Hornet Mod Help

Minimization

11 replies to this topic

#1 Mxer4life369

Mxer4life369

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:34 PM

I have a Hornet and I would like to minimize it. I am wanting to do it in the style of CS's "Humpty Dumpty". Meaning I would like to keep the pump in the stock position. But I am wondering, like CS says he is going to tap the old titan valve and use it for his magstrike 20 backpack, can I just plug that up with hot glue or something? Or do I have to do something a little more complicated. Also, I would like to know all that you have to cut off to minimize it, and how to keep the pump in the stock place.

Any help would be appreciated,
Tyler.
GO OKLAHOMA SOONERS!

#2 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:54 PM

Did you even read the thread? I explained everything in detail.
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=8209

I cut and then added a thread to the end of the tube so I could screw in and epoxy in place a fitting.
Posted Image

I would avoid doing anything to the hornet except salvaging the blast chambers for other integration projects. It's infuriating to work on.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 24 September 2008 - 07:56 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 Mxer4life369

Mxer4life369

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:03 PM

Yes, I read the thread, you said "I've cut away a good deal of the inner bracing in order to move the stock pump as far forward as it will go while still working. I also cut off the "Unity Power System" trigger and one-way valve stem." and "The inner diameter of the tube that leads to the extra 6-shot trigger valve was luckily the perfect size to be tapped to 1/4" NPT. So adding an instant tube fitting will be a cinch."

That doesnt answer any of my questions. Instead of putting an Instant Tube Fitting, can I just plug it up with hot glue? Also, what exactly do you have to cut to get the pump as far forward as possible. (how much, etc.)

I know the Hornet is hard to mod, but I bought the whole UPS at a garage sale for $7 and I don't really care if I break it.
GO OKLAHOMA SOONERS!

#4 Father Nerf

Father Nerf

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:07 PM

Your best bet is to check out Telekinetic's Hornette Mod. His is very similer to CS's but moves the blast butten up to fill said gap. Telekinetic gets rid of the side blast buttens on his but you don't have to. Hot glue probably would work as the hornet operates at such a low presure, however it may not last long and when the presure builds up you may get a chuck of hot glue in the eye. Which sucks... Telekinetic also has comparison pictures of a unmodded Hornet and his modded one so you can see the parts he has removed. Here is the link.

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=9390
As i nerf through the vally of the shadow of Dead, I shall fear no evil, for thou art with me. My Longshot and my Singled Titan, they comfort me...

#5 Mxer4life369

Mxer4life369

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:13 PM

Father_Nerf: I have seen his mod, and I like the way it works, but I kinda don't like the dodgy hot glue setup holding the blast button on. I would probably get leaks like a sumbitch, and I probably would get pissed and throw the gun out of the window. But with the plugging of the titan valve thing, it would probably be a little easier and not as frustrating.
GO OKLAHOMA SOONERS!

#6 Father Nerf

Father Nerf

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:17 PM

If you were to use an epoxy to do his mod it would be more likely you would get a good seal. How ever, yes I do belive it is posible to do the Hot glue. And as you said you only got it for $7 so you might as well give it a go. If it doesnt work, go with what 'slug is saying. Put a cap on the end. <_<

Edited by Father_Nerf, 24 September 2008 - 08:17 PM.

As i nerf through the vally of the shadow of Dead, I shall fear no evil, for thou art with me. My Longshot and my Singled Titan, they comfort me...

#7 Mxer4life369

Mxer4life369

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:20 PM

OK, I think I have a relative idea of what the hell I am doing (kinda) and my mods work about 30% of most of the time. So I will go to the shop and see what I can do. I will post again tomorrow with any progress/problems.
Thanks for the advice guys.
GO OKLAHOMA SOONERS!

#8 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:33 PM

1. Instead of putting an Instant Tube Fitting, can I just plug it up with hot glue?
2. Also, what exactly do you have to cut to get the pump as far forward as possible. (how much, etc.)
3. I know the Hornet is hard to mod, but I bought the whole UPS at a garage sale for $7 and I don't really care if I break it.

1. No. Hot glue cannot hold back any pressure. You'll have to epoxy a 1/4" pipe plug into the resulting hole.
2. You read it but didn't understand it.
Posted Image
Than it does in mine
Posted Image
I said I cut away some of the bracing pieces inside the shell. These seat the pump tube further back in the blaster than it needs to be so you just trim them away so that you can move the pump tube further forward in the shell.
As you can see in this image the tube sits much further back. This guy did the same thing to minimize his, but went a bit further by shortening the pump handle.
Posted Image
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=9390

3. And I still say it's not worth the hassle. It's extremely difficult and annoying to even get it back together correctly.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 24 September 2008 - 08:40 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#9 Mxer4life369

Mxer4life369

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:56 PM

I just minimized it, and I think it looks really cool. The only thing keeping me from firing this thing is the barrels (brass), and the tube fitting I need. What is the size of the little tubing inside the Hornet, and what can I buy that can put 2 pieces of tube together?
GO OKLAHOMA SOONERS!

#10 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:19 PM

what can I buy that can put 2 pieces of tube together?

Barbed tube coupler, which you can see in the last image I just posted. I can't remember what size at the moment so you should just measure the ID of the tubing.

#11 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:34 PM

If I remember correctly, I used a barb meant for 3/16" inner diameter tubing.

They're a little difficult to get on and off, but I haven't had any problems with leaks.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#12 Mxer4life369

Mxer4life369

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:06 PM

Thanks Jwasko, I will be off to Lowes today to look for one of those.
GO OKLAHOMA SOONERS!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users