19 replies to this topic

#1 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL TOPIC: http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=11638

How to make a T20 pistol!

This extremely simple mod dramatically increases the efficiency and range of the Mech Tommy 20 and makes it a worthwhile gun, at least in my opinion.

Materials needed:

-Mech Tommy Twenty
-9 volt battery
-9v battery holder/connector/whatever, here’s a picture of what I mean:

Posted Image

-Some way of connecting wires, like a soldering gun or this:

Posted Image

-Hacksaw
-Electrical Tape
-Scissors/wire stripper

Step 1:

Using your hacksaw, cut off the entire stock of the gun, including the battery case, severing the wires connecting the battery case to the main body of the gun as you do so.

Posted Image

Step 2:

Strip the wires coming from the 9v battery connector and the gun, using your teeth, a wire stripper, or scissors, by pressing the scissors as lightly as possible into the wire until you feel a hard object (the wire), then circling the blades around the wire and pulling, like so:

Posted Image

Step 3:

Connect the bare ends of the wires, matching red with red and black with black. I used a soldering gun, but soldering glue or even wrapping in E-Tape are good temporary solutions. No matter how you connected the wires, make sure all the bare metal is covered in electrical tape.

Step 4:
Bust a cap in some fools! As for the battery, just tape it to the outside of the gun or something. Have fun!

Posted Image

Ranges are in the mid 40's to 50s.

Edited by Ubermensch, 08 December 2008 - 03:24 PM.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#2 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:07 PM

Didn't you post this same thing like 4 months ago?
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#3 rippen11

rippen11

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:07 PM

Just a question, 40-50 feet from just putting in a 9-volt battery? don't they usually get 15-20 stock (if you're lucky)?

Who says i buy balls from a store?

Nightfinder

Why is your cat in your arsenal? Perhaps it shoots LASERS?!?!

Captain Slug

#4 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

Ice: Well, yeah, but this is a guide on how to make it. Mostly I did it for the FoamUniverse modding competition.

Rippen--I measured, and the average was about 47 feet. My highest was 55. Consider this: The gun runs stock on three AA batteries, or 4.5 volts of energy. Doubled, the range should be much better.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#5 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:46 PM

I wonder how well this would work for the new green one.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#6 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:48 PM

Badly, I've tried. I'm sure somebody with more skill than me could do it, but it isn't as simple as this.
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#7 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:39 PM

Could you do this with a car battery? Besides being heavy, would that work?

#8 nerfer9

nerfer9

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:49 PM

Yea, it should, a car battery is only 12 volts, just alota amps.

#9 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:04 PM

Could you do this with a car battery? Besides being heavy, would that work?

Yea, it should, a car battery is only 12 volts, just alota amps.

No Just no. all those amps will melt the Electronics and probably catch the gun on fire.

#10 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:11 PM

Hooking up a car battery will fry whatever circuit you have in the gun. Its bad enough you have the 9v running in it without a capacitor swap. I highly advise not running the gun for very long at one time, you'll kill it. You could hook up a car batter if you knew a little something about circuits and how to wire up the appropriate voltages and currents so you don't blow your gun up. It'd also be smart to replace the motors.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#11 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:14 PM

Why do stupid people always suggest a car battery. Every time something comes up that includes batteries, someone makes the same suggestion. Car batteries are only 12v, and have tons of amps, which makes them dangerous. They are also very heavy, and you can get acid on yourself if you try to lug one around a nerf war. Two 9v batteries will do a lot more for you than a car battery.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#12 wespelarno

wespelarno

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:23 AM

9v will not harm the gun at all. Unless I missed something, the cirucit components are switches and motors. The motors are silver can mabuchi motors and can handle up to about 20 volts long term with no ill side effects. The only loss of life will be because of how much faster it spins at 20 volts than at 4.5. The motors should degrade in about 1/4 of the time. The motor does wear out faster, but it is merely due to heavier use. And odds are it won't see enough use to wear out, something else is the gun will break first. Unless there are some circuit boards in there the extra volts won't hurt.

To the car battery guy, expect a whole variety of "interesting" side effects. To start with, the lead acid battery will be able to provide such a high amperage that the whole circuit will melt. It you put a steel bar accross the terminals of a car battery, it will weld itself to the terminals and glow red hot. Expect all the metal components to do something similair

And. If you invert or tip over a lead acid battery so that the contents spill inside the case, it dies. forever. it can't be brough back. so no sudden movements, no crouching, no jumping. Infact, I would stay still and hold it carefully lest you kill the battery.

Now. On to puncturing the cell. Not likely, but if you do everything goes wrong in a big way. 10 molar acid everywhere. Basically, if you dip your hand in 10 molar acid, all you will be able to pull out is the stump at your wrist. Your hand will be gone.

So apart from those limitations, a car battery is a fantastic idea.

If anybody wants more volts, buy some RC car batteries, 25 bucks for two rechargeable ones. Solder them in series and you have 14.4 volts of shooting goodness. And they will take forever to run flat. Any questions, send me a pm

By the way, I like the look of this. Good side arm for an indoor war.

Edited by wespelarno, 23 September 2008 - 04:24 AM.

Someday, we're gonna break free from these chains and you know, someday, we're gonna dance with those lions

#13 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:21 AM

To the car battery guy, expect a whole variety of "interesting" side effects. To start with, the lead acid battery will be able to provide such a high amperage that the whole circuit will melt. It you put a steel bar accross the terminals of a car battery, it will weld itself to the terminals and glow red hot. Expect all the metal components to do something similair

And. If you invert or tip over a lead acid battery so that the contents spill inside the case, it dies. forever. it can't be brough back. so no sudden movements, no crouching, no jumping. Infact, I would stay still and hold it carefully lest you kill the battery.

Now. On to puncturing the cell. Not likely, but if you do everything goes wrong in a big way. 10 molar acid everywhere. Basically, if you dip your hand in 10 molar acid, all you will be able to pull out is the stump at your wrist. Your hand will be gone.

So apart from those limitations, a car battery is a fantastic idea.

I've had battery acid all over me and the most damage ive ever seen was a few holes in my T-Shirt (it does remove wards and poison Ivy quite well though).. nothing is going to melt, Explode or get red hot either. A car battery is just heavy and has 10,000x the capacity you would need for a war... maybe if you wanted to run 10 of them it would be of use.

I can't say it enough times, 9v batteries are the most inefficient batteries money can buy.. look for a rechargeable battery somewhere.. If you check your local hobby shop you can buy NIMH battery packs for RC helicopters pretty cheap, these are usually about 2x the size of a 9v battery and have 5 to 10 times the capacity. most 9v batteries are rated at 160to180 mah. even the cheapo GWS battery packs are 700mah and all mine were over 900mah.
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#14 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:04 AM

nothing is going to melt, Explode or get red hot either.

Tell that to the guy who had his live amp wire ground out to his car frame.

Battery exploded, caught the hood liner on fire, and basically trashed the engine compartment, all on the interstate.

That was a fun repair job.

#15 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:45 AM

::Insert ramblings here::

Nobody said that 9v would hurt anything. I can't find anything in this thread where anybody said anything that could remotely resemble them saying that 9v would hurt anything. In fact, I said to use two 9v batteries.

#16 Pwnzer MK II

Pwnzer MK II

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:11 AM

Well concerning the whole car battery thing you could go with an absorbed glass mat battery which would eliminate the whole tip over and acid problem. Also if you went with a jet ski battery that solves alot of the weight problem, they are just basically a smaller version of a car battery. (just some random thoughts)

Edited by Pwnzer_MK_II, 23 September 2008 - 10:11 AM.

Soon a never before seen gun will arrive ,one that instills fear into anyone unlucky enough to be aimed at. and when that day comes beware for its name is Extar

#17 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:10 PM

Oh. Come. On. You idiots, just stop yacking about car batteries. Anyone who is even suggesting it has no concept of how much mass they would be dealing with. A far better battery solution would be rechargeable Ni-Cd or Ni-MH packs for various applications (RC cars, cordless tools, etc.), as has already been suggested. 9V batteries are not an acceptable solution. Sure, they have a higher voltage, but the cost associated, versus the actually current/charge capacity, is way out of balance.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#18 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:31 PM

9 volts work fine for me. I have a NiMh battery, but I opted to stick with this. Why? It's smaller.
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#19 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:37 PM

Oh. Come. On. You idiots, just stop yacking about car batteries. Anyone who is even suggesting it has no concept of how much mass they would be dealing with. A far better battery solution would be rechargeable Ni-Cd or Ni-MH packs for various applications (RC cars, cordless tools, etc.), as has already been suggested. 9V batteries are not an acceptable solution. Sure, they have a higher voltage, but the cost associated, versus the actually current/charge capacity, is way out of balance.

Saying that 9v batteries are unacceptable is just as ridiculous as saying a car battery is acceptable. I will agree that I really hate 9v batteries, but if you need a small battery with a high voltage (in terms of consumer batteries), you can't do any better than a 9v. You can buy 9v batteries from your nearest cheapo-mart (Dollar General, Dollar Tree, etc.) for a low price.

Edited by slowguitarman, 23 September 2008 - 03:38 PM.

#20 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:52 PM

A 9v wouldn't hurt anything, but it was said before that it would wear the gun out faster. My advice, if you were bored and had some extra money and didn't care about the gun, put a 9.6v RC car battery in there. You'd have a hell of a time watching the thing spit darts out. And as to the car battery guy, why don't we focus our energy on hooking a car batter up to a Vulcan with a 100ft chain and just sit at your base and pummel people with your stationary chain gun that'll fire like... 300rds a minute. Unlikely that this would ever happen since not many people spend that kind of time or money on nerf except CS and FA, but then again, they're not stupid enough to waste time trying...
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users