1-day Hvz

A Codified Rulebook.

4 replies to this topic

#1 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:56 PM

I've been interested in organizing a 1-day HvZ game with some friends. In the process, I've come up with a pretty thought-out ruleset; I know that some people (like the SENO guys) play something similar to this, but I've never seen formal rules for short-round HvZ, and I think this would be an interesting take on it. Tell me what you think. ~Rork

The Idea
In my conversations over the past few months, I have found that many of my friends, acquaintances, and co-conspirators are quite keen on zombie movies and the lore associated with them.Therefore, I suggest that we hold a game of Humans versus Zombies (HvZ hereafter), tailored to be a practical, fun, 1-day game. The following is a somewhat tentative rule set.
The Basics

Humans versus Zombies is a live-action game inspired by zombie films. There is one or more Original Zombies that spread their infection through the human population. The humans use weapons to defend themselves; the zombies feed by tagging the humans. The goal for the humans is to survive until the zombies starve; the zombies’ goal is to feed on all the humans. Meanwhile, both humans and zombies must complete various missions assigned to them by the game’s sadistic admin overlords.

HvZ is usually played on college campuses over the course of a week or two. However, since some of us have jobs, significant others, and lives, this is simply not practical. Also: HvZ is a loud, disruptive sport that involves grown-ass men and women carrying nerf guns and hurling obscenities at each other whilst pretending to be in a Romero movie. Such goings-on are best removed from the public eye. Therefore: we will be playing a day-long game of short (1/2hr.m-2 hr.) HvZ rounds, probably at a local park/camping area. Suggestions for a specific venue would be wonderful.

Species Designation

In the interest of telling humans apart from zombies, headbands and armbands (simple bandanas will do fine) will be used. Humans and the OZ wear armbands; second-generation zombies wear headbands. After being shot/stabbed/whatever, the OZ is “outed,” and must switch to wearing a headband. Zombies that are in the process of respawning must wear their headband down, around their neck. Zombies who are in active play must wear their headband around their head.

Weapons

Nerf Guns: These are the primary weapons used in HvZ. Any kind will do stock. However, some people (myself included) will be using heavily modified and/or homemade blasters and darts (aka stefans). Stefans may only be of the Felt & Washer type; NO hot glue tips. Ridiculously overpowered mods (like singled, dart-firing Titans) will NOT be seeing gameplay. HvZ encourages short-range encounters, and no one wants to lose a kidney to a nerf gun. Generally speaking, if a gun shoots over approximately 100’, don’t bother bringing it. Also: people playing with mods and homemades must exercise responsibility in the use thereof. Shooting zombies at 10 feet with a 100’ gun will be considered an act of blatant douchebaggery, and as such will be dealt with harshly. Instead, carry a sidearm for up-close zombies.
Melee Weapons must be generously padded (at least 5/8” of sturdy foam on every striking surface). A perfect way to make melee (aka “boffer”) weapons is to use ½” sched. 40 pvc pipe as a core, inside a length of pool noodle, with a thick open-cell (sponge) foam tip, covered in duct tape. If you want to build a melee weapon, there’s plenty of resources on ye olde internets. However: ALL melee weapons must be approved on a case-by-case basis; I reserve the right to ban ANY weapon.
Thrown Weaponry: Traditionally, rolled-up socks are used as a sort of “grenade”; just in case any of you are so cheap that it offends you to spend $10 on a nerf gun, they will be allowed. They are also acceptable as a secondary weapon. However, mini marshmallows or indeed, marshmallows of any sort, are verboten.

Timers

Traditionally, HvZ is played using a rather complex system of starveout timers and stun timers. However, in the interest of playing short, simple, intense rounds rather than weeklong full-immersion games, we will NOT be using timers. Instead, we will use…

Hit Points

That’s right. OZs, due to their precarious situation, will start the game with 4 hit points. Second-generation zombies will start with two. Feeding gives a zombie 2 hit points; being shot or socked takes 1 hit point away. Melee’d zombies respawn, but do not lose a hit point (melee weapons do not require ammo or marksmanship, so this should balance things out). Hit points will be represented by flags (made of brightly colored tape, or something to that effect). Each human will carry 6 flags; upon infection, they will give up to 2 of these to each of the first 2 zombies to tag them (see feeding, below), and wear 2 themselves.

Feeding

As we all know, anything zombie-related is all about the meaty, intestine-wrapped carnage. Said carnage is translated through tagging. A pale shadow, I know, but these are your friends that you’re eating, and they like their innards. Feeding is accomplished by giving the intended human victim a firm, two-handed tag anywhere on the body. Up to 2 zombies may feed on a single human before that human turns.

Respawn Point

Prior to the start of gameplay, a respawn point will be decided upon. This point will be fairly distant from the anticipated area of play. Directly after being fed upon, an infected human will make his/her way to a pre-determined respawn point, stash their human gear (weapons, etc), change their headband into an armband, and return as a member of the zombie horde. Likewise, zombies must return to the respawn point after being damaged by humans. Zombies that are in the process of respawning must wear their headband down, around their neck. Zombies who are in active play must wear their headband around their head.

Rules of Play, Safety

Rule 1: Do not be a douche. Honestly, this just about covers it. This game is played on the honor system, so behave honorably. Fess up to your hits, don’t take yourself too seriously, and remember that this is a fun, silly way to spend a Saturday. Most importantly, BE SAFE. That means that you should:
Bring eye protection. Those who choose not to wear eye protection do so at their own risk. Tag—don’t tackle. Don’t overshoot; in a future round, you’ll be the zombie, and people will remember your sadism. Don’t lie about being shot. Nerf darts don’t carry too much energy, so the occasional misunderstanding will occur—however, consistent denial of obvious hits will result in people making their hits SO obvious that you’ll be unable to deny them. Any instance of pistol-whipping, and the guilty party will sit out the round. If you want to melee, use a melee weapon. All weaponry must be inspected; if in doubt, bring spares.

If anyone has any questions, comments, or suggestions, go ahead and comment.

Nerf modifications and homemades: nerfhaven.com

Making homemade darts:

Boffer weapons: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Foam_weapon

The Original HvZ Game: http://media.goucher....com/hvzsource/

Humans Versus Zombies is played under a Creative Commons License.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#2 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:33 PM

Sounds fun. -_-

Oh a small thing, in the 'Respawn Point' you said "...an infected human will make his/her way to a pre-determined respawn point, stash their human gear (weapons, etc), change their headband into an armband,.." It SHOULD be the other way around.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#3 1000 Zombies

1000 Zombies

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:30 PM

Sounds fun indeed. I might make it, with a friend, but I need to know where it's going to be before I can say I'm coming.
WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS BRUTALLY OVERUSED!

#4 mind13

mind13

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:49 PM

It's a shame it isn't closer. By the way your link helped me find Jugger. That sport seems completly insane and unbelievably fun.

Edited by mind13, 29 September 2008 - 05:50 PM.

Life comes at you fast yet a foam dart comes faster
Mind13

#5 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:16 PM

It's not really an NIC event; I was just sharing the rules I had come up with. Sorry if there was any confusion there. However: this is going to be a test run. Depending upon how this game goes, there may be an organized NIC event along the same lines at some point in the future. ~Rork
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users