Photo

Recons Recalled

59 replies to this topic

#1 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:40 AM

I thought you guys might like to know this. Here is an article my mom sent me about it at school today

HASBRO NERF BLASTER TOYS RECALLED
written by CBC News
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is recalling Nerf N-Strike Recon Blasters because a child's skin could get caught in moving parts of the toy's plunger.
Thursday's recall involves the Nerf N-Strike Recon CS-6 Blasters for children age six and up. The toy blaster is yellow with a black handle and orange plunger, trigger and reload clip. The word "Nerf" in black lettering is on both sides of the blaster and the word "Armed" is indented on the orange plunger. "Recon CS-6" is on the gray cocking mechanism.
There are five interchangeable parts including the shoulder stock, the flip-up sight, barrel extension, quick reload clip and dual-mode light beam. Model No. 63552 and UPC codes 653569272021 and 653569311218 can be found on the packaging. Only blasters with an exposed orange plunger are included in the recall.
About 330,000 of the toys were sold across the United States at Wal-Mart, Target, Toys "R" Us, discount stores and toy stores from November 2007 through August 2008 for about $20 US.
The manufacturer, Hasbro Inc., of Pawtucket, R.I., and the CPSC have received 46 reports of injury to children aged four to 12, resulting in bruising, abrasions, pinching/pinch marks, blood blisters and welts.
Consumers should immediately take the recalled toy blasters away from children and contact Hasbro at (800) 245-0910 for a free cylindrical cover to prevent additional injuries.

Interesting eh? I would be pissed if this was the LS, but the recon is so shitty, this is probably for the best.

EDIT: I believe this is only in Canada. Just wanted to get the word out so no one else gets hurt.
MSDFS

Edited by mystefansdontflystraight, 09 October 2008 - 10:43 AM.

QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#2 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:48 AM

Nobody here is age 4 to 12 and therefore shouldn't be dumb enough to hold on to the plunger while pulling the trigger.
But one should never underestimate human stupidity.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 09 October 2008 - 10:49 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 Aimless

Aimless

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

Why in the hell would people file reports of their children's stupidity?
It makes the world go round.

#4 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:20 AM

"The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission"

Not Canada.

But, I'm gonna call and try and get a cover, see if it would be a easier way to do the external recon spring mod...
Timothy M-Lick <3

#5 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:20 AM

BECAUSE THE CHILDREN NEED TO BE PROTECTED GODDAMN IT!
We can't have children just roaming around ironing their clothes while wearing them and tipping soda machines over and drinking miscellaneous cleaning products. And without the consumer product safety commission, WHO WILL PROTECT THE CHILDREN? WHO!?

Edited by Langley, 09 October 2008 - 11:22 AM.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#6 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

Let them hurt themselves, otherwise they won't learn what to and what not to do. It's simple. Enough with this protect the children bullshit, they'll find out later, and it may be worse then.

I'm gonna stop now 'cause I don't want to rant on and on about modern day parents, 'cause that'd be off topic.
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#7 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

That's bullshit. They should'nt recall a blaster because 0.000001304 of a percent of the kids who bought it pinched themselves. Out of the over quarter-million of them sold, 46 kids hurt themselves. I bet they all ride the short bus to school.
EDIT: (I know, my math is probably wrong. Please correct me if it is.)

Edited by Bomberman, 09 October 2008 - 12:20 PM.

QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#8 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:31 PM

So does that mean my recalled NIB Recon might be worth something in 30 years?
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#9 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:41 PM

Just letting you guys know that I saw this on the news.

I laughed at the news anchor's overly careful statement of the "CS-6" designation...as if ayone actually cared about the numbers and letters.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#10 CrazyIvan VI

CrazyIvan VI

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:42 PM

I'm going to file a complaint that I was also hurt upon using my Recon.

It tarnished a piece of my soul as to how shitty it was.

But on topic; things like this are just stupid. It's why kids expect everything to go their way now a days. Everything gets catered to them so they don't get hurt, that they get what they want...
I get all giddy when I see VACC browsing a stupid topic. I just know someone is going to get banned.

#11 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:47 PM

That's bullshit. They should'nt recall a blaster because 0.000001304 of a percent of the kids who bought it pinched themselves. Out of the over quarter-million of them sold, 46 kids hurt themselves. I bet they all ride the short bus to school.

But you know what? As a parent, I appreciate the effort that they are making to fix the problem. My kid is smart enough to not injure himself with his (read: my) toys, but his cousin and some of her friends... Well, it keeps me from having to calm down hysterical children. Now if I could just get them all to remember the safety glasses before they go shooting each other in the face, we'd be set.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#12 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:48 PM

Wait, does this mean that Recons are going to be pulled off the market permanently, or are they going to revise the design and put it back on the market? If the former is so, I'd better go and get myself a few Recons so I can sell them for obscene prices in a few years.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#13 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:52 PM

Kids. this is not a send it back for money recall. this is a call us for a plastic cover that you add to the gun recall. And this I think is only for the original recons with the armed tube. the 2nd gen recons already have the black tube cover. So they are likely to just send you a new plunger tube along with the new cap and cover.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#14 balisticjoe

balisticjoe

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:52 PM

I will say that I really hurt my finger when the breech was back and i put my finger in it to see if the air was reaching the dart fast enough and I pulled th trigger, and the top of the breech ripped the nail almost completely off my right pointer finger. painful.
There Are No Stupid Questions, But There Are A Lot Of Inquisitive Idiots.

#15 ddog

ddog

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:54 PM

Dang, I shouldn't have traded away my recon...

#16 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:30 PM

That's bullshit. They should'nt recall a blaster because 0.000001304 of a percent of the kids who bought it pinched themselves.
EDIT: (I know, my math is probably wrong. Please correct me if it is.)

Since you asked: 46 out of 330,000 is .014%.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#17 umdlancer

umdlancer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:32 PM

Does not compute. With the stock spring, holding onto the plunger is a surefire way to keep it from firing.

That said, the 'recall' is a good opportunity for those of us with 1st-gen Recons. It means that we won't have to build some hideous PVC contraption just to add a spring.

#18 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:37 PM

Kids. this is not a send it back for money recall. this is a call us for a plastic cover that you add to the gun recall. And this I think is only for the original recons with the armed tube. the 2nd gen recons already have the black tube cover. So they are likely to just send you a new plunger tube along with the new cap and cover.

They're not dumb enough to ask ordinary consumers to open up a Recon.

The kit includes a new cover and two screws. Two.

So its like the new version only the tube is long enough to cover the whole lenght of the original plunger tube? Still much different then them having 330,000 snet back for a refund.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#19 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:20 PM

I ordered one from bobs link. Its free, so nothing to lose.

#20 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:19 PM

more than likely this will involve some engineering feat that allows you to snap the cover on, but never be able to get it off, therefore removing all mod capabilities until you cut it off.

Edited by boisie, 09 October 2008 - 03:32 PM.

QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

#21 angelof DEATH182

angelof DEATH182

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:22 PM

Is it just me, or does the Black cover look a lot like the buffer tube on an M4?
We need an LR-300 equivalent I guess.

#22 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:26 PM

The hasbro report said it could cause injury to the chest.

The only way I could see that happening is if a fat kid was using the gun with no shirt on, and pressed the gun against his body when he used it so that his man boob got pinched.

I guess this just shows how stupid some children are. With things like this, apparently we can't just say it's the kid's fault for getting hurt, it's all because of the gun's design.

Anyway, I can already see a possibility for a mod using the new cover. Because it will be made to fit the ARMED post which is longer that the black cover of the new re-design, someone could unscrew that back part of the ARMED post that reveals a hole and put in a small spring, and attach the cover.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#23 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:29 PM

I will say that I really hurt my finger when the breech was back and i put my finger in it to see if the air was reaching the dart fast enough and I pulled th trigger, and the top of the breech ripped the nail almost completely off my right pointer finger. painful.

Thanks for being the example that got us free tube covers! Now I can tell my son "Don't be like this dumbass. It hurts when you fail to think about things before you do them."
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#24 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:31 PM

So does that mean my recalled NIB Recon might be worth something in 30 years?

I highly doubt it.

Mine has been broken forever, and I haven't bothered to fix it, so I'm not going to bother with the recall either. I have had that happen to me though, to my fingers, but only when the gun wasn't totally screwed together and I was testing it.

#25 Guest_fadinglight4_*

Guest_fadinglight4_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:43 PM

Nobody here is age 4 to 12 and therefore shouldn't be dumb enough to hold on to the plunger while pulling the trigger.
But one should never underestimate human stupidity.

Really how the hell do you do that. I used my old recon so much and this never happened.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users