The Access Bow

Norther's NF/DS Crossbow ; Stock Pg.2 ; Enhancements Pg.3

38 replies to this topic

#26 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 04:52 PM

Did you have any problems with there being a bump between the two plunger tubes? I thought about giving this mod a shot a while back, but thought that the fact the plunger has to make the jump between the two PT's might impede power or pop off the second PT.

You're right, there is a little gap between the plungers but its never a concern when priming or firing. Only when you're moving the rod slowly (like while its out of the gun) do you notice the jump.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#27 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 05:08 PM

The only thing that jumps out at me is that the handle is a CPVC tee. Those weigh a bit more than the stock handle, and weight of the plunger rod is inversely proportional to average range. If you cut the back half off, you could reduce the weight of the plunger rod. Then again, it might not make a noticeable difference, but I just wanted to throw that out there. I am a big fan of big pistols, this is very nice.

Edited by analogkid, 27 September 2008 - 05:09 PM.

#28 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 05:18 PM

Well.. its sure as hell alot better than a 1/2" PVC T coupler that i was originally going to use. Then i read Dayko's write up a little more carefully. -_-
I beat my wife."

#29 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 05:56 PM

I've added a working (and quite comfortable i might add) stock! It's removable as well, to keep with the accessibility theme of the gun.

It uses a tactical rail as you could guess.

I first took a 1/2" PVC coupler and 2-ton epoxied it to the handle of the NF, to one side so i could still open up the gun.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Once dried i put on goop for some unknown reason.

Then taking:
1x tactical rail connector
1x 1/2" PVC coupler
2x 1/2" PVC right angle'd connectors
1/2" PVC pipe (both regular and thin walled)
1/2" PVC pipe insulation wrap

..I put together a stock that would be comfortable. Put the coupler on the rail connector and epoxy and goop and whatever else adhesive you want it so that it will NOT move. Fit the pipe into the coupler and make sure it's meant to stay in there.

Then.you can guess how to put the rest together. Just make sure that the length of the pipe on top is far enough so that the rail connector will lock in place securely when its pushed forward, while the lower pipe (thin walled) will slide into the coupler on the handle.

I put the insulation wrap on the stock for comfort, but it for some reason didn't reach all the way around so i filled the rest of the empty space with backer rod. VERY COMFORTABLE in case your wondering.

Finished Stock:
Posted Image

How it's attached:

Off:
Posted Image

*Slide on the rail and put the pipe into the coupler snugly*

In place:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Works great, and is removable. I'm happy. -_-
I beat my wife."

#30 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:42 PM

(( CONTINUED FROM PAGE 1 ))

I put in the tube in the NF shell to get a feel of how i'd mold the DS shell to fit it.
Posted Image

Removed all internal parts of the DS and hacksawed off the back just enough to get the main back wall off. Then sanded all the internal parts that hold the catch plate & anywhere around it.
Posted Image

Did it enough to where it slid onto the tube at least.
Posted Image

I made cuts with the hacksaw up the back of the DS until it let the tube slide forward just enough so it could rest where the DS's plunger tube would've been.
Posted Image

Once the two shells fit together well enough, i put a long thin strip of plexiglass where the two tactical rails meet to keep the two together and epoxied. I also put a piece (look at picture for the shape) where the back of the DS handle is so it connects to the NF shell. Also epoxied.
Posted Image

Posted Image

This next part was tricky. Getting the plunger tube's "caps" to fit a 1/2" CPVC coupler. Had to do alot of sanding and filing, but eventually got it to fit snugly without breaking.
Posted Image

I put it on the end of the tube and epoxied the hell out of it so it was sure not to get pushed into the tube.

The finished Internals:
Posted Image

Then to add another tactical rail onto the gun, i took a spare Mavrick cocking handle and cut the rail off so it'd be flush with the trigger guard of the DS. I hot glued it onto the space where the ammo holders would've been.
Posted Image

And you are finished!
Posted Image

The reason why i call it the ACCESS Bow is because of all the rail accessories that can be put on it. It works great with the tactical shot i made because i can put it on the front of the top rail on the DS and cock it while its still attached. Like so:
Posted Image

And the bottom rail is perfect for a tactial light.
Posted Image

Various shots:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Incase your wondering, the handle of the DS is extremely comfortable when holding.
Posted Image

Ranges are from 85'-95'. I'm very satisfied.

Video:

Q's? C's? F's?
I beat my wife."

#31 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:46 PM

Nice Work. That things a beast, All thats need to say.
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#32 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

I like it. It's not what I was expecting; I pictured the stock running evenly close to the plunger on both top and bottom, as though the NF/DS guns were scaled up to the size of a crossbow, but now that I consider the size of the gun, I think I should agree with your version. A stock that ran closer to the bottom of the plunger would've probably connected at a place that would get in the way of your thumb.

Looks mighty comfy. Enjoy!

On a side note, if you don't mind, I'd like to link the post involving your stock to the Accessories directory, seeing how it's something that could be done to a number of the newer rail-equipped guns in some fashion or another.
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#33 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:21 PM

I like it. It's not what I was expecting; I pictured the stock running evenly close to the plunger on both top and bottom, as though the NF/DS guns were scaled up to the size of a crossbow, but now that I consider the size of the gun, I think I should agree with your version. A stock that ran closer to the bottom of the plunger would've probably connected at a place that would get in the way of your thumb.

Looks mighty comfy. Enjoy!

On a side note, if you don't mind, I'd like to link the post involving your stock to the Accessories directory, seeing how it's something that could be done to a number of the newer rail-equipped guns in some fashion or another.

I thought you'd never ask. :D
It really is comfortable, I liked Dayko's mod where it was closer to looking like a Crossbow, but i guess with mine i'm more going for the performance of one with a different feel. And the stock is pretty easy to get off, but it stays on even when you're pushing on it pretty hard, so i really did accomplish what i wanted to do with it.

Thanks alot. :)
I beat my wife."

#34 TheNerfLoki

TheNerfLoki

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:17 PM

I'm confused... can't this be done with 2 nightfinders, Or am I missing something?
Edit: Never mind That last question.
Why Did you use a ds and nf? And How loud is it? Have you put bungees on it? If so what are the ranges with bungees?

Edited by TheNerfLoki, 29 September 2008 - 03:24 PM.

Am I the only one who uses the sig function for a sig?
TNL,

#35 1000 Zombies

1000 Zombies

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:20 PM

Must...resist...buying 2 more NFs!! *twitch twitch*
Very nice work. Is it hard to cock with all those springs in there?
WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS BRUTALLY OVERUSED!

#36 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:28 PM

I used a NF shell, 2x NF internals, and a DS shell. Because i didn't feel like going out to get another NF just for the shell when i had a perfectly good, similarly-sized shell laying around. Its not loud at all, but i just put in some enhancements that i'll post in the near future.

I've tried putting bungees on it but they always start to bend the rod whenever it gets primed, so i keep them off. Ranges are good enough without them.

Must...resist...buying 2 more NFs!! *twitch twitch*
Very nice work. Is it hard to cock with all those springs in there?

As i said before, not at all. Watch the video and you'll see.
I beat my wife."

#37 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:53 PM

Now that I look at the gun harder I believe there is room for an At2k integrated in/on the ds shell, just put a keyring trigger on there...that could be really awesome. You could have 3 long range shots or 5 short-mid range shots...

#38 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:32 PM

The thing is i can put the DS's trigger back in and use THAT as the trigger. I just need the AT2K and maybe one more tactical rail.
I beat my wife."

#39 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:36 PM

I've made a few little enhancements to the gun that i think should be pointed out.

I went back inside the guns internals to make them more durable. I first dealt with the problem of the gap in the plunger tube. As someone pointed out, the gap did become a problem over time, usually making the plunger head snag on it keeping me from priming the gun.

I took off the e-tape and plumbers goop i had put on there and straightened the tubes up as best i could. Then, taking some clear packing tape i wrapped a few even layers around where the tubes met. Then epoxy was put over the tape.
Posted Image

Then, the rod needed to be reinforced. It broke several times after i first constructed it, and i found a way to keep it all in line.

I drilled small holes in the rod where i made room for more springs and put small lengths of a wire coat hanger and epoxied them in. This kept the rod physically together, rather than just by epoxy. Also, re-epoxied everything.
Posted Image

And i wrapped the plunger head with new layers of thread seal tape.
Posted Image

To make switching out barrels easier, i took some of that 1/2" PVC insulation wrap and wrapped it around a 1/2" CPVC pipe. Then, taking some of the plastic wire ties that come with the nerf guns to secure them in their boxes, i tied them around the insulation so I could get the tightest fit. I slid one side onto the coupler to make it even easier.

And finally, just for looks right now, i put the Disc Shot's trigger back in. I will definitly make some use of this once i get another AT2K.

Finished Internals:
Posted Image

New Video (with stock demo):

EDIT: Also, i made a speed loader out of 1/2" CPVC, e-tape, and epoxy. The gun also feels heavier than before, which is good, it feels even better to hold now.
I beat my wife."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users