Terminology

Learn it

15 replies to this topic

#1 CyberPunkGunner

CyberPunkGunner

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:26 PM

Part of me snapped awhile ago about the use of the words "Clip" and "Magazine" when referring to dart delivering systems found in the semi and fully automatic weapons. I was on a weapons forum and saw this
Posted Image
that is when I realized I needed to speak up.

There you go kiddies. Try to get it right, it's not that hard and you just might sound intelligent; though don't over flame those not completely on the ball in an attempt to seem learned.
You were born a winner
You were the fastest sperm.

#2 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:45 PM

You aren't the first. This will mostly likely be a huge flame war. People aren't going to change what they say, whether it be mag, clip or magazine.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#3 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:47 PM

Part of me snapped awhile ago about the use of the words "Clip" and "Magazine" when referring to dart delivering systems found in the semi and fully automatic weapons. I was on a weapons forum and saw this
Posted Image
that is when I realized I needed to speak up.

There you go kiddies. Try to get it right, it's not that hard and you just might sound intelligent; though don't over flame those not completely on the ball in an attempt to seem learned.

What in gods name? This is a complete waste of time clip and magazine yes there is a difference
but WHO GIVES A SHIT AND A HALF?
seriously, this is not something to start a whole topic about.
Speak up but who will listen?
I understand where you are coming from probably a fire arm kinda guy?( i don't know i'm just guessing)
this is a nerf community...not a mil som community.

*SlowGuitarman you are to fast! what is this deception you posted before me!

Edited by joeyaglr444, 16 September 2008 - 11:49 PM.

Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#4 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:28 AM

Meh. Nerf guns are nerf guns, real guns are real guns, and never the twain shall meet. The technical terminology doesn't matter as long as people know what's being discussed, and this sort of universal terminology tends to come about via processes that are both random and highly organic--not because someone compiled a nerf dictionary. ~Rork

Edited by rork, 17 September 2008 - 12:28 AM.

<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#5 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:55 AM

Meh. Nerf guns are nerf guns, real guns are real guns, and never the twain shall meet. The technical terminology doesn't matter as long as people know what's being discussed, and this sort of universal terminology tends to come about via processes that are both random and highly organic--not because someone compiled a nerf dictionary. ~Rork

Actually, terminology annoys me greatly, but only on two fronts, and you brought one up rork.

First off, they are called Nerf blasters, not guns. This is something that Hasbro emphasizes. They are NOT guns! Guns are bad. Look at paintball. They no longer refer to their staple devices as guns. They are now called markers. The term "gun" has a bad stigma behind it and to hear a kid talking about his collection of Nerf guns, all anyone hones in on is the word "guns" and they think the child is disturbed and they fear another Columbine! Hell, my co-workers think I'm a little off because I have a big collection of Nerf, and though I never call them guns, they know of them as such since they look like guns, so they think I'm unstable.

The other thing that irks me is when people refer to the darts as bullets. I heard people saying that at the two most recent wars in NJ. They are darts people! A bullet, as stated in a dictionary is the following:
  • a projectile that is fired from a gun
  • a solid projectile propelled by a firearm or air gun and is normally made from metal (usually lead)
A nerf dart or a stefan are not solid nor are they fired from a gun, they are fired from a blaster, so they can't be confused with bullets.

The clip/magazine debate is one that never bothered me as I used the correct terminology thanks to being in the military. I ignored people that got it wrong as, if they haven't been around firearms that used those items, they could make that mistake. It is constantly referred to incorrectly in both TV and movies.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#6 The Inventor Guy

The Inventor Guy

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:09 AM

Yeah, you're right, I mean I'd be one of the first to take a dig at this.

In the defence though, Hasbro do market them both as Clips.
For the discussion, they function completely differently.
In the defence, people know what you mean especially when you mention a particular blaster.
For the discussion, umm...hmm...
In the defence, it's easier to say "clip".
For: 1, Defence: 3

ie
It really doesn't matter, people don't give a shit.

-Tidge.

Also active on NerfHQ as Tidge.

#7 Mepain

Mepain

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:35 AM

http://nerfhaven.com...topic=11733&hl=

#8 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:11 AM

Posted Image
This may be at least semi correct in the world of firearms (any time you use NERF parts to explain firearms parts there's going to be technical descrepancies), but in the NERF world, that's just completely backwards.

Hasbro marketed it as a MAGstrike that has magazines. It is therefore a magazine, but you can call it a clip too if you like. The Recon/LongShot clips are clips as long as you're NERFing.

And just for the record, I'm going shooting today with my Grandpa and dad with an old Winchester Repeating Rife (The Gun that Won the West). With 250 grain rounds, it has a pretty heavy kick).

Edited by imaseoulman, 17 September 2008 - 08:55 AM.

#9 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:49 AM

I wouldn't have expected this kind of thing to be such a hot-button. There really isn't an analog to the magstrike magazine in real firearms. There is no weapon that has ten individual stub barrels, in a row, in a removable section. It's silly to get your panties all bunched up because of this particular piece of terminology. Especially when Hasbro themselves should be the ones making the decision on what THEIR products are called.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#10 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:33 AM

A good deal of the confusion results from Hasbro itself getting the terms mixed up. The Longshot manuals calls the box magazines "clips" and as just stated the Magstrike manuals calls its clips "magazines".

However a Nerf "clip" also defies the firearm definition of a "clip" because a Nerf "clip" includes barrels and is a vital part of the advancement mechanism.

In the end you have to separate the two more simplistically by simply referring to anything that includes a spring as a "magazine" and anything that does not as a "clip" whether it's completely accurate or not.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#11 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:40 PM

First off, they are called Nerf blasters, not guns. This is something that Hasbro emphasizes. They are NOT guns! Guns are bad. Look at paintball. They no longer refer to their staple devices as guns. They are now called markers. The term "gun" has a bad stigma behind it and to hear a kid talking about his collection of Nerf guns, all anyone hones in on is the word "guns" and they think the child is disturbed and they fear another Columbine! Hell, my co-workers think I'm a little off because I have a big collection of Nerf, and though I never call them guns, they know of them as such since they look like guns, so they think I'm unstable.

I own Nerf Guns. Or Dart Guns. Blasters shoot blaster bolts and are carried by dashing smugglers and whiney farm boys. If a squirt gun or water pistol can be called such, or a staple gun or a confetti cannon or a radar gun, then I don't see any reason to submit to Hasbro's kid friendly marketing. Sure, it was a blaster when I took it out of the box, but now it's my Nerf Gun. Totally agree with you on the bullets thing though. Bullets are for unordered lists and people who aren't smart enough to say 'cartridge'.

If your coworkers think you're unstable, it's because you're an adult with a toy collection. It sucks, but it's a stigma that's fairly prevalent.

Edited by Langley, 17 September 2008 - 02:42 PM.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#12 TheNerfLoki

TheNerfLoki

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:45 PM

I agree with you on one part. Mags have springs. Clips do not. Although there are several different kinds of clips (Strip clip, full moon, internal clip) They are made by nerf and nerf/Hasbro makes their guns terminology.

Edited by TheNerfLoki, 17 September 2008 - 07:18 PM.

Am I the only one who uses the sig function for a sig?
TNL,

#13 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:24 PM

First off, they are called Nerf blasters, not guns. This is something that Hasbro emphasizes. They are NOT guns! Guns are bad. Look at paintball. They no longer refer to their staple devices as guns. They are now called markers.

Actually, they were always called markers because that's what they were used for. The popular connotation 'gun' was attached to the physical object because it propelled a bullet-like object at a target. Does that mean a bow is a gun?
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#14 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:29 PM

A bow is as close to being a gun as a nerf blaster is.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#15 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:49 PM

Actually, a crossbow is closer to being a gun than a standard long/re-curve/compound bow is. Although they all do have a very similar concept.
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#16 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:01 PM

Stylistically, maybe. My point was that they are substantively different in terms of their operation and function, and it's misleading to try to think of nerf blasters in terms of firearms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users