Cosmetically, What Can I Change?

Crossbow owners, come hither.

47 replies to this topic

#1 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:39 PM

I am designing a cheap alternative to the +bow, and Crossbow that deals with the two things I know are important about Crossbows. The Range, and the comfort. I can attest for the range of +bows, however the Rev 1 was really really uncomfortable even for my big hands.Something that seems to be rectified for the Rev2. The SNAP Bow, getting similar ranges to the Crossbow, was a good substitute, but fairly low end in terms of comfort and looks. It was a SNAP with a stock.

Im trying to design a SNAP, based off both Carbon, and Rork's work, using the best of both designs, however, I have figured out what makes a Crossbow a Crossbow. Its not the range, not the accuracy, its the look. All else is second nature to how it looks. I have come up with an easy to achieve cosmetic design, but it still doesn't look quite right. I would love some help perfecting it, so thats where your eyes come in. What makes this still no look like a Crossbow? Keep in mind I am working mainly with PVC pipe, so most of it will end up being curved and such, but what else can I do?

Here is the current stages of design I have went through.

Posted Image
That was the initial design. Crappy huh? But it was a rough... done in paint

Posted Image
This is the V2, revamped and whatnot, but it still doesn't have that Crossbow Flare. Im trying to get as close as I can here.

Suggestions? Internals are not a problem, as this is a simple gun.

Posted Image
Rev 3. All the gray stuff is gonna be made made out of thick foam.

Side
Posted Image

3/4ths
Posted Image

Money Shot
Posted Image

Edited by BustaNinja, 05 October 2008 - 08:18 PM.

Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#2 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:41 PM

The shell could do with some lengthening.
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#3 nerfer9

nerfer9

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:42 PM

Try to keep the crossbow-like trigger and not a clothespin one.

#4 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:42 PM

The shell could do with some lengthening.

How long is the whole shell of the Crossbow? The pressure chamber on this SNAP is about 14 inches from coupler to beginning of the stock. Is that the correct scale aswell?

Clothespin trigger is kinda mandatory, seeing as anything else would require machines I have no access to. Im keeping it simple, however, a trigger guard would be possible.

Edited by BustaNinja, 29 September 2008 - 08:44 PM.

#5 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:49 PM

The main thing about the crossbow is the reliability. As I had it explained to me all weekend by the three crossbow owners I spent it with, it's just three moving parts: the plunger, the catch and the trigger. You can use a crossbow for years and replace or fix any part in it pretty easily. Jlego fixed his in the middle of the DCNO.

Cosmetically, you're missing the entire spot where the stock barrel is.. And yours design is really short. The +bow is the crossbow. Just make it. Cut the plexi to look how you want and paint it Barney purple if it really matters that much.
Teehee.

#6 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:51 PM

The main thing about the crossbow is the reliability. As I had it explained to me all weekend by the three crossbow owners I spent it with, it's just three moving parts: the plunger, the catch and the trigger. You can use a crossbow for years and replace or fix any part in it pretty easily. Jlego fixed his in the middle of the DCNO.

Cosmetically, you're missing the entire spot where the stock barrel is.. And yours design is really short. The +bow is the crossbow. Just make it. Cut the plexi to look how you want and paint it Barney purple if it really matters that much.

See, Im poor as hell. Im trying to capture the essense of the Crossbow without the cost of either +bow or Crossbow.

#7 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:59 PM

It looks to me like the handle is a little out of ratio to the rest of the gun. See here how the handle is much more compact in comparison:

Posted Image
I also think that the curvyness adds to the attraction of the gun. Just some suggestions.

#8 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:10 PM

It looks to me like the handle is a little out of ratio to the rest of the gun. See here how the handle is much more compact in comparison:

Posted Image
I also think that the curvyness adds to the attraction of the gun. Just some suggestions.

Thank you. I will adjust the handle size. It was always a bit to big in the SNAP design anyway

#9 nerfer192

nerfer192

• Banned
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:14 PM

Um you could ass some curve to the buttstock to form to your shoulder better, just an idea.

EDIT: haha, I wrote ass instead of add.

Edited by nerfer192, 29 September 2008 - 09:14 PM.

The first time I made stefans I made them without weights.

92% of teens have moved on to the N-Strike line.
If you are part of the 8% who still use real old guns,
copy and paste this into your signature

woot I use at3k.

#10 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:54 PM

Um you could ass some curve to the buttstock to form to your shoulder better, just an idea.

EDIT: haha, I wrote ass instead of add.

makes sense in my mind. I often compare Ass to curve anyway. Should I take ideas from my girlfriend or is that going a bit to far?

Anyway, that will all be adden in with foam, but I shoud draw that out. Im trying to foam up the shell as much as I can to make it super comfy and more durable.

#11 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:59 PM

Actually, I find the SNAPbow to be very comfy; I also never use it stockless. The main thing with the SNAPbow is the issue of limited space; all the parts have to go in specific places. For example: there's only a stock piece on top, because the handle has to go on the endcap to achieve full spring compression. The good news? I'm working on that right now. When I finish the SNAPbow 3.0, you'll see what I mean. It'll be interesting to see what we both come up with. ~Rork
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#12 MercenaryXero

MercenaryXero

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

Well, the crossbow has a squared-off design, whereas this would need to be rounded. (PVC) If you sheathed the main tube in some kind of shell, it could replicate the original design better.

#13 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:38 PM

If you wanted it to be very crossbow-y, and you're going to start adding material, I would look into fabricating a simplified shell from either polycarbonate or polyester sheeting. My guess is that the cheaper polyester would be fine, since it's the plunger tube that absorbs the beating in a SNAP, rather than the frame, as in a +bow.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#14 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:44 PM

If you wanted it to be very crossbow-y, and you're going to start adding material, I would look into fabricating a simplified shell from either polycarbonate or polyester sheeting. My guess is that the cheaper polyester would be fine, since it's the plunger tube that absorbs the beating in a SNAP, rather than the frame, as in a +bow.

Cost is still an issue. I can get the foam very cheap, whereas, polycarbonate would cost me a pretty penny, and I am out of funding, unless my mother gives the ok for the supplies for a +bow, in that case, i will just make that and modify it accordingly. Plus, I have all the materials. Im just trying to get something Crossbowie that I can use as my all around primary. Thats about it.

#15 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:50 PM

I'm really liking the Rev. 3. Excellent work. I can't wait to see this thing built and then make one for myself!

#16 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:03 PM

I'm really liking the Rev. 3. Excellent work. I can't wait to see this thing built and then make one for myself!

Thanks. Since the parts will be trial and error, i will post a writeup for this. Its gonna be alot of cutting and mainly a cosmetic mod anyway, but oh well.

And Im thinking of painting it Barney Purple. Good idea or no?

#17 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:25 AM

Yes.

You will paint your gun Barney purple.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#18 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:53 AM

What are the internals going to be like?

#19 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:37 AM

Im trying to design a SNAP, based off both Carbon, and Rork's work, using the best of both designs...

I assume a basic SNAP-like design with your plunger head.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#20 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:38 PM

Im trying to design a SNAP, based off both Carbon, and Rork's work, using the best of both designs...

I assume a basic SNAP-like design with your plunger head.

I thought it was straight forward, but thank you for explaining it to him.

HAHA. editing this on my new Laptop. Just thought I should share that. Now time to game.

Edited by BustaNinja, 01 October 2008 - 06:31 PM.

#21 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

This is a +bow stock I crapily dressed up for comfort a while back modeled somewhat after the crossbow stock. I used model magic and it went on a SNAP that looked somewhat like a crossbow/+bow.
(The stock uses dowels)
Posted Image
Posted Image
I didn't make the stock like this on my real +bow, but I hope it gives you some ideas for your project. Model Magic is rather comfy too.

A side of nerf
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#22 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:00 PM

Ha. I can't wait to show my two or three days of hard work in the form of a 3D version... Buahahahaha

#23 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:23 PM

About my post: I should have been more specific. I was wondering about how the internals would be built: handle attachment(s), spring type, plunger stroke length, trigger construction/placement, whether the front would be a coupler/bushing or an internal bushing, etc.

Aside: I actually like that stock concept. Not the wooden dowels so much (maybe if they were painted, stined, and varnished), or the tabs on the back, really, but just the sense of curviness and solidity it gives. It just looks comfy. ~Rork

PS: Looking forward to the 3-dimensionality of it all...

EDIT: I just got an eyeful of your SNAP over in the MNNO Recap thread...damn. Your skills are great.

Edited by rork, 01 October 2008 - 10:05 PM.

#24 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:12 PM

If i can say something as someone who's never actually held a x-bow before, but from the looks of it the x-bow is alot skinnier than what you've cooked up.

I realize that a homemade version will be more likely rounded than the rectangular shape of the original, but maybe you could just make the internals the way you want (and to the right specifications bearing the desired output) and just make your own shell to make it have a feel of a x-bow.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#25 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:40 PM

If i can say something as someone who's never actually held a x-bow before, but from the looks of it the x-bow is alot skinnier than what you've cooked up.

I realize that a homemade version will be more likely rounded than the rectangular shape of the original, but maybe you could just make the internals the way you want (and to the right specifications bearing the desired output) and just make your own shell to make it have a feel of a x-bow.

To much work. I am a self proclaimed god with a dremel, and Im just trying to get the overall feel for it and color wise. Its also improving on what I hated about the Xbow. The stock is way to short for my hulking frame, so it feels more like a toy (not that it isnt) then the precise instrument of death that the Xbow should be.

Also, Thank you Rork. It took me all of 3 months (from concept to completion) and I spent maybe 5 minutes a day when I was actually working. its not a very hard design, but it looks beastly, even unpainted. I spent many a World History period drawing up designs for this gun (in between making jokes and texting of course)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users