Indoor Nerf

Anyone play indoor?

29 replies to this topic

#1 Boss18

Boss18

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:02 PM

When we modify our gns we do it withg the intention of it shooting straight for more than 50 feet so we can shoot it outside.Me and my friends play inside.It adds a level of difficulty to modifying because you are constantly asking yourself, " is this shooting too strong?".Another benifit of indoor nerf is you can use the less used guns because they only travel about 30 feet, which indoors its pretty good.So i ask you peoples, Does anyone here nerf indoors?
D0 U LiK3Z /\/\UDkIpZ? http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Burnboy85 <--- Clicky Cliky!

#2 Red Star

Red Star

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:03 PM

Almost everyone does. Indoor wars are fun because you can use stock guns and still "Own" with it. Also you get to use an Atom Blaster and Take someone out with it. Always a Bonus.
Red Star's Big Rad Bow W/ Red Star Breech
The Red Star Breech

Xbox Live- IS2DI RedStar Add me if your up for some games

#3 Natbeanz

Natbeanz

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:33 PM

I play indoor nerf, its fun .Me and my friends play on my stairs, but it has its downsides eg: Loose darts extremly easily.

-NB
QUOTE(Groove @ Jan 8 2009, 05:11 PM) View Post

Do me a favor, take a deep breath, and get some of that sand out of your vagina.

WARNING - I'M BRUTALLY SEXY

#4 nerfa28

nerfa28

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:04 PM

I always do nerf indoors. it is so better because it is the only place where I can use a modded NF as a Primary! :D but searously it is lot better than outdoors because there is a lot more things to like hide in and behind and yeah......

#5 Shadowblade

Shadowblade

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:09 PM

I haven't played an indoor war in a while. These wars have a different set of strategies than outdoors (haha, I play indoor wars with a Tek6. No joke, they don't jam like Mavs do).

Side note: can some of you please clean up your posting a little? I won't point fingers, just giving some advice. /backseat mod
Proverbs says, "The wise man doth not shoot the Viking in the ding ding for he shall pummel thee."

But you can totally shoot Vacc there, he loves it!

~Talio

#6 perezinthenet

perezinthenet

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:42 PM

I only Nerf inside because we only have like 4-6 kids so its much easier and as said before, its easy for kids to play because a cpvcd nightfinder is considered an awesome primary

#7 bamblack2000

bamblack2000

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:44 PM

I love indoor nerfing since when outside the darts will go across the street.

P.S. Clean up the grammar and read the CoC because the administrators here won't forgive, they ban.

#8 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:54 AM

Me and my friends nerf in complete darkness. Darkness, as in one of them was walkling cautiously through the other teams territory, and was suddenly shot by someone who was right in front of them, watching the whole time.

I use two Lanyard Mavs Indoors, and they have served me well. (Mavericks that you cock via a Lanyard around your neck, allowing you to duel-wield them effectively). The Vulcans also see play, and are godly indoors.

You know all the Matrix shit that happens in outdoor nerf? Mulitply it by 1000 and make all the mavericks, vulcans, and magstrikes useful, and you have indoor nerf. Darts flying everywhere, people jumping around, shooting at each other, dodging darts, literally bouncing off the fucking walls, all within 5-10' ranges. It's hilariously awesome.

Nerf rocks no matter where it's happening.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#9 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:26 AM

I nerf indoors. As long as we keep all the darts stock, most mods work fine. Anything in a clip doesn't work well modded because of the lack of stefans though. Still, Mavericks and stock Recons are useful in indoor wars, so mods for ridiculous range isn't really that big of an issue.

And yeah, a CPVC'd NF is the Cadillac of indoor nerf wars.
WARNING - I'M BRUTALLY HARD TO READ!

#10 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:42 AM

It sounds like most people here are talking about playing in a residential building (i.e. house, apartment, mobile home, etc) when they say "indoors". I also play indoors, but in a larger building - my church. My wife and I are sponsors for the youth group, and we play decent-sized games (10-30 people usually) throughout the church building (with a few areas off-limits, like the secretary's office, the boiler room, bathrooms, etc) and with very few light on.

It is a very interesting experience, sneaking through the dark in a large building with lots of long hallways and small rooms. You have some areas (the hallways, the sanctuary, the fellowship hall) where range is king, and other areas (classrooms, stairwells, shorter hallways, nursery) where ROF and cover are much more important.

We play team elimination, team CTF, Free-for-all, VIP, king of the hill, territories and all manner of other games that really keep you on your toes, especially in the varying environments.

If outdoor Nerfing is all about mobility, range and accuracy, then indoor Nerfing (in my experience) is all about stealth, cover, ROF and cunning. We have areas where you just know somebody is going to launch an ambush, so you need to be careful there. Those spots can slow you down even if nobody is actually there, just due to the potential of an ambush!

I've played outdoors on a small scale, so I don't have a whole lot of reference for making a good comparison, but I love indoor Nerfing, and I can't see giving it up any time soon. (Though I would like to try and make it to some of the nearby outdoor wars next year if possible.)
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#11 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:45 PM

On an off note here:Ambience### how large is the church you play in?

#12 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:53 PM

I don't really enjoy the pacing or hide-and-go-seek nature of indoor wars.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#13 Firefox551

Firefox551

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:04 PM

I play indoor when I don't have a lot of people, because a park is a bit too big for three people. We also use H2H weapons a lot in indoor wars. One of my friend's favorite moves is leaping over a bed screaming with a foam sword.
"Whats algebra? I like pudding." - My friend Luke

"We have to remember what we all have in common, and why we are here. Our shared love of shooting things, and each other with little foam darts." - Niaja Blue

#14 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:29 PM

Steel City Nerf got started with indoor wars. And while there are places that promote standoffs (which aren't much fun), there are also places that promote close quarters battles that are just plain awesome. And we've never had anything remotely hide-and-seek-like...perhaps ambushes and lots of cover-taking, but that's all.

Furthermore, I really don't understand what is so cool about playing in the dark. *shrugs*

Here are some pictures from a war we had in July, showing "The Awesome Room" with moveable walls/panels (we didn't move them mid-round, of course).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

On the other hand, this wall is a little ways away from The Awesome Room, across an expanse of coverless "desert" (think: treeline standoff):
Posted Image
And this hallway...well, let's just say that I refer to it as "No Man's Land":
Posted Image
Both of the above promote standoffs since a small amount of cover is available which is not near other cover but is in range of other cover. The result: long, boring standoffs.

Edit: For more, see here.

Edited by jwasko, 29 September 2008 - 08:36 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#15 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:37 PM

I use very strong guns because all the guys I nerf with refuse to admit hits, so I just bring them down. And having a high RoF doesn't mean shit when everyone is lethally accurate. But I like both, and am very happy with having both.
American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

#16 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:17 PM

Furthermore, I really don't understand what is so cool about playing in the dark. *shrugs*

Mind Games.

For example, at one such "dark war" we decided to put two recon lasers on the only vulcan in play, making it look like a demon's eyes in the dark. One team had the Vulcan propped up on a pool table guarding the entrance to the area they were defending. Anyone walking into that room would see nothing besides the "devil eyes", and then get shot as they realized what those cheap "lasers" were attached to.

This continued for a few rounds, until the opposing team decided to fuck with our minds. They detached the lights from the Vulcan and set them on the pool table, spaced the same as they were on the vulcan. In the dark, you couldn't tell the difference. I ran in at the start of the round, and somehow ended up right in front of the lights. I stared at them for a second, wondering why I wasn't being shot. Then I thought to myself "hey, they're not using the Vulcan, it's just sitting there!" I snuck around the corner, thinking all they had was a DTG and a NF between them, and suddenly got 7 darts in my face, from the vulcan. Then my teammate, also believing the vulcan was not currently in play, got owned as well. It was fucking hilarious.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#17 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:03 AM

On an off note here:Ambience### how large is the church you play in?

It isn't huge, but it isn't tiny. The sanctuary is roughly the size of a typical high-school cafeteria or a small gymnasium (roughly big enough for one full basketball court). There are a few other rooms that are about half that size (though with much lower ceilings), and then there are about a half-dozen small classrooms. The building is two-stories, with the basement about 75% dug-in to the ground, and the upper floor directly above it, connected by a vestibule that is halfway between the two. (There is also a back stairwell, making for a great full-loop flow to the building which prevents you from getting pinned down completely anywhere outside of one of the smaller classrooms.)

Basically, it isn't nearly as much space as a typical school building or dorm, but plenty of room for the size of games we play.

We play some games with the lights on (King of the Hill primarily), but we like the added stealth aspects and confusion caused by playing in near-dark conditions. You see someone, and you have to figure out if they are on your team or not before you fire. You hear movement at the front of the sanctuary, but you can't identify the source. Are they up in the choir loft, or down by the piano? Maybe they are sneaking, belly-crawl style, under the pews? No wait - they have a teammate coming up right behind you!!!

It is fun. Like Slug said, it can be a slower pace, and involve more hide-and-seek atmosphere, but that can be really fun sometimes. And if you don't like that, just throw some objectives into the mix and watch the teams fight it out for control or try to set up perfect ambushes. It is a different style of play, and it might not be right for everyone - but I suggest you try it before you dismiss it as being no fun. (If you have tried it, by all means stick to your opinion!)
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#18 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:24 AM

Well, I did say that I didn't "see" what was fun about it...thank you (Ambience and Assassin) for pointing it out to me.

There was one instance where we played in the dark...my team gathered in a room with many pieces of furniture (that is, much cover) and someone had the brilliant idea to turn the lights off. The end result: we were bumbling around in the dark while the other team (who were outside in the light and could just see or hear enough to know where we were) picked us off one by one. Eventually, someone turned the lights on and it was more enjoyable.

But, yeah, to each his own...and, it all depends on your (and your fellow players') styles and likes/dislikes, as well as your environment. I prefer a highly mobile, (relatively) close quartes fight, particularly since I can't seem to aim in real situations very well.

Standoffs usually see me throwing dart after dart at the opposing team without any effect other than (perhaps) suppression. It gets really old really fast.

Edited by jwasko, 30 September 2008 - 09:25 AM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#19 akmetan

akmetan

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:34 AM

I would almost swear that Assassin and Ambience are guys in my group because what your talking about it exactly how we nerf.

Like Ambience my group also nerfs at our church, but we do so almost exclusively in the dark. Mostly we do room clearing and I can attest to both the pro's and the con's of this style game. It can be intensely amusing to launch a successful ambush or to take a guy out from a darkened hall. On the other hand, when a group wedges themselves in a room that is suicide to assault, things can get drug out.

The only other game we play though is what we call "Arena" which is probably closer to what goes on outdoors. We split into two teams, go to opposite ends of the cafeteria, someone yells go and everyone charges. These rounds tend to be swift and brutal opposed to the Room Clearing which is slow and cautious.

As for the weaponry, well, I'm the only one in my group actually crazy enough to start modding the blasters. However it does seem that my PETG NF always goes out and is a favorite. I usually carry my PETG TTG as my secondary to my recon, which is currently under the modding knife.

The only thing I don't care for is that hits can be more a matter of luck than skill. Sometimes it's just not possible to draw a bead on someone in low light situations, especially considering the rounds we use don't always fly straight.

But all in all, still a great way to play.
"Budo is a lot like life. You make mistakes. You learn. You sweat. You cry. You grow. By training in budo, you will come to be able to solve any of life's dilemmas. The answer will just be there." ~ Dr. Masaaki Hatsumi

#20 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:33 AM

I think indoor nerf is where we all start off. I used to run around my freind's house with a chain blazer, diving into couch forts when I was only 6. When I got a little older, I used to tape finger lights to the side of my tek 10 and wait untill it war dark, then have a nerf war. Then I moved on to base wars in my huge attic, and the firefly actually seemed cool in the dark, seeing streaks of light wizzing over your head.

I had always tried outdoor nerf, but it was too easy to dodge the darts and my guns didn't have enough range. When I found Nerf Haven, I was able to upgrade my guns to be of some use outdoors. I still have base wars in the attic, but my freinds tell me I'm not allowed to use my LS or my NF, because they both hurt like hell at less than 40'.

I think indoor nerf is great, because its the only place where a recon is really good, and the firefly is actually intimidating, and full auto guns are not just ammo feeders. It's a completely different game indoors. More aiming in base wars, less in dark wars. Indoor nerf is oviously the most popular form, because of nerf's target audience.

I prefer outdoor wars, because you have to make your shots count, where indoors there are darts everywhere and your just spraying your shots anyhow.

sorry this was boring

-Wes
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#21 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:12 PM

I always nerf with 2 of my buddies on my team, with me rushing and the other 2 giving suppressive fire. And in a 2-bed apartment. Trust me don't use Titans indoors, 'cause it's all fun & games until someone breaks a window, gets seriously hurt, or someone calls the cops........ Don't ask. Please.

P.S. Don't Nerf with super powerful guns indoors without tarps over the windows. Trust me.
American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

#22 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:55 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The building the UMD nerfers hosted their January war in last year was absolutely phenomimal. If they can pull it off again I'll have have a more substantial crew of ass-kickers with me this go 'round.

Also, punctuation is mandatory. I'm gonna stop giving warnings and start giving compulsory vacations pretty soon.

#23 BustaDartInYOurAss

BustaDartInYOurAss

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:37 PM

Jwasko, my neck hurts from turning so many directions... can you please make them straight, if possible. Also, I think nerfing indoors is great.( Taking into consideration that you dont break any of you mothers "fine china")

Edited by BustaDartInYOurAss, 23 October 2008 - 06:38 PM.

#24 Oni Kadaki

Oni Kadaki

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:08 PM

Pretty much all of our wars are indoors. I like the tactical decisions indoor fights force you to make. How to round a corner for example.

#25 Connor

Connor

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:55 PM

I normally play indoor wars because theres not that many people that like nerf i know.
Opinions are like Assholes, Everyone has one.

F_A 24 is the KING of nerf.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users