Cosmetically, What Can I Change?

Crossbow owners, come hither.

47 replies to this topic

#26 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:47 PM

It looks super comfy, and it has lots of room all over it for integration and what-not; the SNAPbow works great, but it's so pared-down and streamlined that most integrations would require a rail.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#27 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:51 PM

It looks super comfy, and it has lots of room all over it for integration and what-not; the SNAPbow works great, but it's so pared-down and streamlined that most integrations would require a rail.

That was the point of my design. I have lots of room all over, and since its only pipe, I can easily cut it out, replace it or do anything without much remorse.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#28 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/LukeKoboJobo on Reddit

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:54 PM

When are we gonna see a pic of this beast?

#29 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:19 PM

My first SNAP or the 3d drawings of the CrossSNAP? I have a picture of the SNAP in the MNNO recap thread, and I am still working on the CrossSNAP. I Had homecoming tonight, so I didn't get to do a whole lot other then play, and one one my friends was jumped after the game, so Ive had alot to think about.

#30 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:01 AM

My first SNAP or the 3d drawings of the CrossSNAP? I have a picture of the SNAP in the MNNO recap thread, and I am still working on the CrossSNAP. I Had homecoming tonight, so I didn't get to do a whole lot other then play, and one one my friends was jumped after the game, so Ive had alot to think about.

I meant actual pics, but 3D drawings would be great too. I'm exited to see how this all comes together.

#31 Vistagecko

Vistagecko

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:59 PM

I REALLY like the look of the REV. 3. I see a lot of the crossbow in it. I look forward to a writeup.
QUOTE(The Kart Racing Nerf Man @ May 6 2009, 07:31 PM) View Post

I lubed it again and again, I don't see what an extra 2 centimeters does. I don't think I will cut it off.
BMX Forum

#32 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:19 PM

Updated with beauty of 3D rendering

#33 Rogue Warrior

Rogue Warrior

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

Have you considered makeing the foam pieces out of cheap plastic sheeting and covering it with thick foam? It would be a bit costlier but much more durable.
My GT is Spacecowboy9951

#34 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:07 PM

3/4ths
Posted Image

That is beautiful... I don't know what to say. If you actually pull this off... I don't even know man, I don't even know.

Anywho, what's the purpose of the cylinder on top? It kinda looks like the X-Bow's stock barrel. Also, what is the black going to be constructed out of? Polycarbonate?

#35 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:11 PM

High Density foam. It would make it UBER comfy

#36 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:44 PM

Updated with beauty of 3D rendering

I have a request - render that which is critical to function in a unique color, distinct from that which is cosmetic or convenience. You're partway there already, with (I guess) soft materials vs hard, but some things such as the grip handle are convenience - not cosmetic because they do have to be present, but the form they take is not essential. Others in your design are completely cosmetic, like the upper section.

There is the distinct possibility that you and I are working - from entirely different directions - toward compatible goals. I have been investigating the practicality of custom making blaster shells, through technologies such as vacuum forming. Something that I might have to charge $25 to $50 a copy for (purely a guess at this time) but which could be repeated at will. It should be obvious that I'm not interested in making anything so crossbow-like as to invite infringement litigation, but I definitely would want something with both good looks and comfort. It absolutely would learn from the crossbow, and many others, yet not be a copy of any of them.

Ok, people who might build this should already know that its a SNAP. All SNAP internals, so no need to highlight working parts or plan out all that crap. This was meant to be a purely cosmetic drawing from the start.

#37 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:24 PM

Dude. I'm impressed. It's so...pretty. The only thing I'm thinking is that the foam pieces on the stock might be cut down a bit to improve the lines, but that would be something that would get worked out as you built it anyway. Couple of questions: Are the internals going to essentially be a rev. 3 SNAPbow? And how are you planning on constructing the charging handle?
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#38 Tornado13

Tornado13

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:55 PM

Seems to me that you put a little to much foam on the stock, it looks a little high and oblong.

#39 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:06 PM

Ok, people who might build this should already know that its a SNAP. All SNAP internals, so no need to highlight working parts or plan out all that crap. This was meant to be a purely cosmetic drawing from the start.

Then please supply a link to the correct SNAP writeup. There seem to be about twenty versions.

My original, and Rork's hyper-tweaked version. Mechanically, they're pretty much identical, but rork's gets another 30-40 feet of range.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#40 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:11 AM

It's cool looking, but I think your getting too caught up in appearance. You seem to have already have the performance aspect of the x-bow down. The only other two things you need are comfort and ease of integration. The foam up front would add more comfort but the foam on the top and bottom of the stock doesn't really serve a purpose.

#41 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:06 PM

It's cool looking, but I think your getting too caught up in appearance. You seem to have already have the performance aspect of the x-bow down. The only other two things you need are comfort and ease of integration. The foam up front would add more comfort but the foam on the top and bottom of the stock doesn't really serve a purpose.

True it serves no purpose but its cool...

And ease of integration is something I was looking into aswell, and since its pipe, I can just take it off and put on new stuff.

#42 ejrasmussen

ejrasmussen

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:55 PM

Gah , how in the world did you do that in google sketch-up.

#43 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:03 AM

Gah , how in the world did you do that in google sketch-up.

Lots of use of the offset tool, the push/pull tool and alot of drawing in stuff by hand. keep in mind, it took a week.

#44 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:27 PM

I'd like to add that'd if you succeeded in making these, I'd buy one. Seems like a more crossbowish +bow that's mabye even cheap enough for me...

#45 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:41 PM

The end price would be about $50 dollars, and thats without a barrel.

But I am making progress. I spent today making the Plunger assembly, and its all working. The handle was a bit hard, seeing as how I just bent in out of a solid piece of aluminum pipe. It has wire reinforcements and band hondlers, similar to Carrtoon's crossbow plunger rod.

#46 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:33 PM

But I am making progress. I spent today making the Plunger assembly, and its all working. The handle was a bit hard, seeing as how I just bent in out of a solid piece of aluminum pipe. It has wire reinforcements and band hondlers, similar to Carrtoon's crossbow plunger rod.

Sounds good. 50 dollars is less than a crossbow or a plusbow so I'm happy. If I ordered one, could I customize it a little for my needs? I don't like that barrel thing at the top, but I'll check the diagram again.

#47 Llama Boy

Llama Boy

• Banned
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:33 PM

Can we see how it looks so far?
Truce.

#48 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:46 PM

Sounds good. 50 dollars is less than a crossbow or a plusbow so I'm happy. If I ordered one, could I customize it a little for my needs? I don't like that barrel thing at the top, but I'll check the diagram again.

I dont like the barrel thing at the top either, so Im not making one.

And sure, I can see what I can do about that. Time to go get it from my basement.

I would customize any aspect of the SNAP to fit your needs. Anything i can eliminate or change is good. Im flexible like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users