Photo

Give Nerfers Some Respect

42 replies to this topic

#1 m14

m14

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:26 PM

I have found that people laugh at nerfers that are older than like 10. Paintballers gain respect when they play good, but when we talk about how well we did, people just laugh. I think we should get respect for constantly putting our reputations on the line whenever we nerf. We all know that most of us could be more accurate at a farther distance than someone that has spent like hundreds or thousands of dollars making their paintball gun "good". We spend $100 if that making a longshot incredible. We should get the credit, we should get the respect. All they do is buy the parts and then put them in. We may be wusses(sorry I don't know how to spell that), but we have good creative minds. We spend countless hours working on a gun, while they(mostly refering to paintballers, but really any other action pursuit sport like airsoft) just buy a gun, buy upgrades for it, and then insert them into the gun (I felt that point must be made twice). I think we should really get more respect than what we get.

PS: I wasn't sure what categorie to put this in so don't get mad.
I believe in the true lord Joseph Stalin. Problem?

#2 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:31 PM

What kind of response were you expecting from this post on a NERF forum?

#3 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:32 PM

Shoot someone with a plugged Titan at 20 feet, and then let me know if they still think youre a wussy. Haha.
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#4 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:37 PM

CROW I think the same thing. One kid said "Oh I'm so scared of a foam dart" it pisses me off.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#5 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:38 PM

Shoot someone with a plugged Titan at 20 feet, and then let me know if they still think youre a wussy. Haha.

What you gotta do it get a paintballer, get a nerfer with a titan, and tell them that in 10 seconds they will be able to shoot reclessly at each other for about 5 seconds. Who do you think will be in more pain. I dont paintball, and Im totally on the Nerf side with you guys, but dont compare a nerf blaster to a paintball gun.
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#6 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:41 PM

We may be wusses(sorry I don't know how to spell that), but we have good creative minds.

Who are you calling a Wuss?
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#7 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:44 PM

You said it Angel.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"

#8 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:45 PM

Respect is earned, not demanded.
And there are many people whose respect it is not worth the effort of trying to obtain.

I don't care about the opinions of other hobbies, because frankly they don't really relate or compete in any way with this one.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 27 September 2008 - 09:47 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#9 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:47 PM

I've got an idea kick some ass. Rokor you forgot a backpack airtank and a deodorant clip.

Edited by Longshot Wielder, 27 September 2008 - 09:49 PM.

Favorite Quotes:

#10 m14

m14

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:51 PM

What kind of response were you expecting from this post on a NERF forum?

I never expected many or any replies. I just wrote this because i felt it needed to be said. I'll say it on a paintball site and see if I get flamed.

#11 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:53 PM

The whole attraction of nerf is that it's totally silly; if you don't realize that, you need to reconsider the way you approach the hobby. Silliness is a GOOD thing; we strip away all the mil-sim bullshit and machismo that surrounds sports like paintball and airsoft, and are left with the thing itself: combat-based TAG. When you don't worry about impressing the rest of the world, you can focus on talent. There is a tremendous amount of synaptic activity on this forum, which is a really special thing in this age of mass mediocrity. I like the fact that we are a pretty underground group, and are likely to stay that way. Geekiness gives us an opportunity to look past the kinds of superficialities that tend to permeate sports. ~Rork

Edited by rork, 27 September 2008 - 09:54 PM.

<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#12 Aimless

Aimless

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:00 PM

The whole attraction of nerf is that it's totally silly; if you don't realize that, you need to reconsider the way you approach the hobby. Silliness is a GOOD thing; we strip away all the mil-sim bullshit and machismo that surrounds sports like paintball and airsoft, and are left with the thing itself: combat-based TAG. When you don't worry about impressing the rest of the world, you can focus on talent. There is a tremendous amount of synaptic activity on this forum, which is a really special thing in this age of mass mediocrity. I like the fact that we are a pretty underground group, and are likely to stay that way. Geekiness gives us an opportunity to look past the kinds of superficialities that tend to permeate sports. ~Rork

Also, the awesomeness of charging into a hail of enemy fire while dodging shots is something thats unique to Nerfing.
It makes the world go round.

#13 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:07 PM

I like your thinking rork. Like Groove once said, Nerf is silly. Airsofties like realism and think it's cool. Nerfers think color and performance is cool (A pink longhot). You can't compare the two. It's like comparing Peanut Butter to an ostrich. Not gonna make sense.
There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#14 m14

m14

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:12 PM

Also, the awesomeness of charging into a hail of enemy fire while dodging shots is something thats unique to Nerfing.

I like your thinking! You make a lot of sense.

#15 BustaDartInYOurAss

BustaDartInYOurAss

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:18 PM

Who gives a shit, we all respect eachother and thats enough (at least it is for me). I have two friends that were making fun of me so i offered to have a war and they said whatever. By the end of that war i had both of them begging me to lend them a gun. Anyway back on topic, i dont think we should give a shit what other people think. If people think there elite because of there hobbie, well then fuck them. WE love what we do and that is all that matters.

#16 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:40 PM

Silliness is a GOOD thing; we strip away all the mil-sim bullshit and machismo that surrounds sports like paintball and airsoft, and are left with the thing itself: combat-based TAG.

Most of the time you'll find the same "mil-sim is bullshit" attitude among your more serous paintball players. The paramilitary types are usually newer or LARP like scenario game players. Those players who begin playing tournaments and view paintball as a sport are more into color and flash as well.

I like both for some vary different reasons (and many of the same ones).

Lets face it, dodge ball with air rifles is fun!
QUOTE(rork @ Sep 22 2008, 05:34 PM) View Post

Wanting a realistic nerf gun is like wanting a dildo that looks like a katana.

#17 xbox180

xbox180

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:54 AM

I have 2 paintball guns and they are fun to mess around in my backyard but the cost of paintballs is not that cheap and I don't like to have to go to the store in order paintballs, and on the other hand you can reuse the darts but the paintballs are 1 shot. I shot my friend on the back of the neck and now he sticks to nerf. :blush:
"Congrats on Buy a Peice of Plastic thats most likely older than you, for half- a grand, your awesome man." Nerf Monkey

My Webpage
MY Youtube

#18 fly rev-8

fly rev-8

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:36 AM

We many be wossies, but that's only because all of our power is in our nerf guns. I can understand your feelings about this. At school it somehow got out that I modify nerf guns and now there are these guys that are always asking me to modify their guns in a sarcastic tone of voice. But I just think to myself, "Oh well these guys just don't get it. How could they ever? I bet they would if I were to stick them in front of a longshot with marble tiped stefans." It is at this point that I usually envision them actually getting shot everywhere.(I would say their balls but they probably don't have any. I also envision shooting ohio state fans in the same way since they don't have balls either.)

POWER TO THE NERFERS!

#19 veginator

veginator

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:27 AM

We have some people in the neiborhood we nerf in who are constantly making fun of us. Last time they were yelling crap like FAGGOTS!! or GET A LIFE!! while riding in there golf cart. But these paintballing rednecks were paying to much attention to us and started to veer into the other lane where they were nearly hit by a pickup.

#20 Shadowblade

Shadowblade

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:50 AM

I agree with everyone that respect is something that must be earned.

I have a friend who thought I was crazy when I told her I played nerf as a sport and as a hobby. She gave me this omgyouareinsane kinda looks. So one day, when she was over at my home for something, I pulled out a converted watergun and loaded a stefan. Fired it through several layers of thick cardboard right in front of her face. The head ripped off and went flying about 150ft away while the body embeded itself in the last piece of cardboard. Since then, she's taken me pretty seriously.

For those who still think we're crazy even after we show them the potential in nerf guns, there is really nothing we can do about them. Nerf is still our hobby, no matter what their opinions. Besides, who doesn't like to see the look on their faces when they get a nice welt from a foam-shooting toy gun?
Proverbs says, "The wise man doth not shoot the Viking in the ding ding for he shall pummel thee."

But you can totally shoot Vacc there, he loves it!

~Talio

#21 mocky

mocky

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:13 AM

People can say/ think what ever they want about us, as long as they don't harass you, or abuse you for your hobby. Not to sound like your mother or a teacher, but those guys really get off when you ratify their behavior with a response. They don't necessarily despise the fact that your playing with nerf, but they like it when they can demean some one and cause a scene.

What's with this "Let me shoot them with a plugged titan and see what they think". If you genuinely care about what those "rednecks" say and you want to prove your point, then maybe its time to paintball instead. Nerf is nerf, toy guns that shoot foam darts which cause little damage to the surrounding area and people. Let me remind you, Nerf was originally a product line of foam balls which were advertised as a ball that wouldn't break household items and the nerf guns are a continuation of that concept. This begs the question, do we mod our guns to improve the dismal stock ranges, or to try to create a weapon capable of harm and overkill for nerf wars?

Edited by mocky, 28 September 2008 - 10:15 AM.

#22 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:21 AM

I agree with most of what has been said already. I have many friends when I say I play Nerf they laugh, Then I just think to my self I wonder if they would change there mind if someone shot them with a Doomsayer.

EDIT: In conclusion, I think nerf is better then airsoft or paintball. I have only played paint ball one time and its going to stay like that

Edited by Icespartan_1114, 28 September 2008 - 10:28 AM.

QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#23 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:26 AM

In all honesty, I would have to say that nerving is better. I've wanted to play air soft, one of my friends are trying to get me into paint ball.

I'm an Eagle Scout and I know damn well how to be thrifty and if I'm going to shoot a projectile that I can't reuse, why do it?

Plus, there's always the aforementioned modification/fabrication of the blasters which you just can't do with airsoft and paintball.

AND Nerf blasters are more welcome on campus' than paint ball markers and air soft guns.

Just my thoughts.
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#24 jake44

jake44

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:13 AM

I always tell people that think nerfing is stupid, let me shoot u with one, and they are always like fine. Then i pull out my titan, and they start to get scared, and i show them a stefan, and they freak out because it has a hard tip.
(The infinite Shindig)
And For the record, my butt looks incredible in spandex. wink.gif

#25 Rover

Rover

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:31 AM

I love people who get upset when people laugh at Nerf. Maybe the reason these people laugh at you is because you're approaching Nerf in the wrong way. Its supposed to be a little bit silly. If you consider nerf to be a "serious" hobby, then you may very well need a reality check. No, you will not look like a super cool guy if you play mil-sim scenario games in full camo regalia with longshots and maverics. If that is what makes you happy, than by all means play to your hearts content! Just don't expect airsofters, paintballers, or people in general not to give you some flak for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users