Disk Shot Modification

The Basics...and internal CPVC coupler

6 replies to this topic

#1 Z4

Z4

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

Hello again, Z4 here. I prefer my Disk Shot over other spring pistols. I like its grip, and it is very reliable. I was happy with a simple CPVC mod, but decided to take it up a notch with an internal coupling.

Materials
1/2" CPVC
1/2" CPVC coupler
Teflon or Electrical tape
A better spring (opt.)
Hot glue/Plumber's Goop/your favorite adhesive

Tools
Pipe Cutters
Dremel (opt.)
Screwdriver

I minimized my Disk Shot. Most minimizations hack the excess off at the inner wall, but I wanted the retain the ability to use the ammo holder, so I cut it off even with the trigger guard. The holder is very solid when popped in, but can be removed fairly easily for whatever reason.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Open the gun up. Try not to lose the catch spring, it'll try to pop out. Remove all the ARs.
Posted Image
I replaced the spring with a Tech Target spring. When I give this thing a complete overhaul, I'll put in something stronger. I also wrapped 2 layers of Teflon tape around the plunger head. Note* Teflon tape isn't sticky. If you do more than one layer, it'll naturally stick to itself. Putting the O-ring on over it will hold it down perfectly.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Cut a 5/8" long piece of CPVC. Adhere it to the end of the plunger chamber. I suggest gluing the two orange pieces together, and to the plunger tube itself. Once the adhesive is dry, add a 1/2" coupler.
Posted Image
This step is mostly for cosmetics, though it does add a little stability. Take the orange ring from the front and Dremel it out until CPVC slides through it with no resistance.
Posted Image
Put all the internals back in. Don't forget the two screws in the plunger chamber, and don't forget the catch and trigger springs. I added a bunch of huge Loghomestore FBR for silencing. It works well for that if nothing else.
Posted Image
Close the gun back up. It looks almost completely stock from the outside.
Posted Image
I find that a 3 3/4" barrel works best.
Posted Image

Ranges are about 55' flat with a pair of mini-bungees.

If anything's unclear, don't hesitate to ask.

Questions, comments...?
Z4 of the NIC
"We are here to have fun with the toys we love in a civilized and friendly manner."- Talio

#2 rippen11

rippen11

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:26 PM

Did you reinforce the catch spring at all? I assume that you only used the Tech Target spring only, am I correct? Very nice mod, and it looks pretty good. I am considering doing that to my Disk Shot.

EDIT:I just thought of this, but wouldn't you do the same thing to coupler-mod a Nightfinder? The internals seem to be the same, so I assume that it would be the same. I'm sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, but please excuse my noobness.

Edited by rippen11, 16 September 2008 - 08:36 PM.

Who says i buy balls from a store?

Nightfinder

Why is your cat in your arsenal? Perhaps it shoots LASERS?!?!

Captain Slug

#3 L0pper

L0pper

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:52 PM

EDIT:I just thought of this, but wouldn't you do the same thing to coupler-mod a Nightfinder? The internals seem to be the same, so I assume that it would be the same. I'm sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, but please excuse my noobness.

I believe he probably favors it for its looks and the feel of the grip.

#4 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:57 PM

Nice! I like the minimization: less nonsense while retaining the chunky disc shot goodness. I'm a nite finder junkie, so I'll have to break down and invest in one of these. Very clean, too--not that that means a lot coming from me, but still. And for the record, teflon tape is infinitely superior to e-tape for seal improvement. As for doing this mod to a NF, there's not really enough room; the shell has to be dremeled to accomodate the coupler, which will be exposed. You could get pretty close to a "stock" look, though. ~Rork
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#5 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:00 PM

Great mod- it looks nice. I'm a little disappointed with the ranges. 55' with bungies? I've never seen the stock spring for the disk shot gun, but I have several ttg's. I'm not to impressed with their power, but then again, it's been a while and I might be confusing it with another spring. Anyway, great work.

I added a bunch of huge Loghomestore FBR for silencing. It works well for that if nothing else.

Not to change the subject, but are you implying here that the foam isn't good for darts? I was considering ordering some...

Edited by BlackFox, 16 September 2008 - 09:02 PM.

"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#6 Z4

Z4

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:24 PM

rippen11: No, I didn't. The TTG spring isn't a huge power boost, so it really doesn't need it. It's the only spring in it, correct. This could be done in a similar way with a Nitefinder if you didn't cut all the case off. Thanks!

Rork: Thanks! These things are clearanced all over the place, I'm going to pick up a few more too. It always means something to me to get a compliment.

BlackFox: Thanks, the ranges do seem a tad low but I plan on overhauling this thing to the extreme. I'm going to do everything possible to squeeze the most performance out of this thing. TTG springs are a bit more powerful than the stock spring. Loghomestore foam is excellent quality and very durable, it's just, HUGE. It only fits in 19/32" brass and larger.

Thanks for all the compliments!

Edited by .Z4., 16 September 2008 - 09:24 PM.

Z4 of the NIC
"We are here to have fun with the toys we love in a civilized and friendly manner."- Talio

#7 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:06 PM

Loghomestore foam is excellent quality and very durable, it's just, HUGE. It only fits in 19/32" brass and larger.

Oh my. That sucks! I'm disappointed at the quality of available fbr. I'm pretty much limited to ACE brand and Frost king. I don't like either. :.(

Ok, sorry for the massive hijack.

Edited by BlackFox, 16 September 2008 - 10:07 PM.

"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users