Please Help A Noob

cpvc/pvc problems

21 replies to this topic

#1 fishingdude2044

fishingdude2044

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:51 PM

Hi, i'm new. I've searched the forums but, I need help figuring out what type of pvc/cpvc size I need. I've been to home depot, and lowe's but i'm totally confused. How tight should the bullet be in the pvc/cpvc? And pictures of the writing on the pvc/cpvc would be extremley helpful!

please don't ban me or that kind of stuff like I said I'm a noob to this stuff.

thank you for your help,

fishingdude2044
"You're probably all wondering how to get a range of 95' from a mech 20?"~foamsniper"I was figuring you threw it."~carbon
"Would you belive Chuck Norris with a bb gun?"

#2 Mxer4life369

Mxer4life369

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:11 PM

Welcome to the Haven. If you are using stefans/streamlines/cdtd's then you need 1/2" cpvc. CPVC is one of the most tight fitting barrel material. If you are using tagger darts, then 1/2" SCH 40 PVC is what most people use. SCH 80 PVC is a very loose fitting barrel, but can still be used. It fits streamlines etc. CPVC is under hot/cold cpvc on the aisle markers.
To further help you, I need to know more about your setup. (Gun/Darts used/Budget)
GO OKLAHOMA SOONERS!

#3 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:12 PM

It really depends on what your ammo is.

If you're using stock tagger darts like most noobs, Sch. 40 PVC will fit around the velcro tip. You don't want a very long barrel though because it's such a poor setup. CPVC will work for stock taggers too, but won't cover the whole dart, it'll only go up to the tip.

If you're using CDTS or stefans, I wouldn't recommend either. CPVC works, but it's extremely tight.
Most people use:
-17/32" Brass tubing: spring guns with a quick discarge
- 9/16" Brass tubing: Air guns and springers with slower discharges
- PETG: All-around good barrel material.

You really only need PVC to nest your barrel material in and possibly to use with Mega stefans.

EDIT: ah, Mxer4life369

Edited by BlackFox, 20 September 2008 - 09:13 PM.

"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#4 fishingdude2044

fishingdude2044

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:15 PM

Welcome to the Haven. If you are using stefans/streamlines/cdtd's then you need 1/2" cpvc. CPVC is one of the most tight fitting barrel material. If you are using tagger darts, then 1/2" SCH 40 PVC is what most people use. SCH 80 PVC is a very loose fitting barrel, but can still be used. It fits streamlines etc. CPVC is under hot/cold cpvc on the aisle markers.
To further help you, I need to know more about your setup. (Gun/Darts used/Budget)

\

I have a nite finder I want to coupler for speedloaders for like 2" stefans

and 2 ls with broken boltsleds I need to cpvc like ice's for streamlines or 2"stefans

I have a type of 1/2" pvc but streamlines and stefans don't fire while the micros barely fire becasue they get stuck at the end of it.
"You're probably all wondering how to get a range of 95' from a mech 20?"~foamsniper"I was figuring you threw it."~carbon

#5 Mxer4life369

Mxer4life369

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:17 PM

Yeah, I forgot to put brass. I love brass. All of my guns have it. I use 9/16 brass for most of my guns.
I have yet to use petg, but I have heard great reviews on it.

EDIT: You need CPVC. I used to use it for a lot of my guns before I switched to brass. It is a very good material. It can be found in the plumbing aisle.

Edited by Mxer4life369, 20 September 2008 - 09:18 PM.

GO OKLAHOMA SOONERS!

#6 fishingdude2044

fishingdude2044

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:18 PM

If you're using stock tagger darts like most noobs, Sch. 40 PVC will fit around the velcro tip. You don't want a very long barrel though because it's such a poor setup. CPVC will work for stock taggers too, but won't cover the whole dart, it'll only go up to the tip.

If you're using CDTS or stefans, I wouldn't recommend either. CPVC works, but it's extremely tight.
Most people use:

You really only need PVC to nest your barrel material in and possibly to use with Mega stefans.

I've found cpvc at home depot but it's extremely tight to where the stock streamlines have to be twisted into it and they still barely fit in half way.

#7 Mxer4life369

Mxer4life369

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:21 PM

I too have had this problem. It is the CPVC Inner Diameter. when they make it, it is used to hold water, so it does not need to have a uniform ID. It's varying ID's are one of the only complaints I have. Just try out a few sticks and see which fits right. I have had extremely tight CPVC, and some which is kind of like 9/16 brass.
GO OKLAHOMA SOONERS!

#8 fishingdude2044

fishingdude2044

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:25 PM

Yeah, I forgot to put brass. I love brass. All of my guns have it. I use 9/16 brass for most of my guns.
I have yet to use petg, but I have heard great reviews on it.

EDIT: You need CPVC. I used to use it for a lot of my guns before I switched to brass. It is a very good material. It can be found in the plumbing aisle.

i've seen some copper but no brass. As for the CPVC i've seen it to, my streamlines and stefans have to be twisted in slowly or the dart is totally squished in with no hope of being taken out.

I too have had this problem. It is the CPVC Inner Diameter. when they make it, it is used to hold water, so it does not need to have a uniform ID. It's varying ID's are one of the only complaints I have. Just try out a few sticks and see which fits right. I have had extremely tight CPVC, and some which is kind of like 9/16 brass.

okay i'll try that when I go up to home depot again.

#9 Mxer4life369

Mxer4life369

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:30 PM

Yeah that should do it. You can get brass at all hobby shops. I have a Hobbytown USA nearby, and I just go there. A couple things you should know about brass:
1. Its expensive as hell. ($4 for a foot of it.)
2. It tarnishes very easily.
3. It is extremely prone to bending/kinking due to it's softness.
GO OKLAHOMA SOONERS!

#10 fishingdude2044

fishingdude2044

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:34 PM

Thanks, everyone! That should do it for now. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head so yep.

Fishingdude2044

(any other help or advice is appreciated though)

Edited by fishingdude2044, 20 September 2008 - 09:36 PM.

#11 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:43 AM

I just thought I should clear some things up.

Most people use:

This is actually backwards... 17/32" brass is best for guns that release air slower (like springers) because it's tightness allows pressure to build up before the dart leaves the barrel. 9/16" brass is best for guns that release air very quickly (air guns) because it's looser so it has low friction on the dart, allowing it to gain as much speed as it can before it leaves the barrel.

3. It is extremely prone to bending/kinking due to it's softness.

I definitely would not say that brass is extremely prone to bending. It's actually fairly solid, especially compared to PETG. PETG should always be covered by a Sch. 40 1/2" PVC sleeve. Brass can be exposed and it shouldn't bend unless you throw it at a tree or something.

#12 Mxer4life369

Mxer4life369

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:41 AM

Brass can be exposed and it shouldn't bend unless you throw it at a tree or something.

Well, I have done this, out of utter frustration, and it completly fucked my brass. My gun wasn't working right, and I was sick of taking it back apart, and I just threw it. But yeah, dropping guns can also do this.
GO OKLAHOMA SOONERS!

#13 nightfinder

nightfinder

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:20 PM

Most people use:

I've found cpvc at home depot but it's extremely tight to where the stock streamlines have to be twisted into it and they still barely fit in half way.

is it half inch?
NerfGrassHopper
R u gay ur sig makes it look so.. just lokin' for anotha gay nerfer...

#14 fishingdude2044

fishingdude2044

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:30 PM

Most people use:

is it half inch?

They say it is. I'm going up to home depot later today to get some for my broken NF's and Ls

#15 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

As Black Fox said it all depends on what your darts fit. I got 800 feet of FBR about a week ago and I had no idea what it would fit. But it turned out to only fit PETG, So I use that. I would try that as well as the CPVC/PVC you are buying.
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#16 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:38 PM

if your cpvc is too tight get a dremmel, and some sort of grinding attachment. Insert inside cpvc and sand it down. If you have a drill you can probably do the same with progressively larger bits. A drill press works best if you have access to one, though you may want to build a rig to hold the cpvc in place while you drill.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#17 fishingdude2044

fishingdude2044

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:59 PM

okay so I picked up 10 feet of the cpvc and it fits my stefans and micros tight but...........

I couplered one of my NF and got 30 feet with the cpvc and the AR's removed!!!

I can't wait to cpvc my longshots!!! :lol:

#18 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:07 PM

Wait, what?

You should not CPVC your Longshot unless it's broken to the point where there's no other way to fix it. Please save yourself the trouble.

#19 fishingdude2044

fishingdude2044

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:15 PM

Wait, what?

You should not CPVC your Longshot unless it's broken to the point where there's no other way to fix it. Please save yourself the trouble.

Both the boltsleds are absolutely killed. Unless someone know's where that link is to make one I have no other choice. I have seen a boltsled made of metal if I remember correctly, but now that I need it I can't find it

By the way cpvc'ing a longshot is extremely hard to get the right measurements!!! :D

anyways my night-finder works awesome I just need to get a new spring combo, rubber bands, and a paint job and it should get some pretty good ranges (although a paintjob doesn't affect ranges).

#20 mocky

mocky

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:28 PM

Looking for the metal boltsled mod? Here it is then. http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=10273 Always look in modification directory first, literally only took me 10seconds to find it.

Edited by mocky, 21 September 2008 - 07:29 PM.

#21 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:46 PM

if your cpvc is too tight get a dremmel, and some sort of grinding attachment. Insert inside cpvc and sand it down. If you have a drill you can probably do the same with progressively larger bits. A drill press works best if you have access to one, though you may want to build a rig to hold the cpvc in place while you drill.

I ream out all of the CPVC I use (mostly for loaners and things I'm giving to the neighborhood kids) with a 13mm drill bit. I would use 13.5 or 17/32 if I had one, though. 13.5mm would be 0.5315", where 13mm is 0.5118". But at least it's all uniform then. Warning! Be very careful, and go very slowly. The CPVC is quite flexible and will jam on to the bit if allowed to.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#22 fishingdude2044

fishingdude2044

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:53 PM

Looking for the metal boltsled mod? Here it is then. http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=10273 Always look in modification directory first, literally only took me 10seconds to find it.

oh my bad. Sorry forgot about that I'll remember it next time though! :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users