Posted 15 February 2003 - 12:17 PM

Masterful, absolutely masterful.

VACC

#3 Atticus

Atticus

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 12:23 PM

I did the barrels differently, by simply pulling out that plastic "sub-section", but it does make putting in the barrels straight a bitch. Props on the ingenious way to stabalize them. I'll probably end up getting another one just for this.

#4 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 12:34 PM

Well, that's largely credit to Spoon for giving me the idea in his post. He did something similar if I'm not mistaken. I just took pictures first... :D

#5 WebbZter

WebbZter

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 01:26 PM

That looks very nice. So by cutting the barrels off behind the line there is enough room in the stubs for the PETG tubing?

#6 Devil Halo

Devil Halo

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 01:37 PM

I agree. I would of never thought of that((which deosn't say much))

#7 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 11:02 PM

Dude, just when I do a really cool mod, YOU have to go and do it BETTER. Fuck you man. :>

After the war tomorrow once I get my PETG, I'm re-doing my AT3K with 6" PETG barrels. The brass will do for tomorrow though.
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#8 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 01:44 PM

That's nice. My friend just bought an AT3K and I'll do that. This site has the best mods.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#9 Puddle of Foam

Puddle of Foam

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 08:26 PM

Nicely done. Just wondering, where do you get that PETG tubing? I didn't see any at Home Depot or Lowes. Or maybe I didn't look in the right place :huh: . It would be kept with the PVC and other tubing, correct?
Do you have the papers...?
No, but I have a big [BLEEP] gun. That's good enough for me!
-Fallout 2

If anyone was wondering, I'm RoboNerfer from NO. And I'm U.n.c.u.T.! on NerfHQ.

#10 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 11:45 PM

Unfortunately I couldn't locate a retail (or even distributor for that matter) source for PETG so I bought it from the manufacturer. In the very near future I will be shipping it to people who are interested in obtaining some.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#11 Devil Halo

Devil Halo

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 11:46 PM

Is that its exact real name?

#12 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 11:49 PM

That's it's trade name.

Probably because polyethylene terephthalate glycol doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

#13 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 11:58 PM

That's it's trade name.

Probably because polyethylene terephthalate glycol doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

That's quite a complex molecule. PETG... Polyethylene terephthalate glycol. Polyethylene is uh, a polymer, some form of plastic; terephthalate, doesn't that mean 30 or something; and then glycol, isn't that like, sugar?? So that'd mean the molecular structue is 30 atoms linked by a solid bond, or something. All I know is that it's damn complex and I'm not a freaking molecular physicsist. I'm a quantum physicsist...

That was odd.
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

#14 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 04:40 AM

for anyone deciding whether to do this mod, do it. that gun was the attack force of whatever team CXWQ was on.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#15 WebbZter

WebbZter

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 05:32 PM

Does the gun take more pumps to pressurize now that the liquid gauge has been drained?

#16 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 09:36 PM

Does the gun take more pumps to pressurize now that the liquid gauge has been drained?

A fine question.

Spoon did basically the same mod (first, I might add) but without draining the goo and with brass instead of PETG. At YANO we found that we both got about the same range at 5 pumps and neither of us could comfortably pump it beyond that.

A partial answer I know, but it's all I've got.

#17 Vassili

Vassili

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 01:55 AM

Are these At3k's really useful in a war, though? What is the approximate range on it, if it's around 80-90 it would probably be really good. Also, how does the rotating mechanism work, like is does it rotate by the trigger, pump, or air?
Foam Fortress Co-Webmaster

#18 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 02:33 AM

You can go over to the YANO thread and ask if they're good in a war... <g>

I'll save you the drama though. After the first war of the day, it was decided that having both at3ks on the same team was a poor idea. The other team really didn't stand a chance.

Until I measure it, I'd guess it's about 80' flat. Interestingly, I think the distance is limited by the pump not by the air tank size. The awkward handle and large pump tube diameter keep you from getting the tank pressure quite to where you want it.

The barrel rotation is mechanical, actuated by the pump handle. The design is conceptually similar to the SM3k but has been completely re-engineered and works much better.

#19 Dan Cromer

Dan Cromer

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 10:44 PM

What are the advantages of your PETG tubing? I can only think it might be lighter, but why is it better than brass?

#20 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 11:02 PM

In terms of strict functionality, it's only better than brass when weight is an issue - any gun with a rotating barrel is an obvious candidate.

Other than that, it's less than half the cost, much easier to cut and work with, adheres to epoxy better than brass tubing, and is available in 4' length.

On the down side, you can't do telescoping barrels with it and it's only available in one size that's useful to us.

#21 Vassili

Vassili

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 12:27 AM

What are telescoping barrels? The reason I wanted to know how the rotating mechanism worked was because I thought I could do something like the Beast but with 3k or 4k, but evidently the barrels wouldn't rotate.
Foam Fortress Co-Webmaster

#22 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 01:01 AM

actually, if you were intent on re-producing a "the beast", it would still be possible to get the barrels to rotate. you would just disconnect the pump from the air tank, and then you would just pump the pumping handle once for every barrel rotation.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#23 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 01:23 AM

What a fantastic multi barrel mod for the AT3k. When will you make PETG available to the rest of us nerfers? [drool].

Thanks for breaking the ground on this one...now where's my wire hacksaw?....
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#24 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 10:47 AM

actually, if you were intent on re-producing a "the beast", it would still be possible to get the barrels to rotate. you would just disconnect the pump from the air tank, and then you would just pump the pumping handle once for every barrel rotation.

I was wondering if I could do that. If only I could disconnect it from the rotator, pump it up a LOT (uses extended airtank and my AT/CPS mod), then disconnect the pump tube and reconnect it to the rotator, and I'd get a pump shotty. IM me if you want to see the plans for the AT/CPS. It's a partially interactive flash, but I have no where to put it.
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

#25 CS-6Recon

CS-6Recon

• Banned
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:46 PM

Sounds good
I AM A NOOOOOOOOOOB AT MODDING.

0 user(s) are reading this topic