Photo

Plumbers Goop Vs. Epoxy

12 replies to this topic

#1 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:37 AM

I was wondering if there's any major difference between the two, except for the fact that Plumbers goop is one part and epoxy is two. I'm assuming that epoxy is stronger, but plumbers goop is cheaper and seems to work fine for most applications anyway.

P.S. Is a spring constant of 130 too much for the LS?

Edited by Maeric, 14 September 2008 - 09:38 AM.

Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#2 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:53 AM

I prefer plumber's goop. You can get it on your hands and it can easily be removed unklike epoxy.

Plumber's Goop takes longer to fully dry.

It really depends on what you're glueing. If you're gluing brass to plastic or something like that use plumber's goop. If you're gluing plastic to plastic and it really needs to be strong maybe use epoxy.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#3 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:07 AM

Acctually there is a specific epoxy for plastic to plastic and it's called plastic bonder the only brand that I
've seen that sells it though is Devcon.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#4 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:35 AM

Plumber's goop is good for making seals, because it remains a bit flexible. Epoxy is good when rigid strength is needed.
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#5 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

They're very different adhesives. Epoxy is for holding two surfaces rigidly together, and it's stronger than goop. Goop is better for sealing, which your epoxy may not do well.

#6 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:17 PM

Plus goop is a lot easier to rip off, making what ever glue job you did wrong slightly reversable.
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#7 Nova

Nova

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:38 PM

If you live where its hot you might not want to use plumbers goop to seal barrels or air gaps or what ever. It has failed under temperature with some of my guns. Around 90 to 100 degrees you might get a leak. But then again if you live in Alaska, i wouldn's worry too much.

I love epoxy, and it loves me.

Nova
I need a life..

#8 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:48 PM

Ok, Goop it is then.

I tried the spring, it works, and it kicks like no other, but I'm starting to worry that it may be to much for the bolt sled. Constant: 130
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#9 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:44 PM

It doesn't hurt to have both around. They both run at about $5.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned dry time. Yes, plumbers goop has a better seal, but it takes 24-48 hours to dry. Five minute epoxy is just that- it dries in five mintues.

Of course, there's also plumbers epoxy putty. I've experimented with several different brands and I'd recommend it. However, I bought three sticks of the massive ACE hardware brand and it sucks majorly. Oddly enought, the normal size ACE brand works great. It showed me that more isn't always a better deal.
"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#10 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:46 PM

Of course, there's also plumbers epoxy putty. I've experimented with several different brands and I'd recommend it. However, I bought three sticks of the massive ACE hardware brand and it sucks majorly. Oddly enought, the normal size ACE brand works great. It showed me that more isn't always a better deal.

I'm glad it wasn't just mine then. I tried to use it to hold a nitefinder on another gun and it came right off. They have magic putty (BILLY MAYS HERE) at my local Walgreens for 3 dollars for 2 sticks. Has anybody tried it to any avail?

trans as shit because fuck you

#11 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:55 PM

They have magic putty (BILLY MAYS HERE) at my local Walgreens for 3 dollars for 2 sticks. Has anybody tried it to any avail?

It is actually called mighty Putty and yes I have used it. It works good. I used it on my Sweetness ( My Spy Gear Launcher ) and it has held up pretty good.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#12 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:00 PM

I'm glad it wasn't just mine then. I tried to use it to hold a nitefinder on another gun and it came right off. They have magic putty (BILLY MAYS HERE) at my local Walgreens for 3 dollars for 2 sticks. Has anybody tried it to any avail?

For me it got about twice as hot (as the stuff I mention in the next line) and melted the piece of Petg it was on. Ridiculous. It's also a lot more expensive here.. Like $10 for 3 sticks. I stuck with some regular home depot stuff, and it has been doing a fine job for me.
Teehee.

#13 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

It is actually called mighty Putty and yes I have used it. It works good. I used it on my Sweetness ( My Spy Gear Launcher ) and it has held up pretty good.

I always call it magic for some reason, I don't know why. But thats good to know, I'll pick some up.

EDIT: Splitlip, it heated up? The ACE stuff was cool the whole time.

Edited by CaliforniaPants, 14 September 2008 - 08:19 PM.

trans as shit because fuck you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users