Springs

Criteria?

15 replies to this topic

#1 TimmyTown

TimmyTown

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:22 PM

I am looking to do a spring replacement on my BBB. I was reccomended a handyman spring but neither Home Depot, Lowes, or Ace carry them around me. Ace has a section with slide out drawers that are just springs (they are labeled with 1-30 or something) and I was wondering what the criteria was to spring replacements. Do I just bring the original spring with me and search for something with a similar size that is stronger but not too strong?

Oh and to specify I was looking for handyman spring # 9713

I will also be looking to replace my longshot spring in the future. I just really needed advice on how to choose a spring and not just what spring do I use.
QUOTE(rork @ Mar 16 2009, 05:30 PM) View Post

I, too "have recon," as they say. I get him in old country. Then I realize he sucks like bog. So I trade him for potato.

#2 Silencer

Silencer

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:29 PM

I will also be looking to replace my longshot spring in the future.

Use the BBB spring for the longshot.
TMC

#3 veginator

veginator

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:57 PM

Do I just bring the original spring with me and search for something with a similar size that is stronger but not too strong?

Yes that is exactly what you do. What he ment was that most people add the BBB spring to the regular longshot spring.

#4 TimmyTown

TimmyTown

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:24 PM

Do I just bring the original spring with me and search for something with a similar size that is stronger but not too strong?

Yes that is exactly what you do. What he ment was that most people add the BBB spring to the regular longshot spring.

I know?

I was asking how to do a spring replacement not what I should use my BBB spring for. Alright no real help in this thread but Keef PMed me with what I needed so no more posts are required, thank you.

I, too "have recon," as they say. I get him in old country. Then I realize he sucks like bog. So I trade him for potato.

#5 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

I use this spring: 9637K26 (McMaster part #).
Its a beast. Its more powerful than the AR-15 spring. You get 5 for $10. Each spring is 11" long.

Edited by Maeric, 24 September 2008 - 08:55 PM.

Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#6 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:58 PM

Are those the +bow springs CS uses?
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#7 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:02 PM

Are those the +bow springs CS uses?

Yes.
I think the diameter is wrong for use in the bbb.
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#8 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:03 PM

Yup. He used the 9637K26. Like I said, its a beast.

And Yes, you can use them in a BBB. I've put them in near every spring gun I have, my Nitefinder, Longshot, and BBB.

Edited by Maeric, 24 September 2008 - 09:09 PM.

Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#9 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

No he used the 9657K39.
Mine is: 9637K26

+bow partlist
9637K26
The k39 is the catch spring.

Bob beat me to it.

Edited by bobafan, 24 September 2008 - 09:08 PM.

thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#10 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:40 PM

You could always get one of the pneumatic door closers which has a monster of a spring waiting to be re-sized and integrated inside.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#11 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:43 PM

I like 2 AR-15 springs(whole, pressed) in a Longshot. A bitch to cock, but can punch holes in 1/4" cardboard at 20'. Or try a LS+AR-15 spring. Stronger than stock, but not that bad to cock. Hey, that rhymes! Or try to match the spring with a slightly softer one, and nest them. I am not responsible for any broken windows. Norther_of_Heaven, good idea, but you have to use a bandsaw to get it open.
American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

#12 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:04 AM

I like 2 AR-15 springs(whole, pressed) in a Longshot. A bitch to cock, but can punch holes in 1/4" cardboard at 20'. Or try a LS+AR-15 spring. Stronger than stock, but not that bad to cock. Hey, that rhymes! Or try to match the spring with a slightly softer one, and nest them. I am not responsible for any broken windows. Norther_of_Heaven, good idea, but you have to use a bandsaw to get it open.

Or just a hacksaw. Anything that'll cut metal.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#13 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:46 PM

Or just a hacksaw. Anything that'll cut metal.

Or a hammer, 2 pairs of pliers, a Vise-grip, a dremel, tinsnips, and a flathead screwdriver. Thats what I used. And I have one of these in addition to a NF spring in my BBB. I get +100ft with 11in barrels. Highly recommended.

#14 TimmyTown

TimmyTown

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:54 PM

Its a beast. Its more powerful than the AR-15 spring. You get 5 for $10. Each spring is 11" long.

You said you use it in a BBB? Has it broken or had any problems? I have heard plenty of stories about BBBs breaking with replacement springs and just wanted to make sure that this will no end like that.

#15 ShadowTank

ShadowTank

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:17 AM

YOu were not kidding that it's a beast! ! You said you used this in a Long Shot? I"m modifying a Recon CS-6 and i'm making some of my own "new" modfications to it, but taking the idea from DeceitfulSteve who used an AR-15 Spring for his mod of the Recon CS-6 (see: Adding Another Spring To The Recon, And a reason to use the stock)

I'm wondering if now I should use the AR-15 Spring (need to buy one if so) instead of the one quoted above. I'm concerned because I need to compress it by 5.5" instad of the original 3.25" as it is now. I'm expanding the air resevior and so the orange piece (what I call the Breach Block) will slide back 5.5" instead of the 3.25", so the spring needs to expand by 5.5". The 11" spring is plenty long, but will it compress enough without breaking any plastic pieces

Thanks

ShadowTank

#16 BobRedshirt

BobRedshirt

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:47 PM

I've been looking for a spring replacement for my BBB as well. Can anyone say where you can buy handyman springs?

Also, I've used a LS spring + an ACE #49 spring in my LS, and it works: not too difficult to cock, still some power.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users