Photo

Air Tech Expansions

11 replies to this topic

#1 perezinthenet

perezinthenet

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:03 AM

If I were to measure the dimensions of a titan tank and then add a larger tank expansion to my at3k the size of a titan tank, would I get similar ranges to a titan?

#2 crinal123

crinal123

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:05 AM

No, I don't think so. You will just probably have more air to hold. That's what I think.
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 4 2008, 09:09 AM) View Post

That's it. I'm done. I'm sorry there are breasts on the Internet.

#3 Ro-Sham-Bo

Ro-Sham-Bo

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • State:Michigan

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:48 AM

Tank size doesn't matter for what I'm trying to explain. You could have a huge 100' tank and still fire darts a few feet. It's the pressure OF the air INSIDE the tank that matters. That's why plugged pump guns shoot farther. They take less pumps but at a greater rate of compression than a regular pump.
To answer your question, yes you could add a Titan tank to an ATxK you would have to pump it a few times to get it to fire with titan ranges but, why add a Titan tank to an ATxK? Aren't you really just re-shelling a Titan by doing this?
QUOTE(baghead @ Dec 31 2008, 07:58 PM) View Post

Wait a second? a Canadian National team... just won at Hockey!?

who would have ever seen that coming?

#4 Ro-Sham-Bo

Ro-Sham-Bo

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • State:Michigan

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:49 AM

Sorry, Internal Sever Error made me post twice. *Ignore*

Edited by Ro-Sham-Bo, 24 September 2008 - 06:50 AM.

QUOTE(baghead @ Dec 31 2008, 07:58 PM) View Post

Wait a second? a Canadian National team... just won at Hockey!?

who would have ever seen that coming?

#5 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:46 AM

Alright, I do have to disagree a little bit with Ro-Sham-Bp. Air volume definitely plays a factor in the range achieved. The more air you have, the more potential energy you have. However, it helps to understand that "more" means mass and not volume. 30 PSI of in an AT3K tank and 40 PSI in an AT3K have the same volume of air, but there are more air molecules crammed into the tank with 40 PSI, so it has more mass. The second tank will launch a dart farther than the first.

Now, about volume, it will increase your range as long as you have a good flow rate. Making an AT3K tank as large as a Titan would do more harm than good because of the limited flow rate of the AT3K valve. It can't all get out fast enough to accelerate the dart much faster than it would otherwise. I'd say anything more than doubling the volume of an AT3K tank would be worthless, but maybe tripling it would be effective. A titan tank, however, has got to be at least ten times the volume and you would be wasting time pumping up a large tank to 40 PSI and not getting that much more range out of it.

Tank expansion aren't all they're cracked up to be, but I am in the middle of one on an AT3K, so if you want to wait a week or so, I can show you what I did.

#6 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:41 AM

You may also need to use a longer barrel if you expand your tank to take full advantage of the increased volume of air.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#7 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

You will also need to use a longer barrel if you expand your tank to take full advantage of the increased volume of air.

Indeed.

#8 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:51 AM

You will also need to use a longer barrel if you expand your tank to take full advantage of the increased volume of air.

Indeed.

Absolutely.

My Titan tanked integration needs a 24" barrel on singled mode or the dart goes all over the place.

A singled AT3K can use a 12", my turreted and plugged AT3k uses 6" barrels and could probably do with 8" instead.

#9 perezinthenet

perezinthenet

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:01 PM

I have a nice bike pump hooked up to it now with a small one half or 3/4 inch pvc tank but i was wondering if i used a large 1 1/4 sch 40 pvc tank I could achieve titanesque ranges with the correct amount of pumps

Edited by perezinthenet, 24 September 2008 - 01:33 PM.

#10 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:38 PM

Provided the passageway between the expansion and the original air tank has the same square area size as the opening of the trigger valve itself (or larger), then yes it will increase your ranges significantly.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 24 September 2008 - 01:39 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#11 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:18 PM

Having done something like this, I can tell you that there will be some range increase. Just make sure you use a longer barrel on the 3K and it will be fine.

#12 perezinthenet

perezinthenet

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:47 PM

Im looking at basically making a tank that achieves titan ranges or greater

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users