fun ramming seven darts down the barrels before every shot. Using stock taggers, it reaches approximately forty feet flat. I did not plug the pump, so doing that will also likely increase your range as well. Keep in mind that this mod is not designed for high range. The spread of this thing is ridiculous. If you are within range, you almost can't miss.
There's also a hex bushing in a 1/2" adapter in the materials pic. You use that attachment for singling by sticking some 1/2" PVC into it. It will fire a stefan at standard modded BBBB ranges, which is about 90 feet.

Here is the obligatory Youtube slideshow, with a video of it being pumped and fired.

Thank you for checking out my newest mod, and may you have as much fun with it as I have.
-Bendy

Edited by BendyStraw, 11 October 2008 - 05:30 PM.

#2 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:36 PM

Nice mod all together. Sounds easy. I think 7 rounds is a little much for outdoor, but if you get close enough, this thing is VERY effective. Indoors this thing would beastly too

Edited by AJ.Z, 12 October 2008 - 09:17 AM.

#3 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:37 PM

Awesome. Much cleaner than my "Shotgun" which is a singled LS with a marvelous salvo slapped on it.....
I normally single the BBBBs that come through my hands, but that is really cool, would be great for indoor wars.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#4 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:10 PM

Um...

It's pretty cool, but you could get more range if you
1.Plugged the pump or if you did, pump it about 15 times
2. Eliminate as much dead space as possible

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I don't think you've read a thing I've written in my writeups. I nerf indoors so I don't plug pumps, and I did eliminate the dead space.

I have also singled it, by the way. I assumed that you guys would know already that you could just stick some 1/2" PVC into a hex bushing and screw it on. With the singled barrel, it gets the typical ~90' ranges with a stefan. While there is a picture of that barrel attachment in the materials picture above I can add additional pictures of it if you guys would like.

Edited by BendyStraw, 11 October 2008 - 05:24 PM.

WARNING - I'M BRUTALLY HARD TO READ!

#5 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:13 PM

Nice Bendy, I really liked your Absolver mod, and I like this one even better. Good work!!
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#6 UpperHand

UpperHand

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:11 PM

Cool, I always liked uber powerful guns (Titan, Big blast, ect) gone shotgun. I'd say to give it a sweet paintjob and it might look a little cooler though.
My SCR-6
My Homemade Sidearm
The least you could do is tell me some advice. geese!

-- Headshot 21

#7 mind13

mind13

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:11 PM

Awesome! Great mod.
Life comes at you fast yet a foam dart comes faster
Mind13

#8 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:29 PM

Out of curiosity, how come you named it the "Tsunami Scattergun, SG-7?"

Edited by TantumBull, 11 October 2008 - 06:29 PM.

#9 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:34 PM

Out of curiosity, how come you named it the "Tsunami Scattergun, SG-7?"

Eh, just needed a name, really. I think someone I knew called it that when he saw it.
And yeah, it could really use a sweet paintjob.

Edited by BendyStraw, 11 October 2008 - 07:05 PM.

#10 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:11 PM

You should cut the couple attached to the tank just a bit shorter to cut down on some dead space. If you can of course.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#11 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:21 PM

Nice mod, clean and easy to do. Good job.

Maybe it is named Tsunami for the wave of darts?
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#12 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:02 PM

Nice mod, clean and easy to do. Good job.

Maybe it is named Tsunami for the wave of darts?

Yeah, I believe that's what he said when I asked him why he called it that.

You know, cutting the male down might be a good way to get some more of the dead space outta there. However, I think it's only a couple of cubic inches max in there that's dead space. Compared to other BBBB shotgun mods in the directory, this one's pretty efficient on the dead space thing; the pvc pipe and foam in there helps a lot to prevent the air from going anywhere else in the adapter. Nevertheless, I appreciate the constructive criticism. Cutting down the adapter is a great idea should I make another one.

Edited by BendyStraw, 11 October 2008 - 09:17 PM.

#13 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:24 PM

Don't act like you explained yourself and gave an honest response.

You gave a smartass response to a legit question that was never explained.

I'm cool now that you explained yourself.

/thread

Edited by Lynx, 11 October 2008 - 09:07 PM.

Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#14 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

What I saw: TantumBull: Out of curiosity, how come you named it the "Tsunami Scattergun, SG-7?"

What you said: Eh, just needed a name, really. I think someone I knew called it that when he saw it.

My reply to TantumBull and you: Maybe it is named Tsunami for the wave of darts?

Your response: Yeah, I believe that's what he said when I asked him why he called it that.

This is my reaction to that line: If you were sarcastic: Fuck you. If you were serious: You never said ANYTHING about WHY your friend called it Tsunami.

Again: FUCK YOU.

I beg your pardon? I'm not sure why you're upset.
My FRIEND in REAL LIFE told me that he thought the blaster's fire resembled a wave of darts. I wasn't being sarcastic, and I wasn't refering to TantumBull's comment at all when I responded to your post.

Relax. Not everyone is out to make fun of you.

I'm still trying to figure out why you are so angry. If you're still pissed off for some reason, send me a PM and we can sort it out. This thread is for the discussion of the blaster itself, not for some stupid name I gave it at the last minute before I posted the topic.

#15 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:06 AM

WOAH, nice mod! Sadly, I can't find any Big-Blasts in my area, so I'm unable to do this mod...
Anyways, one of my first mods that I did was your absolver modification for the Titan, i've found it useful for multiple "organized" nerf wars. I'd like to thank you for that :)
Anyways, I noticed that you used expanding foam to keep that coupler, do you know where to get some?
Also, you said in your write-up, something along the lines of not wanting to have a bulky gun to carry around (absolver)
Well you could always minimize it and make it a pistol, then when you're done with your clips, you could switch it out with a coupler:
Posted Image
(I replaced the Maverick turret with CPVC, it works ALOT better now, but I don't have a recent picture, I also added a coupler, but never thought of using expanding foam, that's genius, eliminates dead space, AND holds the coupler in place)

Edited by Watari, 12 October 2008 - 12:15 AM.

#16 Jedijoe9

Jedijoe9

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:27 AM

Nice writeup. I always feel that the BBBB is much better suited to a shotgun setup than the titan, and you've made quite a neat little setup.

Honestly, though, the real reason I want to comment is to say: The Advanced Wars music in your video fucking rocks. I forgot how awesome that music is. Props to you, BendyStraw.
"If you watch jaws backwards it's about a huge shark that throws up so many people that they need to open a beach."

I nerf like a four year old.

#17 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:22 AM

Um...

It's pretty cool, but you could get more range if you
1.Plugged the pump or if you did, pump it about 15 times
2. Eliminate as much dead space as possible

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I don't think you've read a thing I've written in my writeups. I nerf indoors so I don't plug pumps, and I did eliminate the dead space.

I have also singled it, by the way. I assumed that you guys would know already that you could just stick some 1/2" PVC into a hex bushing and screw it on. With the singled barrel, it gets the typical ~90' ranges with a stefan. While there is a picture of that barrel attachment in the materials picture above I can add additional pictures of it if you guys would like.

Just to let you know so we're cool, I don't keep track of everyone's preference to indoor or outdoor. I wasn't suggesting YOU do the mods but for more for my future BBBB or someone elses. I read it through, but not as thoroughly as I would if I was applying this mod to a BBBB. I wrote the response pretty fast and there was more to it.

On Topic: It's a great mod for versatality so good job on that. However I would make mine more powerful and not have the versatality feature

#18 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:38 AM

Just to let you know so we're cool, I don't keep track of everyone's preference to indoor or outdoor. I wasn't suggesting YOU do the mods but for more for my future BBBB or someone elses. I read it through, but not as thoroughly as I would if I was applying this mod to a BBBB. I wrote the response pretty fast and there was more to it.

On Topic: It's a great mod for versatality so good job on that. However I would make mine more powerful and not have the versatality feature

I see. I understand what you're talking about now. You're absolutely right; if I were to nerf outdoors, this would likely have a different setup.

And I'm really glad you made something awesome with my mod idea Watari! :)

Oh, and I love Advanced Wars. I lost my copy, so I have to buy a new one :(

#19 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:22 AM

Not to Hi-jack the thread but...

Honestly, though, the real reason I want to comment is to say: The Advanced Wars music in your video fucking rocks. I forgot how awesome that music is. Props to you, BendyStraw.

Oh, and I love Advanced Wars. I lost my copy, so I have to buy a new one :)

I didn't click on the video link, but when I saw both of you talking about Advanced Wars, I decided to and noticed the music....
I LOVE Advance Wars, although I never could beat it...(er any of the games)...yet my cousin is really good at it...oh well

EDIT:
Oh yeah, on topic, I like how the clips are compatible for both guns, as in, you could use your Absolver clips for the Tsunami and vice versa...

Edited by Watari, 12 October 2008 - 10:23 AM.

#20 Guest_fadinglight4_*

Guest_fadinglight4_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:02 PM

Nice. It doesn't look all that hard and also looks very affective.

#21 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

Nice mod, but are all the barrels really getting that good of range without the pump plugged? Titans are the most powerful air cannons of nerf and 4 shot shotguns usually only get in the 70s.

#22 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

Nice mod, but are all the barrels really getting that good of range without the pump plugged? Titans are the most powerful air cannons of nerf and 4 shot shotguns usually only get in the 70s.

Yeah, this mod only does about 40 flat. It's mostly a short range secondary. Fortunately, it is light enough to be slung on the back with a strap or something so that you don't have to lug a heavy titan around just for having a shotgun shot.

#23 bassguitar95

bassguitar95

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

Awesome i did this but i wanted a bigger spread so i used a 2 in thredded cap i drilled a 3/4 in hole in the center of it and i use 2 in adaptors and they hold and shoot all Ten yes Ten stefans
Here's the link to my video:

If your at walmart and theres a sale on big blasts and apple juce
get the big blast

#24 Puppylayer

Puppylayer

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:28 PM

*Cough* NECRO! * Cough*

I would tell you to read this, but I decided to stick a link for you.
follow...MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE------->The code.

/noobish backseat moderation.

that felt somewhat satisfying.

God, I need to post a somewhat decent mod...

Edited by Puppy-§layer, 24 November 2008 - 09:29 PM.

QUOTE(nerfer9 @ Dec 26 2008, 01:34 PM) View Post

Coal? You're santa arent you! You didn't give me that bike I wanted! Prepare to die!

Also active as Slayer_of_OnE at NerfLovers!

#25 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:45 PM

*Cough* NECRO! * Cough*

I would tell you to read this, but I decided to stick a link for you.
follow...MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE------->The code.

/noobish backseat moderation.

that felt somewhat satisfying.

God, I need to post a somewhat decent mod...

Well, aside from his horrible grammar and the fact that this mod isn't THAT old, he actually added something, so I'm going to defend him and say that this wasn't a necro. However, he needs to clean up his posts and try not to pull anything like this very often.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users