Busted Screw

CRAP!

6 replies to this topic

#1 Blaster

Blaster

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 11:03 PM

I was opening up my AT4K to mod it when i couldn't get the screw out of one of the holes. I took a look inside and found out that the screw had been stripped. I didn't realize it had happened until to late. Anyways this has happened on a few guns i've modded before but it never got completely stripped? does anyone know how i could unscrew a stripped screw?
"The voice of the American people has been heard; and, I won't imitate it, out of respect for the retarded."
— Lewis Black (concerning the 04 election results)
www.lewisblack.net

#2 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 01:25 AM

Yea thats happened to me many times on my AT3K. Only option is to just drill it out. I use my Dremel with a small drill bit and just drill straight down into the screw until the head of the screw is gone, then you can just leave the post in there, no way to get that out. Lets just hope that this doesn't happen on a critical screw position or you're (pun) screwed.
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#3 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 02:21 AM

Spoon hit the screw on the head. (Haha, more lame screw jokes!) However, there are some other options that I can see. Firstly, if there are still some ridges left in there, you may want to try to get your hands on some friction drops. It's a substance that has a gritty material suspended in a jell. You drop some of that on the screws, and it may provide enough friction for you to grab the screw and turn it out. Apply downward pressure as well as you turn.

Otherwise, and this is especially a good idea if you don't have access to a dremel or electric drill, you can try this road. Grab your soldering iron and get it heated up. Now, hold your solder directly about the screw and put the soldering iron against it. Get a good amount of solder on the screwhead, and then before it cools down, take your screwdriver (Phillips head) and make a deep imprint with it. Wait for it to cool completely, and then try once more to get it to come out. Good luck!
"The 'dance goes on..."

#4 sporkboyofjustice

sporkboyofjustice

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 12:21 PM

There is now a new option available for this problem. Craftsman has a bit that is used to remove stripped screws.
Screw Out
They also have special bits for drilling out broken screws.

#5 NinjaBob

NinjaBob

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 01:55 PM

That won't work very well on most guns because it would be far to large to fit into the deep holes most screws on nerf guns are not on the surface of the case. Thats for like wood.
facebook.com/gregdp

#6 sporkboyofjustice

sporkboyofjustice

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 04:16 PM

Some screws are not obstructed so this could be an option in some cases, surely not a cure all but definately something to know about.

#7 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 05:30 PM

As a supersoaker modder(I mod nerf too) I know a lot about screws, they can get seriously rusted, and they will not come out no matter what you do. Drilling is your best option, don't waste your money on that other crap. You can hold your gun together with duct tape if it's really that bad. In one of my supersoakers, I got 9 of the original 30 or so screws in and it works fine.
look here if you wanna see a old pic of that gun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users