Specializing The Big Blast

Looking for Advice

20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Maeglin Dubh_*

Guest_Maeglin Dubh_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:08 PM

I just got a pack from TRU containing two Single Teks and two Big Blasts.

With four rockets, I'll probably keep one as a functional rocket launcher. Just for kicks and giggles. Might plug the pump, remove the restrictor, and see what that does for performance.

But I came here because I need some more detailed advice on a particular topic...

I'd like to turn my spare into a loser rifle. If I can build a conversion system to swap out a shotgun system for a loser barrel, excellent, but the main objective here is a long-range, relatively quiet weapon.

Things I'd like to do...

Reduce firing noise...
Trim down some of the empty space...
Enhance range and accuracy...
Increase pump efficiency...
Possibly reinforce piston rod...

So, to sum up my ramblings, I'd like to make a dedicated loser BB, with possible shotgun integration if possible.
My modding experience consists solely of Nitefinders, so far, so I'm pretty basic at this. For tools, I've got a hacksaw, X-actos, sandpaper, a hand chuck, and hot glue.

Any advice? I've read some of the articles on modding the BB, but I usually like to get specific advice when I'm working on this sort of project.

#2 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:49 PM

For the most part, they are very easy to modify. You could actually mod both of them to be modular and still retain the ability to shoot missiles if you just make an adapter to the old barrels you cut off. I've kept the barrels from my BBB, and one of my SGSLs for use on the modded blasters. I used a 1" long SCH80, 1/2" pipe nipple, and stuck a piece of brass in the barrel and nipple, then just gooped them together. Works great, and is very sturdy. Also retains the entire stock length, unlike the method of gluing it in to a male pipe thread adapter.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#3 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

Just put a coupler on it. That way you can swap out a LOSER barrel for a shotgun barrel. To increase pump efficiency, you have two options. You can make a new pump tube and lengthen the pump tube. Or you can just add on a new pump (like bike tire mini-pump). Then just connect it to the tank via some tubing.

As for silencing it, there's no need. When you put a decently long barrel on it (about 18") the sound is virtually undetectable from longer ranges.

You can also just cut off the whole front of the blaster (anything in front of the coupler) to minimize dead space.

That's pretty much it. Pretty simple.

#4 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:03 PM

loser ... loser ... loser

*swoon*

Gotta love that filter.

*swoon*

Gotta love those 5.2 posts per day, eh?

#5 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:47 PM

Usually, I would just ignore that. But I perceive you to be a member of some standing. Or maybe I'm wrong there.

If you wish to accuse me of post-whoring, you'll find yourself challenged to back up the implication that some significant fraction of my posts have been frivolous. Yes, certainly, four or five a week may well have been. The one above, certainly. But I know that I have contributed useful and helpful articles to the community these past couple of months.

Was that supposed to be a justification for stupid posts? Contributions are not licenses for stupidity.

And before anyone questions my stupid post, consider that it was a reply to another stupid post only to make a point.

All I'm saying is that lately I've been realizing more than ever that each post we make has the potential to yield dozens of responses. That said, I don't think there's any justification for it no matter how humorous it is ( and you won't ever see one from me again ).

Edited by Rambo, 15 September 2008 - 04:48 PM.

#6 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:20 PM

Usually, I would just ignore that. But I perceive you to be a member of some standing. Or maybe I'm wrong there.

If you wish to accuse me of post-whoring, you'll find yourself challenged to back up the implication that some significant fraction of my posts have been frivolous. Yes, certainly, four or five a week may well have been. The one above, certainly. But I know that I have contributed useful and helpful articles to the community these past couple of months.

Shut the fuck up, who cares about someones' "standing" or contributions, we're here to talk about toy guns, don't get too cocky.

Alright, your Big Blast.

For the silence, you could try putting foam backer rod (used to make stefan darts) in the shell, but seeing that it's an air gun, it won't do much. Your best best is to make slits or holes in the barrel to reduce the pop, or in this case, the pshhhhhfoush. In the Modification Directory Sticky, there is a mod to a homemade silencer for airguns on the bottom of the 2/3rd post..

The enhance your range and accuracy, you should "Plug the pump". Directions are in the Directory too. But Don't pump it more than 15 times... 7-9 is usually good for me. Also, if you use homemade darts (stefans) I'd recommend some PETG plastic barrel tubing from One Man Clan. Its .50c a foot, and a great barrel material for airguns. 12 inches (a foot) barrel should be a good start, maybe less though.

To minimize, you can do CaptainSlug's mod, in which you cut off most of the front, but it still looks nice. If you'd like, you could cut off the cheek rest too, and anything else you'd like...

Pump efficiency.. Well, the Big Blast pump sucks IMO. I'd just go about replacing it if the fit is right, and its not expensive, but for now, you should be fine.

One warning, over pumping can and probably will snap the trigger.

Good luck!
-keef
Timothy M-Lick <3

#7 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:36 PM

If you want to know how to plug the pump without looking through the directory, just plug the hole on the end of your pump with some kind of glue, or put a screw in it.

I agree that Bob's post was useless, and also at the expense of another member. Every time I look at the Top 10 poster list, you are on the top, Bob. Try to cut down on the useless posts a bit.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#8 Kyrativ

Kyrativ

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:45 PM

http://nerfhaven.com...wtopic=8622&hl= + http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=8234

this will give you most of what you want not sure what you mean about the reinforcemnet thing though.

...damn it i just totally E-leg-humped captain slug.
The only nerfer who could kick your ass with a dart tag gun but not with a xbow

NERFSTRONG #44

#9 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:40 PM

I'm not sure why everyone here is so down on JSB... He actually contributes a fair amount of useful information here.

Shut the fuck up, who cares about someones' "standing" or contributions, we're here to talk about toy guns, don't get too cocky.

Well, lots of people do. Including myself. While I agree that things don't need to be too serious, it's nice not to have to worry about crap posts.

Try to cut down on the useless posts a bit.

Really?

Edited by Draconis, 15 September 2008 - 06:48 PM.

#10 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:12 PM

Enough flamming.

for your BBBB I would do CS mod to it, except use OMC's PETG as a barrel. I did this to mine and it has served me well.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#11 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:20 PM

Okay, I wasn't clear. Bob is very productive and constantly contributes, what with his reviews of guns and internal pictures. I'm just saying that it would be even better if those were his ONLY posts.

Draconis, I'm not exactly sure what you meant by that stab. Could you elaborate?
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#12 Guest_Maeglin Dubh_*

Guest_Maeglin Dubh_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I didn't realize there was a filter for a while... I know I've seen the word around, so maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.

Anyway, I'll probably try the minimization if I can think I can do it without botching.
Replacing the pump with a bike pump sounds like an excellent idea... I'll swing by the local Wally-World and see if I can pick up one that would fit.

How exactly would I do the coupler?

#13 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:42 PM

When it comes to The Word Which May Not be Spoken, the idea is all very well, right up until the point that you realize that the level of technological sophistication within the NIC has come so far that there are LOTS of guns that can throw a dart to the limit of safety, and beyond. Titans are so good at it that they're illegal at most wars. Big blasts and blast bazookas can do it with a mod taking all of 30 minutes, and Plusbows can do it, and they're springers. Range is just not the holy grail. On the subject of your BB: you should realize that if you plug the pump, it's going to be illegal at most organized wars. Also, if you're interested in shotgunning it, the whole idea of couplering a gun is that the barrel system becomes modular; nothing's stopping you from making up some shells and plugging them right in. ~Rork
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#14 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:58 PM

*swoon*

You're certainly in no position to speak Mr. Holier-then-thou. I know there was a time when I had this conversation with you about post whoring. It's a shame the daily poster totals don't go back in time. I know you HAVE TO HAVE proof of EVERYTHING, ALWAYS. Just take my word for once.

About Rambo:

But I perceive you to be a member of some standing. Or maybe I'm wrong there.

....well there's your problem right there </hick>. Seriously? With a Hamburglar Avatar? SERIOUSLY?! Rambo's not a bad guy, but he just picks the wrong things to pursue sometimes. No harm done, either of you, but knock it the fuck off too.

keef, don't get involved in shit that does not need you to be involved in. Thanks.
I hate you.

#15 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:55 PM

Thanks OMC... I was having almost exactly the same conversation with Rambo over PM.

#16 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:14 PM

Thanks OMC... I was having almost exactly the same conversation with Rambo over PM.

Once again you feel like you can talk about me as if you know me based on reading a bunch of my posts?

You're certainly in no position to speak Mr. Holier-then-thou. I know there was a time when I had this conversation with you about post whoring. It's a shame the daily poster totals don't go back in time. I know you HAVE TO HAVE proof of EVERYTHING, ALWAYS. Just take my word for once.

Yes, this is true. I don't deny that I occasionally posted once per hour over the course of a day. This is significantly different than maintaining one post per five hours over the course of your entire membership. Furthermore isn't there some applicable adage that says something about teaching based on your own mistakes or some shit?

Edited by Rambo, 16 September 2008 - 08:17 PM.

#17 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:04 PM

Once again you feel like you can talk about me as if you know me based on reading a bunch of my posts?

No, I just see how you post, and that you seem to be a little hypocritical. This, in fact, may be because you have learned your lesson over the course of your time here. But regardless, it's still a little rude.

Edited by Draconis, 17 September 2008 - 01:19 PM.

#18 mrcrouse1

mrcrouse1

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:49 PM

Try my mod you can use shotgun or loser easily.

#19 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:50 PM

Wow the bitchfight is still going? *shutting up now*

ONTOPIC: go with threaded couplers so you can swap out singled for a shottie. plus its stronger than the basic one, so your barrel doesnt fly at your target (it happened to me but with a homemade marshmallow gun)
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#20 Dr Rockzo

Dr Rockzo

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:51 PM

threaded bushing + skrew on barrels of choice works well for me.

#21 mrcrouse1

mrcrouse1

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:56 PM

I personaly have never had my shotgun shell fly out. If you push it in enough it should be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users